Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there guys,
as you may know, I just phucked out my PC once again, and I will need to reformat it. Hmm, I'm with all the drivers (I think), the one I certainly know I don't have is for my modem. It is a LG LM-156N. Does someone have or know where I can get this driver?
Also, does someone have some tips for me? never formatted a HDD before :emb:

thanks so much

·
カラム
365 Posts
I can help with formatting.

Step 1: Boot using your boot Floppy
Step 2: Type in the command format c: on the directory A:\>
Step 3: this will pop up: WARNING, ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE DISK DRIVE C: WILL BE LOST! type in "Y" and Press enter.
Step 4: Let it format, type in the new volume and there, a perfectly formatted HDD.

·
カラム
365 Posts
How much time it takes?

·
カラム
365 Posts
Not long at all. trust me.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Next time makes partition in you don't wanna lose all your datas again ;)

·
カラム
365 Posts
Good idea. Anyway the Good thing is he told me He's putting all his data onto a backup CD.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Yeah, better than nothing, but partitionning next time will save him the horrible time spent to burn/copy-paste everything :p

·
カラム
365 Posts
YEah but Quick format skips some stuff, and I dont know what unconditional does :O

EDIT:
@Miretank: I found Modem Drivers. I'll PM you the details.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@GCFreak: whoa! I found them too! later may we talk? i'm a hurry now :D
thanks everyone, but now goes a bit more questions:

-do i need the microsoft office? r there progs that are like Word, Excel, etc? which progs do you recommend?
-Do I need anymore drivers?

THANKS A LOT,
Bye!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Unless you have really ancient parts, all the drivers can be easily found online.

·
Registered
231 Posts
this is on formatting HDs:

where i work, we use a program called Boot N Nuke. google it, its freeware. when you boot your pc with it, follow all onscreen directions, and it will basically wipe every last bit of data. this ensures that no "leftovers" of a previous OS remain on your HD somewhere; believe me, ive had this happen before, usually as a result of bad sectors. usually a 1 or 3-pass wipe works fine.

also, if you have a hard drive that has bad sectors on it, this program will fix those errors, but you have to lose all your data of course

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
where i work, we use a program called Boot N Nuke. google it, its freeware. when you boot your pc with it, follow all onscreen directions, and it will basically wipe every last bit of data. this ensures that no "leftovers" of a previous OS remain on your HD somewhere; believe me, ive had this happen before, usually as a result of bad sectors. usually a 1 or 3-pass wipe works fine.

Sorta like the macintosh disc utility :). 1-pass (quick format) 3-pass(destroy all os info) 16-pass (most data unrecoverable) and 36 pass (goverment files)

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
heh, and I am alive =D
Thanks everybody for help.
BUT I fear I've made a mistake. I formated by booting the PC with WinXP disc (since my floppy disc is giving errors and the blank cd I had was used in the backup), formated fastly (10-15 min i think, I was imagining about 3hrs! :p) and reinstalled the Windows.
However I've seen that my HDD is now in NTFS. Nothing against it, I'd experience with NTFS before, its good, but for games is terrible. I still haven't installed a game to test (just installed de drivers and Firefox - or course ;) ), but I'm wondering what was mistake while formatting.
Btw, its very cool to format! :D :evil: now I'm sure I'll format my PC more times! :evil:
The suggested Boot N Nuke I'll use when I get a blank cd, then I'll burn it in and reformat the Hard disk again (don't know why, but I'm not sure if my HD is clean enough =\)
Very noob question: How do I partition the HDD? :emb:
Thanks for the help ;)

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
>> Just a tip: have a 3GB partition for Windows and clean it with a program called DustbusterXP after you installed everything

I recommend 5gb personally, esp if you have plenty of devices and SP2

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.