Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For better testing purpose, we need Xbe files that use no sound.
Everything that works on cxbx and has no sound are usefull.

For example polygon samples and stuff.

everything helps testing dxbx.

Greetings,

Shadow_tj

·
Registered
423 Posts
Let me chime in with an explanation for this request for XBE's *not* using DirectSound :

Dxbx is nearing 100% completion regarding the translation of Cxbx's C++ code to Delphi. We've worked out a lot of quirks in the translation of types (like BOOL != bool != boolean != Boolean), but there's one thing we can't seem to get our heads around : the X_CDirectSoundStream type.

The declaration of the X_CDirectSoundStream class in Cxbx is a really weird piece of C++ code, messing around with the Virtual Method Table in ways we don't fully understand yet, let alone translate!
Most other parts of Cxbx are fully translated now, some files (like EmuD3D8) have been reviewed dozens of times, fixing every little discrepancy we could find. Alas, all this has not yet lead to actually showing anything on screen yet -which makes our emulation a kind of an abstract thing:

The only thing we see, is a big black screen with nothing on it, and a bunch of log-files being filled, until Dxbx crashes on some sound-related call.

Hence the request for simple XBE's - we already have a few, like 'donut' and 'dolphin', but not much else, really. What I'd like to test with, are the XBEs KingOfC wrote about here : kingofc's inofficial page and a bunch of simple (compiled!) XDK samples.

Thanks in advance!

·
Shadow of nothing...
6,071 Posts
Okay, here's what I have to offer right off.

1. FakeCursor: Very simple program. Use the controller (D-pad) to move the cursor around.
2. MD2Loader: This is an md2 loader I ported to Xbox a while ago. Works on Cxbx just fine, and comes with a 3911 and 5558 version.
3. PixelShaderTest: 3 working examples I used to test Cxbx's pixel shader capabilities. Cxbx still uses default pixel shaders and does not emulate them yet. This will be a good opportunity to test it now. Contains 5558 and 4627 builds :)
4. QuadListTest: This was giving Cxbx alot of trouble. When trouble shooting quad lists (D3DPT_QUADLIST) for games like Panzer and Robotech: Battlecry, I wrote this to test Cxbx's ability to render quad lists using indexed primitives. There's a big problem with Cxbx, but works fine on a real Xbox. :(

Hopefully this helps. Getting the last two samples will be a challenge. These examples use 5558 unless stated otherwise. :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thank you very much!

I already noticed our pattern-based symbol-detection makes a few mistakes here and there - once thats fixed I hope to see some visuals, finally (cross fingers etc).

Now, go preparing your job interview :thumb:

·
Shadow of nothing...
6,071 Posts
Thank you very much!

I already noticed our pattern-based symbol-detection makes a few mistakes here and there - once thats fixed I hope to see some visuals, finally (cross fingers etc).

Now, go preparing your job interview :thumb:
One helpful hint for pattern detection. Be careful when using similar XDKs to locate certain functions because you can get false positives. This happened very often with Jet Set Radio Future when I was trying to improve support for XDK 4134 and 4034. I hope that this helps avoid future problems :)

Thanks, looking forward to it!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you very much, hopefully we will get some screens now :)
Good luc with the interview.. let us know how it went ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts