Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

first of all , yes i read wikipedia facts about UPnP... :D
What Iam woundering is, if I have Winxp, A torrent Client that have UPnP Support & a Router(with firewall) that Support UPnP(and enabled), Dont i Need to port forward(manually) the choosen port in the ruter(to maximize download speed), or i have misunderstood about UPnP?

Thanks alot,

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
As long as your router and the application you're using support UPnP, you should not need to touch anything. Speeds should be the same. On my MN-500, the UPnP port forwarding entries showed up in the tables where I manually configured them. It's basically the same thing.

Edit: You probably don't even realize this, but MSN Messenger and Windows Media Player take advantage of this feature. So, you've likely been using it the whole time and not even known it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hehe,

thanks very much for the useful info...first time i coudnt belive that...but dosent it makes it easier to hack?, i mean a hacker could open a port?, is that method secured?

thanks again :)

edit: if your program opens a port, then you close the program ....does the port still remaining opend?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Some high-end routers have more advanced functionality that allow you to set ACLs defining who can and can't open ports through UPnP. For the most part, however, the "cheapie" routers will only allow anybody that's inside the LAN to open ports. So, it's not possible for an individual from an external network, such as the Internet to open up ports on your router.

Some programs will close the port as part of their shutdown process while others leave them open. The router has no way of knowing that the application using the port has been terminated since it can only view network activity.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.