Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I recently bought myself a PC in separate parts, and after assembly it simply won't boot, the monitor gives me an orange light and I can't get any further. The system specs are as follows:

Asus P5Q Pro
Corsair 650W
Intel Q9550 2.83 Ghz
Powercolor Radeon HD4870 PCS+ 1GB
OCZ Reaper HPC 2GB (x2 - 4GB total)
WD 320GB

Everything should be compatible, but it's worth to mention that when I opened the CPU package, the CPU popped out and fell on the floor (stupid me, used force on the package when not supposed to). Now I don't know whether this had a huge impact on the CPU, but could it very well be destroyed after this mess?

When I start my computer, all my fans are working well except for one, the GPU fan, it's connected to the 3 pin fan connector on the card, the two PCI-E connectors at the back are connected as well. I've tested an old card (Nvidia 6800), but it still gives a black screen, however the fan on it did work. So I've concluded that it's not (just) the GPU that's faulty.

I've also tried replacing the memory-sticks with a couple of older ones, still no luck.

As for my monitor, it's a BenQ 22" connected to my GPU via a VGA cable (passing through a DVI-VGA adapter), I figured the black screen problem mightend point back to the adapter, but I tested the adapter with my old PC and the monitor worked.

It seems that no matter how hard I try, everything points back to the CPU/motherboard. I'll connect my speakers to see if the beeps can point where the problem lies, or if it beeps at all (?!).

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Also, connect the monitor cable to the motherboard instead of the GPU, it might be that you need ATI's drivers before the card even realizes its existence. If all else fails, RMA and make a new build. I hate to say it but sometimes **** just doesn't work.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Also, connect the monitor cable to the motherboard instead of the GPU, it might be that you need ATI's drivers before the card even realizes its existence. If all else fails, RMA and make a new build. I hate to say it but sometimes **** just doesn't work.

Please don't spread your fail to the newbies.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
System not posting because his drivers aren't installed?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
.....i think something in my brain just snapped.... i don't know if thats a bad thing....

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
I've seen systems failing during POST because of driver failure... but the opposite just can't happen by design... it just can't. :p
Something tells me this is one of those, "one mundane detail" moments, where it's just that one thing you overlooked just happens to be the absolute problem. In this case, I dunno. I've never seen a PC just throw an orange screen in my face for good chuckles. You've got to admit that sometimes, **** just happens whether you like it or not. There's a good 80% of hardware that normally comes to me or my friends that works fine, the other % normally doesn't and it's just the way things are.

He said the fan on his card wasn't running, he also suggested that his HDMI or whatever he's using was connected to his card. Thus, it could mean that the orange screen is just the debunked concentrated hatred that's coming from the card. It doesn't have to be driver related, sometimes it is the obvious and people just want to avoid it.

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Please note that I edited my reply before you posted.

Also note that motherboards do not normally have a VGA connector unless they have an integrated graphics chip.

Also note that graphics cards are designed to boot without a driver loaded (it's part of the standards). The BIOS on the card handles the "self existence" part amongst other things.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics, so that's not an option, but like I said, I tried with my old card (Nvidia 6800) and it still didn't work, only the fan did.

I can't seem to get any beep codes out of it either, so I'm screwed huh?

Edit: Yes I did reset CMOS, didn't help.

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Take the CPU cooler off the CPU and re-attach it to the CPU then try to boot the system again (Placing it wrong will make the system unable to boot).

If that fails try to boot the system with just one memory stick to see if one of them is faulty.

Step 3 is to disconnect all the extra PCI cards and IDE/SATA devices and see if the system boots with them disconnected. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Take the CPU cooler off the CPU and re-attach it to the CPU then try to boot the system again (Placing it wrong will make the system unable to boot).

If that fails try to boot the system with just one memory stick to see if one of them is faulty.

Step 3 is to disconnect all the extra PCI cards and IDE/SATA devices and see if the system boots with them disconnected. Good luck.
I use an after-market cooler, and it's a pain in the ass to put back on, I spent 4 hours on pushing the four push-pins, almost broke my fingers. It's an OZC Vendetta 2 by the way. I will however see if the system boots with my old Pentium 4 CPU and stock cooler.

It would make sense if the CPU is just faulty right? I mean, I lost it on the floor.

All I have connected to the motherboard is the CPU, one memory stick (tried with both the new ones and the old), GPU, fans and power cables.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Did you plug in the secondary power line feeding to the CPU at the top of the motherboard? It's usually a 4pin, but nowadays they're 8pin.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you plug in the secondary power line feeding to the CPU at the top of the motherboard? It's usually a 4pin, but nowadays they're 8pin.
I LOVE YOU. What a stupid monkey I am! My PC booted now!!!! WHAT A GREAT RELIEF. AHHHHHHHHHH

1 - 18 of 18 Posts