Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You can see my new build in my signature, i wan't to overclock this to have acceptable speed in Pcsx2, i haven't overclocked anything and i'm new in this subject. I don't wan't to fry this up. I wan't to overclock this at least to 3.2 or 3.3 GHz... (or even more if everything go smooth).

1. What good cooling fan do i need? i suppose the cooling fan my processor came with might not cut it...?

2. Also, the Ati HD4350 was the only card i could afford. Will that card run Pcx2 at acceptable speed, having *not good* but instead *normal-so so* quality at 1024*768 or even 640*480 on high demanding games?

3. And would i need to upgrade the driver/bios/firmware/chipset from my motherboard so the overclocking could be more efficient or something?
I installed the driver/bios/firmware/chipset that came in the CD but do i actually need to *upgrade* it from new updates in the MSI homepage? (I don't want to touch that since my new build is working fine with the drivers that the CD had, but is it necesary to update it for the overclocking procedure?)

As i said, i'm new in the overclocking stuff. Go easy on me.

(Again, remember that english is not my main language so don't go *too* technical on me).

·
I'm sexy and I know it!
4,935 Posts
I installed the driver/bios/firmware/chipset that came in the CD but do i actually need to *upgrade* it from new updates in the MSI homepage? (I don't want to touch that since my new build is working fine with the drivers that the CD had, but is it necesary to update it for the overclocking procedure?)
It certainly isn't needed to upgrade the drivers in order to overclock, but they do give performance increases.
It's recommended to always have the latest drivers installed, since they often are the most stable ones.

·
The Master of Disguise
808 Posts
Before attempting to overclock make sure to check your temps, also the cooler/motherboard is what will determine if you can get 3.2GHz+ out of your E8200 processor.

Make sure to check what temps you are currently getting at full load, download RealTemp or any other good program to monitor your temps.

Tell us if you are using the stock cooler or an after market cooler. If after market, tell us the name.

It would be good to research on google about OCing, there are a great variety of guides that tell you the dangers, upside & downside of OCing as well as other things to look out for. That way you get an idea of what has to be done to OC.

·
Tyrant
555 Posts
Before attempting to overclock make sure to check your temps, also the cooler/motherboard is what will determine if you can get 3.2GHz+ out of your E8200 processor.
That's true. Look for those coolers or comparable to be able to overclock:
Noctua NH-U12P 770g (TOP)
EKL Alpenfoehn Nordwand 860g (TOP)
Scythe Mugen 2 870g (VERY GOOD)
OCZ Vendetta 2 780g (GOOD)
EKL Alpenfoehn Brocken 929g (VERY GOOD)
Arctic-Cooling Freezer Xtreme Rev.2 608g (E8xx only)
Arctic-Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 520g (E8xx only)

Tell us if you are using the stock cooler or an after market cooler.
He already told that he currently uses the "Boxed" cooler.

It would be good to research on google about OCing, there are a great variety of guides that tell you the dangers, upside & downside of OCing as well as other things to look out for. That way you get an idea of what has to be done to OC.
Do a search for your board's name and overclock(ing),
because every board has different possibilities to overclock.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what i heard my mother board can be overclocked:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16813130234

New Build OCing advice - OverclockersClub Forums

I definitely need a new cooler tho, i downloaded "Real Temp", "Core Temp" and i was trying "prime95" with the stock cooler and i was getting at 61c on full load with no overclock, if i overclock this it will reach 70c and going to fry this up.

I also was talking with my good friend @ruantec, he said to get a better cooler and overclocking it to 3.1 or 3.2 is not worthy, i should go for 3.6GHZ if i want a good increase in fps (frame per second) with emulators.

Anyways thanks for the help.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
HD4350? Try 4850 at least... For overclocking, most Core 2 series cpus don't need to up the voltage or vcore to get to 3Ghz or higher.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.