Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K, so I had my system overclocked for a long time. One day it decided it didn't want to be overclocked anymore and I had to bring it down to stock speeds. Since then my graphics driver often restarts while gaming. I've format and reinstall and the problem persists. So I took the excuse to upgrade my graphics card from my 8800gts to a radeon 4870. The problem persists. I'm keeping the card (cuz I wanna :) ) and I'm now trying to figure out what to try next. Memtest runs without errors.

What's been replaced since the problem started occurring:
-ram
-video card

What the problem could still be:
-motherboard
-CPU
-power supply (currently have a corsair 650W)

I'm really leaning towards motherboard next. Anyone else have any insight?

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
I think i already know what's the problem is because I too did experienced that issue with my old, cheap, suckzor, budget power supply from Ultra's brand... And as a precaution you should also check each of your ram stick in different slot to see if there are any problem. How long has it been since you have that 650w psu?

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
I'd swap out a PSU first and test that. If it still persists, I'd gather it has to do with the motherboard. If it was the CPU, nothing would be working for you. CPUs are either working like they should, or not working at all. Well, from my experience anyways :p

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
Highly doubt it the motherboard or cpu... 'Cause his rig (mobo and CPU) isn't cheap. Which obviously pointed to the main culprit, the psu aka power supply (even quality psu can have issues, because nothing is perfect) which i "first" stated above. Unless he over volted or overclock more than his cpu/motherboard could withstand then it's a different story.

Based from my 'actual' experiences I'd say it the power supply, but his "might" not have the same issue as mine. Anything is possible :p

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Really? That's interesting. I know older CPUs could do it because they were pretty robust back then, but I didn't expect current mainstream ones to be able to do that...

Testing to make sure if it's the CPU should be quick and easy though. But that's probably the last thing you want to do :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts