Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as it apperas from teh title I'm in of some help regarding my english. I am supposed to find and correct any grammatical mistakes visible in these sentences. The hard part is, that i have to explain my corrections :mad:

1. The dog wagged it's tail. (i think it's "its")

2. The wolfes were hungry. ("wolves" perhaps?)

3. The police is overworked. ("are" instead of "is"?)

4. She is unhappy to be without a work. (no ideas)

5. He is the only I would ask to help me. ("one" instead of "I"?)

6. The food tastes really well. ("good" instead og "well"?)

7. He said he wanted to go and lie down. Because he felt sick with worry. "lay and not "lie"? and no full stop, perhams a comma?))

8. That ain't no way to talk to a stranger. ("is" instead og "ain't"?)

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
1. Should be "its"

2. Should be "wolves"

3. "is" is alright, but it also depends on the context of use, if you're referring to "police" as a single collective body (i.e. as one entity) then it should be "is", but if your referring to several individual police personnel then "are" should be used.

4. Remove "a", since "work" only classifies as an abstract noun at best.

5. Should be "He is the only one I would ask for help" or "to me" is okay too, but "for help" sounds more suitable.

6. "Good" is more suitable.

7. "Because" shouldn't have a full stop (period) before it since it's a conjunction and is used to join sentences. Also it should be "he felt sick from worry", so: "He said he wanted to go and lie down because he felt sick from worry." ("lie" is okay).

8. "Ain't" isn't an official English word, "no" should be replaced with "any", and "that" should be replaced with "this", so: "This isn't any way to talk to a stranger."

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
3. "is" is alright, but it also depends on the context of use, if you're referring to "police" as a single collective body (i.e. as one entity) then it should be "is", but if your referring to several individual police personnel then "are" should be used.
Police represents a group. There is no singular for police unless you want to say policeman or police woman. He was right. It's, "The police are overworked."

5. Should be "He is the only one I would ask for help" or "to me" is okay too, but "for help" sounds more suitable.
I'm guessing he needs to make a minimal amount of changes possible to correct the sentence. If so, then it should be "He is the only one I would ask to help me."

8. "Ain't" isn't an official English word, "no" should be replaced with "any", and "that" should be replaced with "this", so: "This isn't any way to talk to a stranger."
You changed too much again. This should be, "This is no way to talk to a stranger." He already had it right.

Dark had more right than you did. He should be giving you lessons.

·
Tushy :3
5,162 Posts
Well as it apperas from teh title I'm in of some help regarding my english. I am supposed to find and correct any grammatical mistakes visible in these sentences. The hard part is, that i have to explain my corrections :mad:

1. The dog wagged it's tail. (i think it's "its")

2. The wolfes were hungry. ("wolves" perhaps?)

3. The police is overworked. ("are" instead of "is"?)

4. She is unhappy to be without a work. (no ideas)

5. He is the only I would ask to help me. ("one" instead of "I"?)

6. The food tastes really well. ("good" instead og "well"?)

7. He said he wanted to go and lie down. Because he felt sick with worry. "lay and not "lie"? and no full stop, perhams a comma?))

8. That ain't no way to talk to a stranger. ("is" instead og "ain't"?)
You are doing well with your homework. :) Here are my suggestions though:

1. Remember, when combining words they use an apostrophe to connect them. Such as are not would be "aren't", can not would be "can't", and so on. This can get confusing though since you use an apostrophe to show possession such as if you wanted to say "That is Bree's pikachu", you would add an apostrophe and then put an "s" after it to show that that the pikachu is Bree's possession. "It" is the only one that does not follow this rule. If you say "it's" it means "it is". To show possession of an object that you refer to as an "it", it will have no apostrophe with the "s". So you were right with the sentence. :)

2. I would explain deeply into number 2, but I'm not doing too well today. The fact of the matter is that you got that sentence right as well. Remember, if you are showing the subject as a group instead of a single subject, you sometimes have to change the lettering especially in the case of words like "calf" you would spell it as "calves" to refer them as a group. "Calfes" is not proper. Good job on this one. :)

3. Once again, you're correct. "Is" is a word you use when the subject is single. Since you use police as a single word but can also be used as a group word, you should automatically assume in this case that "police" is being used as a group word, hence why you would use "are" in the sentence instead of "is". Another example would be if you were talking about deer. You would not say "is" to connect the deer in a sentence unless you knew for sure that the deer was a single subject instead of a group subject. Example:

"The deer is eating the grass."

