Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, considering how old this thing is, its not suprising the fan is now beginning to fail on it. Since the new videocards are too expensive still and this rig would be holding them back anyway I have decided to get a new hsf for the card. My question is, is this one a good one, and when I get it, what is the best way to put it on the card? Keep in mind I simply want to replace my stock hsf. I dont want to do any overclocking or anything like that.

·
Registered
331 Posts
i have heard good things about the iceberq 4. hushypushy himself has one on his 5600, but back when my ti4200 hsf failed, i went to my local fry's and bought a zalman heatpipe for it. it was tricky to install, but boy did it look cool. also, when you first take off the stock hsf, there is this thermal pad on the gpu core, i'd try my best to scrape it off without scratching the gpu surface so that you have good contact between your new hsf and the cpu core. just fyi.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think it will be too hard to get the hsf off there, but im going to have to be careful getting that thermal stuff off the gpu since the last thing I need right now is to lose the card. As for putting the new hsf on there, is their any particular way that I should apply the thermal paste, or do I just put all over the chip? This is my first card that has a hsf so I have never done this before and I'm kinda nervous about it.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Take the tabs or screws on the HSF corners off and slowly twist the HSF off, Clean the Termal goup off the core and apply a new layer on it place the new HSF on top carefully to make sure the new HSFs securing mechinism lines up and screw/click it in, Remember to connect the power leads

·
Registered
331 Posts
what i did was just slather on the paste because i left my thermal pad on there (i couldn't take it off) to make sure there was contact between my new hsf and the gpu core.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
you know what, i NEVER had any luck with those things. stock used to idle in the mid 50s and load in the 60s. then i put the iceberq on and it was at least 10-20 degrees hotter all the way around. so i put back the stock HSF...about the same results (10-20º). so then i tried really hard and put the Iceberq back on as good as possible...and now my idles are high 50s/low 60s and loads in the 70s.

all in all...not worth it. 'twas an awful hassle and my temps actually went up. i've been having a hell of a time actually getting the HSF to contact the GPU core...it seems somewhat uneven.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the problem is that the stock fan on my card is failing and it needs to be replaced, but Visiontek went bankrupt, someone else took their name, and is now only selling ATi cards. (not a good way to get business if you ask me) Finding just a fan for this thing is close to impossible. Course I could just always not replace it and kill the card so I have a legitimate reason to get a new one. But the new videocards are way out of my price range.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Take a picture of the card and I'll guide you through the whole process of switching the fan without replacing the heatsink

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I know how to take just the fan off, but I dont have another one to put on there and I am not having much luck in finding just a fan, so I guess my best bet is to find a hsf with a similar fan that is hopefully the same size and is attached to the heatsink the same way.

Edit: Found a picture of the 128 MB version of the card, mine's only difference is the memory size.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I have the same 128MB GF4 Ti card.

I got the HSF off my taking a flathead screwdriver, putting my school ID card under the HS/F so I wouldn't scratch the PCB, and pried it off quite easily. :) I used superglue + Thermal Grease to attach my all copper HS/F from my Tualatin to it, and it cools it amazingly well. I suggest getting an Arctic Cooling VGA silencer though. $20and amazing performance, plus you don't have to use superglue (it feels quite ghetto :p).

Push pins are basically universal among cards, so whatever you buy (as long as it says it supports about any videocard, such as the VGA Silencer) will just pop onto the PCB via push pins. Easy. :)

Just wanna stick a fan on it, huh.. just grab yourself a case fan and some cable ties, and use the cable ties to attach it via the non-used push pin holes on the PCB. Should work just fine. You can even take the 3-pin mobo connector and plug the RED and BLACK wires into the card itself, FYI. ;)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I dont think it would be hard for me to get it off that way. The thing is I havent done this before so I'm kinda worried I'll butcher the card (but I need a new one anyway) The hsf your suggesting is this one right?

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Nope, this one. ;) Keep in mind it's a dual slot cooler, like the GeForceFX 5800+. Check out a review Here.

You won't hurt the card.. just keep it on a flat surface with a card under the screwdriver so you don't scratch anything. Videocards aren't as sensetive as you might think. I've put my GF4 Ti through hell, even broke 2 bridging capacitors next to the core, and it works beautifully to this day, overclocked and all. :)

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
*cough* 1337. :eyemove:

·
Registered
289 Posts
omg, insane :eyespin:

I remember when I had a Duron 1.2GHz and a GeForce 2 MX PCI 32MB, I got one of those "jet" cpu fans, and attached it to the gfx. Filled up 7 PCI slots (Was 6 on the motherboard, but it reached the bottom of the case)
Temps? No idea. :lol:

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Yup, it works great. Had to re-do it a few times.. applied too much superglue and spread out to the core, causing massive overheating/artifacts. Got it all good now.. working great at 315MHz Core. :) I've instilled new life into my Ti4200, it'll do my just fine till ATi ships me my fixed 9600XT. :)

Player-X: no, it's an OCZ Dominator III for Socket 370/A. Great little HSF, only costed $8 too. I do have my T-bird's stock HSF somewhere in my closet tho. :p

In other mods.. I put a case fan on my CPU HS/F, and modded it to the Mobo Molex to give it 24V. :evil: This fan screams now.. 6000 RPM case fan with big blades.. man, this thing cools my CPU so well. :dance:

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
cooliscool said:
Yup, it works great. Had to re-do it a few times.. applied too much superglue and spread out to the core, causing massive overheating/artifacts. Got it all good now.. working great at 315MHz Core. :) I've instilled new life into my Ti4200, it'll do my just fine till ATi ships me my fixed 9600XT. :)
How did you get the heatsink on the back of the GPU? Aren't there those little capacitors or whatever on the back?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts