Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for bothering with the same prob again, but this time its more serious.

Last thread I make a question about formatting, and _mr_m_ told about Boot N Nuke, a utility to complete erase any trace of data in the HDD.
I made the reformat that time NOT using the suggested prog, since I was afraid if it deletes several and important files such the mobo bios.

Well, today I had to reformat once again (windows stopped in the boot), and I get to do a CHKDSK. It said that I have one or more bad sectors. And Boot N Nuke can recover some probs like this... but I'm afraid. If I will use the Boot N Nuke, will it delete the mobo and video card bios?

-My truly fear is the videocard bios. I have a GF4 MX 4000 but I don't know where I can download a new bios for it (also I don't even know if I NEED to get a new bios for it). For the mobo, I have its bios.
Anyone able to help? I'm needing an answer really urgent =\
Thanks for the help.

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
DO NOT quote me on this because I am not entirely sure, but I believe the video card BIOS and mobo BIOS are on the BIOS chips themselves (hence - flashing a BIOS). So you should be safe. But gt someone else to confirm this as well. I don't want you to have a screwed up GFX card.

Just format when you reinstall Windows or use DOS(yeah baby!). Or a third-party partitioning program.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that what I believe too. I think my gfx has an integrated bios. However, I'm seeking a way to dump it. If anyone knows how do I do it, please tell =)

/me turns back on search

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
You don't really have to worry though, the BIOS is engraved within a Flash RAM or a NVRAM, entirely independant from the HDD. Why do you think dummy terminals can work anyway? :p What's more, if you check the system leds on your case, you will see that the computer will load and recognize the devices (aka the manufacturer's logo appears on your screen) before the hard disk led turns on for the first time. Well that's the BIOS doing its work. (the same applies to your gfx's or for any other device)

Or another example, would you expect your comp from cease functioning in any way if you simply changed your primary drive?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the mobo I'm not that worried. I have the mobo install cd here with the bios. My actual prob is with the gfx card =\

Well, but if the gfx bios is integrated and I don't need to dump the actual or get other, I don't know what I'm waiting to format this thing using that dammit prog! :p ^^

Just in case, I've searched for my Mecer GF4 MX 4000 Bios and I haven't found a thing :(

*edit: hehe, it makes sense! how can my HDD firstly identifies the gfx bios if the GFX is the initialized before the HDD? :D Thanks so much Proto! ^^

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.