Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok a friend just borrowed me a new CPU so i could play HL2 decently, P4 2.4Ghz, so i installed it, i think i did everything right but the system isnt booting. So i when to the bios and in the cpu speed i had 2 options (1700 and 2266). It doesnt boot if i set it to 2266Ghz but it boots if i use 1700. There is also the manual option but i dunno how to work with it :( If i set it to 2266 and boot trough safe mode (that works), in DXdiag it appears P4 1.70Ghz, ~2.3Ghz, dunno what that means.

Also when i was putting thermal past around the CPU i think one or 2 pins might have gotten a little bit of the past. But if they did it was almost nothing. Think that was it?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's an 800. But i dunno what to set in the CPU freqency. On my 1700 it was set to 100/33, and i read that the cpu freqency times the CPU frequency multiplayer = the CPU speed. My multiplyer is set to 17 and i can't change it. So the closest i can get to 2.4 is 140 but that doesnt boot either. And btw what does the 33 mean in 100/33 in the CPU frequency?

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Metalmurphy said:
It's an 800. But i dunno what to set in the CPU freqency. On my 1700 it was set to 100/33, and i read that the cpu freqency times the CPU frequency multiplayer = the CPU speed. My multiplyer is set to 17 and i can't change it. So the closest i can get to 2.4 is 140 but that doesnt boot either. And btw what does the 33 mean in 100/33 in the CPU frequency?
100/33 is most likely the setting for the FSB/PCI speed ratio. Your P4 1.7 had a 100 mhz FSB Quad Pumped and a 33 mhz PCI with a 66 mhz AGP. I think you may be overclocking your PCI/agp speeds beyond specification. Does your motherboard support the 800mhz FSB with correct PCI/AGP speed ratios? Ie. 200/33/66 FSB/PCI/AGP. You can also check for a bios update for your motherboard.

P4's are mutiplier locked. You'd need to do some CPU chip modding to unlock it. I think your Motherboard may not support the 200/33 FSB/PCI setting with a multiplier of 12. 200 mhz FSB x 12 = 2400 mhz. But if your multiplier is locked at 17, then it'd be 17 * 141 = 2400 mhz. Maybe the P4 is a P4b 533 mhz FSB processor. Then that would be about right.

What's the motherboard your trying it on?

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's an ASUS P4S533-E and yes the mutiplayer is locked, and the 141 didnt work so maybe it is a 533 FSB processor. TO what should i set the CPU freqency if it is? And another thing, is there anyway i can tell what's the original speed of the CPU? I dont have the manual and now my friend is saying he isnt sure but he thinks its a 2.4.

Thanks for the help fivefeet8, i real never understood all this hardware stuff :(

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Well 533Mhz is 133Mhz Quad Pumped. 17x133=2.2Ghz... Which is not 2.4 as you have specified. Perhaps your CPU is not in fact a 2.4 but a 2.2Ghz P4. It only makes sense..

Are you absolutely sure what speed your P4 is?

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
It looks like your Motherboard also doesn't support the 800 Mhz FSB P4's. If the multiplier is locked at 17, then you'd need to set your FSB at 133 quad pumped to 533 mhz. But then the CPU won't be running at 2.4 but at 2.261 mhz.

It's strange that Dxdiag would report a P4 1.7 ~ 2.4. That would mean that it's an overclocked P4 1.7ghertz running at 2.4 ghertz. But then again, a P4 1.7 w/400mhz FSB would actually be 17*100 = 1700 mhz. Isn't that what you had before?

Try putting the CPU into another P4 system which does support the 800 mhz FSB. If it reports the same thing, then the CPU might just be a P4 1.7 w/400 mhz FSB. If it runs at 2.4 w/800mhz FSB, then it might be your motherboard that is reporting the wrong CPU settings.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hum yes my original settigs had the cpu frequency at 100/33 working at 1700Ghz. And no im not sure whats the correct CPU speed :( Is there anyway i can find out? even buy trying out diferent settings one of at time?

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Have you tried looking at the chip itself? As far as I know, Intel prints the Mhz, Bus Speed and voltage on the integrated heat spreader of the P4 Chips.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hum nop, its just blank, with some black spots from the thermal paste i guess.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well wierd thing, my 1.7 doenst haven anything written either. Is this in the CPU it self or the fan?

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
It is written on the CPU... Here's an example...

Perhaps the IHS has been lapped and the writing sanded off.. In any case, why not use CPU-Z to find out the true speed?

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hum board is set to jumper free so everything is done in bios. Ill read the manual about it

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like my friend was wrong by miles :/

Sorry for the useless thread guys, i really thought it was a 2.4.

Anyway im thinking on overclocking my CPU then, i read all i have to do is increase the CPU frequency slowly and see if its stable, but how do i know if its stable or not?

*edit* oops wrong screenshot

·
Interplay sucks!
1,219 Posts
Run Prime 95 Torture test for a couple of hours, in Small FTT's or Blend mode.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts