Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
10,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment I have about $600, and I'll be getting some money for my birthday right before March.

My PC is acting up a bit. I don't know if getting a new motherboard, ram, cpu, and video card would be enough or whether getting a new PC and moving my primary 2TB hard drive as a secondary drive would be a better idea, and replacing the 660 2GB video card down the line.
I'd appreciate some advice. Again, I have $600 and I'm not getting it right now, but want to hear options I might have down the line.

Thanks in advance...

· Premium Member
15,727 Posts
I am in the camp of build a new pc and move select components to the new build. I suggest going to pcpartpicker and make a build then u would know the price of each part and the cheapest place to buy the parts.
well the major problem is the tariffs on china by trump so motherboards and gpus and components to make these 2 things will be 25 % more expensive. I would suggest going amd ryzen and the cheaper model mobo like lets say b550 and not the more expensive lets says x570. ryzen cpus love fast ram so at least 3200 mhz ram and be sure to check the compatibility on whatever mobo u get as not all ram kits will be compatibile.

New gpus are harder to get but the rtx 3060 ti is much easier to get or get a rtx 2000 series gpu or a gtx 1660 ti, not gonna talk about radeon gpus as I am not a fan of them. Then I would recommend getting a smaller sized ssd just for the OS 250GB will be fine for that.

As for prebuilts most of them start above $600

· Registered
10,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe by March the tariffs we be gone. In a week we have a new President of the US and he seems to like China...perhaps too much...

· No sir, I don't like it.
7,022 Posts
Pretty much agree with Yelo here.

AMD Zen2 3600 (6 core)

B550 Motherboard

250GB NVME drive (preferrably 500GB though; Crucial P2 series is a good choice and goes on sale pretty often)

3200MHz DDR4 (preferably 3600MHz; be sure to get RAM with tight timings as Ryzen CPUs majorly benefit from better timings over higher speed)

For the GPU, I think you and I are pretty similar in hardware spending habits. As such, I don't recommend buying any of the new GPUs. Buy one used instead. Browse Offerup, Craigslist, and yeah, eBay and buy an AMD RX580 8GB or 1660 or thereabouts in performance. (I'm assuming you still game in 1080p) Don't buy if over $120. The current GPU market is complete trash and the 3060 will not be available for MSRP for quite awhile due to another mining boom. (thanks Ethereum!)

· Registered
179 Posts
I'd appreciate some advice. Again, I have $600 and I'm not getting it right now, but want to hear options I might have down the line.

Thanks in advance...
What are the specs of your PC currently?

· Registered
10,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
-PC: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, 16GB DDR3 Ram, GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB,2 TB hard drive, 500 GB hard drive, Supermulti DVD Burner, Wireless Lan 802.11 b/g/n, Beats audio Studio Quality sound, Win 10.

It's in my signature...

· Registered
179 Posts
-PC: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, 16GB DDR3 Ram, GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB,2 TB hard drive, 500 GB hard drive, Supermulti DVD Burner, Wireless Lan 802.11 b/g/n, Beats audio Studio Quality sound, Win 10.

It's in my signature...
Oh yeah, forgot to hit the toggle arrow to reveal your PC specs. But to comment on your current specs, you def are in need of an upgrade. I've upgraded twice since building my oldest PC from 2010 and have since repurposed it. Ryzen is where it's at, but due to the tariffs that were activated last month, you're not gonna be able to stretch your budget as much on Ryzen 2 CPUs like would've been able to back in 2019. Whenever I building a new PC, I tend to go w/ the highest performing product I can afford at the time according to my budget and prefer not to cut corners to pave the way for a more seamless viable sensible cost-effective upgrade path for future-proofing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.