Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Heh...
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be a stupid question but what's the best DVD burner out there that's not over $100? I don't know much about DVD burners.. man I'm so out of the loop it's embarassing.

I've seen at newegg those DVD burners that around $40. Are they even worth considering?

·
Computer Nerd
162 Posts
ShadowDancer said:
Might be a stupid question but what's the best DVD burner out there that's not over $100? I don't know much about DVD burners.. man I'm so out of the loop it's embarassing.

I've seen at newegg those DVD burners that around $40. Are they even worth considering?
you can pick up a DVD Dual layer burning around 39 bucks
NEC Black IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3540A - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152047
39 bucks.

you dont need to spend 70+ bucks on one. i would recommand the one i linked to.

·
Heh...
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ah ok. I basically wanted to know if it was worth spending 80 plus on a DVD burner when there's some that are 40 bucks and seem to be pretty good. I just thought they were cheap or too good to be true. Cool thanks for the help. :)

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
I would go with Pioneer, BenQ, or Plextor. Stay away from NEC since they are riplocked so you would need to flash it with hacked firmware to unlock its full ripping speeds.

·
Registered
378 Posts
riplocked?

anything wrong with Lite-On brand? I'm happy with mine, but I didn't do a terrible amount of research other than checking independent review sites.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
i'm all about Lite-On. my CD burner, while being almost as loud as my car (trust me that's loud i cant even hold a conversation while i drive), looks super sexy, and rips/burns/plays games like awesome.

my sort of old Lite-On DVD -ROM drive was also awesome, it was extremely quiet and fast.

i have a lite on 8x dual format 2.4x dual layer (its aging i know), that thing is not only quiet, fast, and reliable, there is an easy to use tool out there to flash the firmware to be region free. Lite-On is highly recommended!

·
Computer Nerd
162 Posts

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
my sister has a Pioneer DVD-ROM, granted that drive is like 5 years old, but it died like 3 years ago :p it barely reads CDs, skips like hell on DVDs...and it's crazy loud. it's been like that for a long long time too...

·
band
4,912 Posts
as a writer, the NEC drive i believe is among the best (if not the best...apart from plextor) in terms of quality (read the reviews on cdrinfo and cdfreaks...most of the time their drives have surpassed lite-on pioneer, benq and lg in the PI/PIF quality graphs) on a wide range of media ranging from really cheap to the best out there.

in my eyes, the fact that its purpose is a writer offsets its rather mediocre reading capabilities. if ur looking to do a lot of copying with this drive, a lite-on dvd-rom is probably what ur looking for. it features very good speed as well as very good scratched disc reading (forgot what this is called) ability...overall good "bang for the buck".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.