Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
esteemed user
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to buy a laptop that can play dragon age origin but i dont know anything about laptops. anyway, would you say this specs is enough? (directly from the flyer)

Satellite L510-S432
-Intel Centrino Processor Technology, core 2 duo processor, T6500(2.1ghz, 2mb L2 cache, 800mhz FSB)
- Genuine windows vista home premium (is vista or XP better? i prefer XP btw..)
- 4gb DDR2 SDRAM
- 320gb SATA with shock absorbers HDD
- DVD supermulti double layer drive (DVD+/-RW/RAM)
- ATI mobility radeon HD 4530 up to 1023MB total available graphics (ext 256mb RAM)
- Bluetooth V2.1w/Enhanced Data rate
- Glossy metallic gray

i dont mind playing it in totally low quality as long as i can play it with little lag..

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Yes. While it fails to meet recommended requirements, it does fulfill the minimum ones meaning it will be playable on low-medium quality.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
It has dedicated memory so it should be playable. I will say this. I have a laptop with dedicated graphics too but the heat can be pretty high. Before buying it make sure the cooling is adequate for extended online play. My laptop uses a Geforce 7600 Go and AMD Turion X2 and it will overheat after too much extended play.

Its mostly a cooling issue.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Cooling is usually going to be adequate on most laptops you purchase. For the most part, manufacturer's don't want to push a laptop out the door that's going to cause them a warranty nightmare.

Laptop looks alright. Though, if you can afford it, I might go for a video chipset that's just a bit better.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
But you will toast your hands. AND NOISE. I have an Asus M51Sn with a Core 2 Duo 2.4 ghz and a 9500GS with 512 dedicated memory. The thing is nearly as loud as my main computer at full chat

·
esteemed user
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so it's good enough to play dragon age origin? what about games like last remnant, or devil may cry 4?

also, a better video chipset huh? well this is just right up my budget, tell me what you guys think..

Aspire Timeline 4810TG-942G32 (Slim Lightweight Wonder)
-Intel centrino 2 processor technology
- Intel core 2 duo processor SU9400 (1.4Ghz, 3mb L2 cache, 800Mhz FSB, 10W)
- Intel Wireless wi-fi link 5100 Network Connection mobile intel GS45 express chipset
- Genuine windows 7 home premium (64 kbit)
- 320GB HDD/ 2GB DDR3 Ram *Extended power*
- 14" HD Acer CineCrystal LED-backlit TFT LCD (1366x768 pixel resolution) *Wide Screen*
- ATI mobility radeon HD4330 with switchable graphics technology, up to 2304mb of hyper memort (512mb of dedicated DDR3 VRAM, up to 1792MB of shared system memory), supporting Unified Video Decoder (UVD), OpenEXR high dynamic range (HDR) technology, Shader Model 4.1, Microsoft directX 10.1 *superior graphics*
- Integrated bluetooth
- Integrated 8x DVD-Super Multi Double Layer Drive
- 1.9kg weight
- 1-year limited international traveler's warranty

would you guys say this is far superior than the previous one?

also, can both play the last remnant and DMC4?

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
No, it's far inferior than the previous one.

Both can play The Last Remnant to some extent... but expect lags because that's just the way that game is. Not the best piece of code ever.

DMC4 can run perfectly on a very wide variety of hardwares save for those with Intel GPUs so you don't have to worry about that one.

Try this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115592

That should be within your budget and should play nicely with anything you throw at it even if it's at all low settings.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Nope. Newegg only operates in the USA, Canada and China.

Try looking for that model at your local computer store.

·
esteemed user
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So if i have to choose, i'd better choose NVIDIA?

unfortunately i've searched around my area for the Aspire 5739G-6312 model but no luck.

it seems the only available model in my area that uses the NVIDIA 130M GT graphic card is the Aspire 5935G-874G50 model, with a better duo core 2.53GHz, 3MB L2 cache, 1066MHz FSB processor. but the price is way over my budget.

there is one that uses NVIDIA, but it is a G105M model and i checked, it is worst than both the ATI 4330, and the ATI 4530 model.

*sigh* i have a really hard time choosing right now, after having a taste of the NVIDIA 130M GT, it's so hard to look at any other graphics card T_T

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
2GB DDR3 > 4GB DDR2 since DDR2 is on its way out and DDR3 is the future at this point.

DDR = Double Data Rate.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
I just sold an Asus laptop (T8300 @ 2.4 ghz with a 9500gs) for $450 lol.
He's from Malaysia... The US is simply the cheapest place to get laptops like that. Here you'd pay twice that price for such a system as well.

Anyway, I think the laptop in the first post should do rather well. It's not high end compared by modern PCs, but for a laptop it is certainly more than capable.

Squall said:
ATI is a low range part over all.
Someone recommending nVidia for a laptop will have my vote for fanboy of the year by default :thumb:

When someone is asking for advise, some sort of nuance and objectivity wouldn't be a bad thing. Also, I think that for a laptop 4GB should be enough. I can run Windows 7 with all bells and whistles on my 2GB PC without a problem, and I doubt that 4GB would be insufficient anytime soon. By that time his PC will have no more gaming life in it either, and his CPU will be outdated as well, so upgrading RAM won't make that much sense. I'd vote 4GB DDR2 > 2GB DDR3 in this case. For a desktop I'd vote the other way around. :)

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
2GB DDR3 > 4GB DDR2 since DDR2 is on its way out and DDR3 is the future at this point.

DDR = Double Data Rate.
While I would not recommend getting DDR2 if going new at this point in the game, it's irrelevant to the point of which would be "better".

Since it's always been about quantity and not speed with memory, as long as you're not comparing memory from five years apart or something (which is ludicrous given the other changes the system would have to have), then it doesn't matter. You're comparing 4GB with 2GB, and 2GB is getting really low these days period, especially when I wouldn't be touching 32-bit OSes if going new (2GB is minimum for 64-bit). Just like I wouldn't advise DDR2 for anyone going new, nor would I recommend 2GB. 4GB minimum, or 6GB if using a triple channel setup. 8GB if you can. 12GB is overkill for now (Heck, 8GB and perhaps 6GB, are to a degree as well).

Of course, ever since DDR2 prices went up, almost all RAM is now expensive, so if you can get 4GB of DDR2, you can get 4GB of DDR3 (in fact, for 4GB at least, DDR3 is cheaper than DDR2), so the original question seemed a little odd. DDR3 also doesn't do anything, anything at all, for a Core 2 based system, so it's performance benefit, which wouldn't realistically matter anyway, is especially moot with that. Edit: Now the power saving is a good point I didn't think of however, and you may as well get DDR3 since it's both cheaper and more modern anyway, but 2GB isn't better than 4GB no matter how you try and spin it.

Edit: By the way, I saw this right after posting, so it may be worth reading.

1 in 3 laptops die in first three years : Christopher Null : Yahoo! Tech

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
While I would not recommend getting DDR2 if going new at this point in the game, it's irrelevant to the point of which would be "better".

Since it's always been about quantity and not speed with memory, as long as you're not comparing memory from five years apart or something (which is ludicrous given the other changes the system would have to have), then it doesn't matter. You're comparing 4GB with 2GB, and 2GB is getting really low these days period, especially when I wouldn't be touching 32-bit OSes if going new (2GB is minimum for 64-bit). Just like I wouldn't advise DDR2 for anyone going new, nor would I recommend 2GB. 4GB minimum, or 6GB if using a triple channel setup. 8GB if you can. 12GB is overkill for now (Heck, 8GB and perhaps 6GB, are to a degree as well).

Of course, ever since DDR2 prices went up, almost all RAM is now expensive, so if you can get 4GB of DDR2, you can get 4GB of DDR3 (in fact, for 4GB at least, DDR3 is cheaper than DDR2), so the original question seemed a little odd. DDR3 also doesn't do anything, anything at all, for a Core 2 based system, so it's performance benefit, which wouldn't realistically matter anyway, is especially moot with that. Edit: Now the power saving is a good point I didn't think of however, and you may as well get DDR3 since it's both cheaper and more modern anyway, but 2GB isn't better than 4GB no matter how you try and spin it.

Edit: By the way, I saw this right after posting, so it may be worth reading.

1 in 3 laptops die in first three years : Christopher Null : Yahoo! Tech
I think on a laptop DDR2 will be faster as well. The speed benefit of DDR3 only shows up at high frequencies. At the same clock speed, DDR3 will be slower because of its higher latencies. I doubt the memory in a laptop will be any faster than the default FSB value of the CPU.

The other thing with DDR3 is it typically uses less power (1.5v vs 1.8). If the OP is going to use it on battery at all, that would be something to consider.
Very true, but wouldn't that be a minor difference? Perhaps 10 minutes or so, but less than the influence a GPU or CPU change makes.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.