Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been a songwriter for about a year now,and for a half year ive started this project,a band,with some good friends of mine,wich contains a lot of potential...

Ive also started "singing" again since I am not only their songwriter but also their singer,I do clean vocals and grunts/screams/shreeking...

My first thing is that I would like to learn more from the internet or hint/tips from ppl who can really sing about how to train my clean voice and how to reach some vocal hights and how to do those "hooks" and stuff...

The second thing is about the grunts/screams/shreeking ,because I fear I would ruin my voice with it because I still havent found the proper way how to do these kind of vocals trough my stumache/belly/whatever like other singers in the death/black-metal genre do...

Any advice,sites that have any info,whatever,its all very much appreciated,thanks for your time reading this.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Well for the grunts you can try to get in contact with the singer of Graveworm. A friend of mine had contact through email with him. He's got a pretty good voice ;) You can try to get in contact with singers of other metal bands as well for the clean part. At concerts there are a lot of them who like a chat with the fans when the concert is over, so emailing several might get you a response.

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Ditto about shrieking, but good clean vocals (if you mean omnipotent, royal voice like Vortex in earlier borknagar and later dimmu borgir) is something you get by natural talent. Still you need to study HOW (if you have good singing voice) to use your voice and HOW to breath, so you wont get exhausted after first song. Any choir or singing school will definetly help you. All i know that power of your voice should come from your chest, and not to force on your throat.

*HINT* Lots of beer, lemonade and eggcandies will gather slime to your throat. Helps you to do some very vile deathmetal growls. :evil:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well, i can't offer anything more than what as been already sayed, other that mentioning that pratice makes perfect...see my dying brides first album and their latest as an exemple...

hoo, and btw what genre is your band?

PAX OTENIS

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I heared from the singer of Oceans Of Sadness saturday that you have to do the grunts from your stumache by getting some of the muscles there in some certain way...altough Ive tried a lot this week with no complete succes yet...

And the "drink some stuff and growl" trick,ive been using that for the past year and beer is VERY BAD :p the best things I found were plain orangejuice and some kind of drinkable yoghurt :heh:

And yes,the way that some singer advance is remarkable...and my friends told me that I already have a great voice but that I need to practice more...few years ago I was one of only 3 of my year that got selected for a male quier too :p (but at that time I didnt have enough time for it) but I WOULD like to go to a singing school,but there is none here -_-

As for the genre,thats another "problem" because I would personally like to do a mix of ALL metal genres (well,not really every subgenre,but you get the point)I already have made alot of texts,with huge diversity in them...my latest "I ,Apocalypse" is very much orientated around the heavyness of the "chorus" and is in overall very much in an Emperor style...The Loner on the other hand is supposed to be an incredible depressive song,slower,more emotional,clean vocals,more like a mix between Mydyingbride's latest "the wreckage of my flesh" and "for my fallen angel"...then Ive got "close your eyes and wish for death" wich is a total mix with a giant chorus built out of 4(!!!) total different melodies (including the guitar/drum duh) and reminds me more of Nevermore,the songs "closure" and "And winter arised" are more Opeth like,then ive got some that remind more of some death/grind (morbid angel vs. nasum?)genre...its just that I want to cover as much ground as I can,express as much trough different songs,not just all shear agression or depressiveness,but a whirlwind of all kinds emotions coming straight at you :)

As you might have noticed by now,I am full of ideas and excitement :) (always have been about singing/writing/recording)
Me and my band are already covering some songs (well more like preparing them for when we need to do them again,the closest time now is somewhere in december for a friend her birthday)but we are keeping everything quiet because we don't wanna run ahead of plains (you never know what can happen) and its more fun to suddenly suprise a lot of ppl by giving a show that totally kicks ass than to do a show months before it and look like just another metalband ;)

Some of the covers we do right now contain:
Metallica:Fade to black/Master of puppets/aint my *****/nothing else matters
(note that I cant sing them perfectly at all but I try my best and to find my own ways on it)
Slipknot(dont blame me,not my idea of doing this...):Eeyore,Duality(*sigh*),Vermillion
Sentenced(I only got to choose ONE FREAKING SONG so I choose this):the suicider
System of a down(same as slipknot,only that I HATE soad :mad: but the drummer and guitarist love it :mad: ):Suger/suitpee

The only songs I actually approved was the suicider becuz I chose it myself,and master of puppets :angry: ...but the thing is,if I do this right then I might get in the band of my best friend (he doesnt actually believe I can sing,remember,its supposed to be a suprise/shock :p )wich has the advantige of playing more songs of morbidangel,manowar,maiden,some more classics and more death/black and such...

Btw,im also practicing the songs "The Cage - sonata arctica" (yes cid,THAT song ;)...well I can easily pull of the chorus but the rest :heh: )"iron maiden - fear of the dark" "morbid angel - dominate/maze of torment" "naglfar - I am vengeance" (damn fast) and some more :)

Thx for all your replies ,please keep me updated if you have some new stuff or heard some singing techniques or whatever thats involved with it :p

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Just listen closely to my example I gave you on msn ;)

Btw, why is MP3 uploading disabled? We're not going to post pirated music here.

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Whoa, you are playing music from every style, starting from numetal ending to death and blackmetal. Well THATS hefty amount of variety. :thumb:

About mp3 uploading, try zipping it, Cid.

Oh, and carnage, post some samples of your work whenever you get some. :)

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well we know some dude who's dad has his own recording studio at home and lives like one street away from me....sadly enough he wont let us use it unless he would be in the band and I dont want that since he would forfill the job of DJ and I am very against that...if it means we gotta battle harder to find somewhere to record it,so be it,but I am NOT gonna let it influance the main parts of our music wich I think should never ever get a DJ for adding effects that I dont even care about....its supposed to be metal,and metal it shall be...

And about playing the different genres,its really all just trying not to fool ppl with making something that has a constant line or feeling trough it and then after time stray from that by making music that varies from that line/feeling,like most metalbands seem to do *cough*Metallica*cough*...I want to put as much varied songs together so that ppl wont be able to make some kind of type of metal for us and after a time nag because we suddenly start playing another type...I would hate it if they'd say 'this song sounds like newmetal,this like black,this like progressive' (altough it would be a compliment) because I want our music to be us,not a genre on its on own...music changes when other ppl step in the band too,there is just no way that I think I could label us to any genre...exept Metal :p

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok,update,I have been overloaded by an enormous amount of inspiration this last week and today I came up with the first part of a new,yet untitled song...Cid if you come online I'll send you the vocals I recorded up to now,to give the others a small idea of how it should be,this is what I got so far

verse:
render denial
create your own face
stab all the liars
you run from this place
mirror apposed
you're your own lie
you run from this place into your own harm

This part reminds me a bit of the beginning vocals of Moonsorrow - Kivenkantaja

pre-chorus:
anywhere you go
bleed for a new tommorow
scream unto the night
you're oh so great life

here is where the blastbeat will go totally insane,reaching an insane speed

chorus:
oooh-oh,what a wonderful day
to die away in silence
with no-one to care

oooh-oh,what a wonderful life
the end of the waste
and no-one will cry

then here the blastbeat will fade and it will turn in some strange kind of insane thing..cant describe it well...

afterchorus:
deep in your hollow,state of your mind
your ignorence praises all of your lies
wont you murder the illusions and step back into here
free yourself of the chains

here the vocals go clean and sound a bit like borknagor (not as good as them duh:p)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts