Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Foundry/Foundation
11,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old MSX monitor is starting to freak out (it's rather suitable for gaming, but it's just getting too old) so I'm temporarily using a bedroom tv but it's automatic "the-screen-gets-to-bright-I-better-reduce-brightness" is getting on my nerves.
It's also not half as clear as the old MSX monitor and it's better with Composite than SCART, I think it SHOULD be the other way 'round normally.
I'm looking for an alternative, but I can't spend too much, and neither do I need a huge screen - I just need a good one.
Can anyone here recommend some tv's that are specifically good at displaying console gfx? Again, no huge 100hz things wanted, just something that's decent and doesn't have these annoying automatic correction settings.
Monitor's of some kind would be good too (I don't even need a TV tuner in it).

· Familiar Face
5,307 Posts
If it was just for console systems, you could always just get a VGA box and a nice lcd monitor. I went that route, and no regrets here.;)

· Quad Core FTW!!!
782 Posts
When my desk wasnt set up in the aprtment yet, I hooked my computer up to our Sony Vega(Or Wega whatever its called) and was playing Doom 3, Halo, and Half-Life 2. Colors were good, but you get the best picture on a computer monitor ;-).

Most TVs wont be as clear as your computer monitor. Especially Standard Definition TVs.

· Foundry/Foundation
11,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
KanedA said:
for console system I'm using my TV card and 19'' monitor + DScaler, works awesome :)
no problems with the refresh rate then?
Well, I can always look into that solution - it's the cheapest; I have the tv card already, but I'd prolly need another set of cables for the ps2 and dc; composite works but you really want svideo cables in that case. And then there's the whole deal where I don't know if the tv card has proper NTSC support.

As for the vgabox - no problems with 50hz/60hz?

MasterChief > just to clarify the MSX monitor isn't VGA, it's much like a TV but very much optimised for computer images through SCART connectors; as a result it's excellent for consoles too.

Update - wow, I used DScaler in the past and liked it but it seems even better now. The results were above my expecations, even with Composite. I'll have to try a few more things but this might be a not so bad solution indeed :)

· Foundry/Foundation
11,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, Kaneda, that was a good advice :) Also figured out that now all kinds of proper modes are supported, and an old DC svideo cable I had is doing wonders where it didn't before - now I just have to get an svideo cable for the ps2 :)

Dreamcast example:

· Interplay sucks!
1,220 Posts
You probably already know this Samor, but why not use a dc vga box for your dc? True vga resolution rocks (except for 2d fighting games I guess :D)

· Foundry/Foundation
11,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have one (in fact, it's the vgabox that also has the s-video out), and it looks good, but it doesnt work on all games, and then there's some other small issues, like not having a proper vga switch (so I have to disconnect the monitor from the pc everytime) and the output of my vgabox is sometimes "dodgy" - I have to use the degauss function on the monitor a lot when I use it (and I'm not sure if it's bad for the monitor - I'd rather not lose this one as well).
Added advantage of using the tv card is the ability to make screenshots etc, which is quite nice. With the setup I'm having now it would be fairly easy to connect the vgabox however, so if I feel like it I can still do this. The PS2 gets more playtime though, so it was important to get a good picture for that, and the DC's svideo was a nice test for it too. :)

The old MSX itself can only connect to the tv card using composite, but then I'll just use an emulator for that (I already was anyways) ;)

I'll just be using this setup from now on - if it somehow dissapoints me in the future I could still look into getting a new tv or something.

· Foundry/Foundation
11,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
*update*

well, after a week of trying this tv card thing I had enough and got me a proper TV anyways.
JVC 55cm one, no TFT, but it does have a flat screen. I know there's much larger than 55cm, but when you're used to a 17" monitor being the largest screen in your room - it's huge ;)
It has a very clear picture using SCART, nothing a TV card would ever be able to do. I happily trashed the old MSX monitor, as this is more like it.

· PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,398 Posts
didamangi said:
You probably already know this Samor, but why not use a dc vga box for your dc? True vga resolution rocks (except for 2d fighting games I guess :D)
you can always set such resolution in DScaler :p if you realy realy want to

Edit: Samor do you use sharpen option in DScaler? your pics are bit blurry from what I can see... :)

Edit2: sorry for such late reply, I didn't notice that this thread got replyed earlier ;) (my damn gmail account still doesn't work on ngemu :( :angry: )

· Interplay sucks!
1,220 Posts
There is a difference, the dreamcast output are true vga, dscaler just upscan the s-video signal. And the quality is very much apart.

Although convenient, the quality of the tv tuner + dscaler can't touch the true vga output of the dreamcast or a tv with s-video/rgb/component input.

Believe me I've tried to keep up with my tuner dscaler combo, but I've finally had enough of it, and like Samor I'll probably get a nice (only 21" tho) cheap tv next month ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.