Since you used "the" you are saying that the subject "deer" is a single subject, hence why you would use the word "is". Usually in these homework cases, you should be able to pick up if the subject of the sentence will be a singular subject or a plural subject. So don't worry too much about it. :) Sorry if I'm being confusing.

4. Take out the word/letter "a" so that the sentence is "She is unhappy to be without work." Another possibility you could do is add "any" so that the sentence would be "She is unhappy to be without any work.

5. I would add the word "one" but not take out the word/letter "I" so the sentence would be "He is the only one I would ask to help me."

6. This has two possibilities as well. You could take out the word "well" and replace the word "good" with it so it would be "The food tastes really good." Or you could take out the word "really" so the sentence would be "The food tastes well."

7. You're correct. Use the word "lay". Do not add a comma. If you wanted, you could even take out the word "and".

8. Replace the word "ain't" (remember ain't ain't a word ;) lol ) with the word "is". "Ain't" is not proper English. Another example of a word that should not be used in proper English is "ya'll".

For the most part, you understand your homework well. I hope my suggestions help out with your homework. I'm an English geek. I'm majoring in an English degree at my university so when I say that I am a big English geek, you better believe it. ;) Feel free to PM me if you would like to ask any questions or if you would like me to clear anything up for you.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Or you could take out the word "really" so the sentence would be "The food tastes well."
No, this is wrong.

7. You're correct. Use the word "lay". Do not add a comma. If you wanted, you could even take out the word "and".
No, it is lie down. If he's referring to it in past tense it would be "yesterday he lay down." but in the case of that example it is "lie down"

I'm an English geek.
I'm a bigger one.

It's is It's, as It's is It Is.
Its is possessive. "The dog wagged its tail."

It's is a contraction of "it is." "It's a beautiful day outside."

·
5,162 Posts
No, this is wrong.

No, it is lie down. If he's referring to it in past tense it would be "yesterday he lay down." but in the case of that example it is "lie down"
Sounds right to me. Anyways, since you're so good at it, why don't you give all the answers and explain them to Darkplayer instead of correcting what other people are trying to explain? It makes you seem pompous.

I thought I did pretty well for being out of it with my medications in me. If I think I'm wrong later when I wake up from my groggy state, then I'll correct myself.

EDIT: yes, Spyhop. You were right about the first thing. However, I don't see how the word "lay" is being used wrongly.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Sounds right to me. Anyways, since you're so good at it, why don't you give all the answers and explain them to Darkplayer instead of correcting what other people are trying to explain? It makes you seem pompous.
Because he was already right in most cases. GF did set him straight on the one or two things he got wrong, I was just correcting the incorrect advice.

·
5,162 Posts
Because he was already right in most cases. GF did set him straight on the one or two things he got wrong, I was just correcting the incorrect advice.
Darkplayer said that the hard part was giving an explanation for his answers. That's what I was trying to do for the most part. If I couldn't think up a good explanation, then I told him that he had already done a great job and he had the correct answer.

No one tried to run through the explanation process with him. If you keep wanting to correct me, then stop correcting me and go to Darkplayer and give him decent explanations for his homework. He's the OP. Stop focusing on me and give Darkplayer the help that's called for. You can correct all my mistakes by doing that and help him out.

Kill two birds with one stone, right? :rolleyes:

It doesn't bother me if I happened to not explain it right or not. What bothers me is the fact that instead of you staying on topic and trying to help the OP, you're just pointing out my mistakes. At least give all of them explanations to why I'm wrong instead of pointing out the mistakes. That would help keeping the thread on topic.

I know that's your own little way of helping. At least, I think it is. But I'm getting irritated that it seems like people are attacking others they perceive as wrong just because they want to start a fight and to prove they're the best. Maybe I should just leave this place again for awhile.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Or you could take out the word "really" so the sentence would be "The food tastes well."
Yeah, that's not quite right. "Good" is an adjective and "well" is an adverb. "The food tastes well" would only work if you were saying that the food is good at tasting things.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Its is possessive. "The dog wagged its tail."

It's is a contraction of "it is." "It's a beautiful day outside."
that's what i meant. though in a more confuscious manner of speaking :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Better edit the third to last word in your post or he's gonna do it again. ;)

(You want "ceases".)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.