Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need your help badly with win xp beta 2 ...please please please pleaseeeeeeeee

hey guys i wanted to know whether i should install the winxp beta 2 .if yes, will i face any problems with hardwares and softwares compatability . Will i be able to update the drivers of the hardwares which are not signerd and verified by Microsoft... really need the answer fast guys thankssss.

p:s should i install win 2000 but then again i heard it had a some major compatability issues.

·
Registered
513 Posts
>guys i wanted to know whether i should install the winxp beta 2
Why make your life more complex than it needs to be? Stick with Win2k (which you apparently have, given what you'd said below) since the SPs are available and you're more likely to be able to get advice from others should you encounter problems. I, for one, don't plan to "upgrade" (if you can even call it that) to XP, as there are known issues regarding Microsoft's rather unsavory attitudes towards their user's privacy, not to mention that given that Win2k runs perfectly well for me.

>should i install win 2000 but then again i heard it had a some
>major compatability issues
No more than you're likely to have with XP, which is based on 2k's kernel. In addition, you have to be wary of drivers/applications that aren't aware of XP and thusly won't run. Personally, while I had some problems with Win2k when it was first introduced, I fully expected it, given that it was a new OS. Now that its matured (and the SPs are available) I have very few problems with it (most of said problems are related to crummy hardware/software vendors that can't be bothered to write good drivers, but I digress). In addition, with SP2, there's the integrated compatibility option which has helped me to get most of my previously broken games to work once again. Of course, YMMV.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
>>> there's the integrated compatibility option which has helped me to get most of my previously broken games to work once again. Of course, YMMV.<<<

what do u mean by that and how can i achieve it. and can u give me all the service packs links that has been released by microsft for win 2000 proffesional...thanks cluthu ure a life saver

K

·
0 Posts
WinXP beta 2? heh that is pretty old. If you actually got it legit then you would have RC2 by now ... makes you wonder ;)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the reply betamax. one more thing ppl. my sound drivers have not been updated fo windows 2000. the latest drivers are only based till win 98 and win nt 4.0 . so i if i upgrade it system to 2000 will my sound card work with 2000 or not. thanks

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well the pc which im abiut to upgrade has a machone pci sound system. i know i know it aint a branded one so thats why u havent heard anything about it. so regarding the service pack . do i need to install two operating system i mean win 98 and win 2000 in order for the games to work in win 98 or does the service pack contains drivers which provides the win 98 compatability to the games running in win 2000.. thankss

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
No,you don't need to install two OS,Win2K comes with a compatibility mode which trys to run games incompatible with Win2K but compatible with Win9x,but still,all games don't run.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Well in my case I have a dual boot between win2k and winME. This is so that I can run games that would otherwise not run. Any game release since the os came out runs ok... in fact of all the games I have tried only 1 refused to work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts