Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Just visiting ^_^
8,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well like what the title said, I need help... well I just want to know what the things that I should do about my problem.

Last night, when I got home form work, my sister said that there was a problem with our pc. So I turned it on and when the Xp logo appear, there was a sudden flash or the blue screen (of death?) then it got reboot and it always like that.

So I open the pc, remove and attach the IDE cable and such because maybe it was just the IDE cable and even remove the memory but to no avail. I'm no hardware wiz but that is definitely a big problem for me... reason, my work files are all there and all of my 'outside' job layout (VERY important)... as well as a tonload of necessary documents (important) games and mp3s (least important) and even my gigabytes of anime (errr... very important :heh: )

Since it won't boot anymore, the main questions are:

1. Will I be able to back-up the files by using the hd as a slave in another pc?
2. Is the HD still ok? I mean, when you reformat :cry: it again, it will be ok right?
3. Does that error means that there is a problem with hard disk? I mean is that a software problem or a hardware problem?
4. What usually cause that error?

Guess I'm really a newb when it comes to technical repair of this kind of stuff so any kind of (fast) response to this problem would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
1. Most likely the data is recoverable through your example, unless it is a faulty hard drive.
2. If it is a software problem, then a reformat will correct it.
3. What is the error message it gives you?
4. Numerous things can happen. Corrupt or missing OS files, loose cables, addition of hard drives and installing other OS which can cuase dependencies or overwriting and incompatibility (I'm having this one right now). That last one was a mess up on my part though. It's almost endless. In your case, I can't say though.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Well BSOD's main reason for popping up is memory, so if you have more than one try to see if it is one of the sticks. If it is not, it could be a corrupted Windows, as for your files it should be fine, you did not mention the hard drive clicking or making funny noises so that means it is ok. Setting it up as a slave drive you should be able to acquire your data and transfer it to a new drive (you will need to reinstall Windows in that new drive or have one on another machine).

·
Registered
212 Posts
data is usually recoverable :) howevr i very much doubt u'd of lost anything, goto safe mode (see if that works), if it does,

start > run > eventvwr.msc

check for any failures or warnings to give u an idea...

u can choose repair option, when installing winxp, however some programs will require to be reinstalled, it would save the format thou :D

u should (in recoverly or safe mode) run chkdsk /f/r

and then try

fixboot c:

see if that allows windows to boot into normal mode

gl :)
post ne error messages u get

·
AKA snkmad
4,063 Posts
To make sure if its a mem problem, get mem test and burn it with nero, chosing to make a bootable.
A little dos program will boot and test your ram.
if any errors appear, take it out, and clean the contacts with a rubber, then test again.

And yes, its very likely all your data is safe. I even managed to get all my files from a malfunction HDD a couple of months ago, though using a more complex procedure...

·
War Games coder
1,927 Posts
Heh - good luck. It's hard to accurately pinpoint that sort of problem. For backing up the data you have multiple options... you could place the drive in another computer, cross your fingers, and hope another copy of Windows could read it. If so, that's probably your easiest solution (unless you don't want to open the boxes).

I actually ran into a situation where I had my brother back all his files to a spare hard drive he bought, then reinstalled Windows to the main drive and found it could not read the spare drive because it was a dynamic disc (How / why did he do that?!) which had no "TOC" on it (It was on the primary drive that was formatted). Luckily, there was a solution - just because Windows can't read itself doesn't mean Knoppix can't :). Slapped in a Knoppix CD, mounted the drive as a standard NTFS filesystem (it had no problem whatsoever), ran a samba server, and had another machine grab all the files over the network. Then rebooted into Windows and got all his files back.

·
Just visiting ^_^
8,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
>> Heh - good luck. It's hard to accurately pinpoint that sort of problem.

you got me there...

update, well I got a suggestion to run the repair option for Xp which I did when I got home last night and I it run and "whala" its ok...except for the graphic card which I need to reinstall... but I thought I had repaired it.

early morning, I tried to boot it again and 'sigh' its still goes back to the rebooting phase again... so maybe I did something wrong or something not right with the option that I run... all that I did when I got to the C:/Windows promt in the repiar console is to type CHKDSK... so I think there is something missing in what I didi?(really a newb)

well looking back up in the replies. techie stated that

u should (in recoverly or safe mode) run chkdsk /f/r

and then try

fixboot c:

so should I properly write "run chkdsk /f/r" and then "fixboot c:" ?

well hope I get some reply so that I can do something when I go home about 2 hours from now... thanks guys

·
Registered
822 Posts
you do not need to tye "run" just chkdsk and the switches (/f/r) , If after doing all that it still does not go, you could do what Techie said and install over Windows and choose the repair option, but in that case you might as well dump your data on another machine, reformat and reinstall everything (at least it is a clean install again). If by chance during install it gets screwed then it is has got to be a hardware issue like memory or CPU.

·
Just visiting ^_^
8,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sigh... well I did what I could last night... recovery and repair but to no avail... so reformat was the last option :cry:

alas, I thought I back-up all my files but there was still a lot more missing... sigh (long time to download again)

thanks to everyone, at least I now know what to do in those situation...

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
You know that instead of reformatting your drive you can just reinstall windows,that's what i had to do last week because some of the windows boot files got ****ed so windows wouldn't boot,only files i lost were the ones on the desktop but all other files were still on the hdd since i put them in the C drive area.The reinstall worked great since i wouldn't need to reformat:).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.