Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have problems with my new 2 Pentium 4 with Hyper-Threading. Both of the computers were bought at the separate stores. I found out that both of the new computer seem to be always restarting the OS including Linux and Windows themself. After some thought, I went to the BIOS and check the termal sensor and disable the restart when the heat was higher than the default settings. But the computers still restart automatically. So, I went to Windows (well, I still newbies to Linux, so I use Windows instead) and disable the automatically restart at the 'Startup and Recovery'. Still restarting. I scan with both AVG and AVAST!, no virus :thumb: . Then I use Microsoft Antispyware and Ad-aware, no spyware. I thought maybe it was trojan and I use trial version of Trojan Remover, no trojan detected.(I do the scanning in safe mode). My old computer didn't have this problem. I outta idea how to fix the automatically restart problems. New computer were so troublesome to deal with :???: . Any suggesting of fixing the problem?

· Transcended
1,421 Posts
If the twiddling with the BIOS refuses to yield any improvement, have the power supply and the motherboard checked. A bad surge can fry the PS or the capacitors in the MoBo such that power becomes erratic. Happened to me twice.

If they turn out OK, see if the HT isn't conflicting with any settings in the BIOS. I'm not sure of this, but if all else fails....

· Prepare for Descent...
2,844 Posts
Another possible cause is bad RAM. To test it, give Memtest86 a try. Run it for about 30 mins to an hour and see if it will give you any errors (however, most of the time, the errors will come within the first few seconds of the tests). I hope this helps.

· Transcended
1,421 Posts
By power supply, I meant that box at the back with the fan and all those wires OK? Some people mistake it as the box you plug into... the AVR. Just making sure.

But if you had an AVR... surges shouldn't have damaged the PCs.

It's odd that both of them are bad though.

Hey, I didn't know about this Memtest thingy. I'm pretty tired of swapping with good RAM and hoping the PC dies to find out.... Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.