Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question -- I've go a brand new compy (w00t!)

It's a Gateway rig (my parents got it off a shopping network) and the specs are more than decent as far as I can tell -- a gig of DDR2, 2.8 Ghz Pentium D CPU (800Mhz FSB) and a 250 gig HD. Trouble is, it only came with an onboard graphics solution, which really wont do for what I could potentially play on this system.

Now, I've got about 150 to spend on a GPU -- 200, max -- and I need to fill a PCIe slot that my compy has. I'd prefer an nVidia card, if only because I'm used to using them and they've served me well in emulation and gaming previously. It also needs to be PCIe -- I've got no AGP slot. the PCIe slot is 16x, just in case.

Thanks!

· Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Well, the Geforce 6600gt and Geforce 6800 should be around that price ($160-$199). but the Geforce 7800gt can be had for just a little more. (about $299)

I would advise saving a little more to get the 7800gt because buying a G6 card at this point in time makes very little sense. The 7800gt will save you money in the long run. ( 6800gs, and 6800gt are half as powerful for almost the same price.)

· NextGenerationGaymulation
2,934 Posts
I second that, save some money and get a Geforce 7800 GT. I've got a 7800 GTX, and I love it so far. If I compare benchmarks with my friend who have a 6800 ultra... he gets sad that he didn't wait and get a 7800 instead.

· Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Katsuya said:
Well, the Geforce 6600gt and Geforce 6800 should be around that price ($160-$199). but the Geforce 7800gt can be had for just a little more. (about $299)

I would advise saving a little more to get the 7800gt because buying a G6 card at this point in time makes very little sense. The 7800gt will save you money in the long run. ( 6800gs, and 6800gt are half as powerful for almost the same price.)
I'll look into the 7 series, but to remind you -- $100 isn't "A little more" for a teenager running on X-Mas money with no employment opportunities :lol:

· Quad Core FTW!!!
782 Posts
I can't speak for PCI Express, but my GeForce 6600GT (AGP) has been serving me great! A GeForce 6800 is definately an option, they are really good cards. I'd reccomend the 6800. However, most 6800s have crappy coolers so you may need to upgrade them. The seven series is great, but I really see no point ultimately at this time. A 6800 should serve you fine in todays hottest games. Hey, if my GeForce 6600GT (AGP) can handle Quake 4 and Half-Life 2 at 1280x1024 with AA/AF then a 6800 PCI Express should serve you great. How about a Dual GPU solution? Not SLI but two GPUs on one card. It does exist. Probably out of your price range however.

· Registered
42 Posts
i'd go with the 6800, i dont got it myself but i hear the 6600's good.. imagine the 6800...dayumm...With that u should be able to play bunch of new games but c.. idk, i doubt ull be able to use it. the solution would be gettin u a ULTRA 550W X2-Connect Power Supply.
Its a power supply that brings connectors for SATA hard drives, n also the PCIe Connectors so i can use the graphics card, with out a connection to the graphics card, u aint doin nuttin..n it supports both Intel and AMD based motherboards. N Not only that but its a modular Power Supply, Meanin you can unplug the cables that ur not using, and only use the cables that are actually in use so the other ones wont be buggin u, it looks sexy too, titanium! lol
heres tha link:
http://www.xoxide.com/ultra-x-connect2-titanium.html

n how ever, i aint sure if u need it, bein that i am not sure if ur power supply already brought one for ur PCIe, and also i dont think u ever mentioned wat kind of PCIe is it, 1x 4x 16x? if u dont know then, i dont suggest puttin a graphics card, idk wat r the results of u puttin a 6800 8x or 6800 16x graphics card on to a PCIe slot that is 4x or 1x..

n yo "Master Chief"... u dont kno a motherboard that supports Dual GPUs and Dual PCIe slots? (all 4 in one) that be mad crazy, i'd cop me one fast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.