Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody.

No, this is not a hate thread for fps games. :p

I would like to know more about my problem and if there is a solution.

Ok, so since ever that I've played fps games or more specifically games that have a free camera, they always make me kinda nauseous and I have to stop playing.

I recently tried fallout 3, but even after I switched to a third person view, I felt bad in my stomach.

I don't know what is my problem, but moving the camera around and trying to focus makes me feel bad.

Games like God of War and Prince of Persia which have a camera that auto follows you are okay.

For the record, I don't feel bad driving or when riding a motorcycle.

So, what can I do?

Take an anti-nauseous pill before gaming. :???:

·
Registered
443 Posts
When I was younger I used to experience the same type of thing with Doom, Wolfenstein and other shooters. Had to take a break every couple hours or I would get terribly nauseous from the movement. Luckily for me it went away with time, my only advise is just to take a 20 min break every now and again.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Some games allow you to adjust weapon bobbing (side-to-side motion of your current weapon). Reducing it or turning it off will help.

The only other thing you can you is to simply force yourself to play the game in hopes that you will get used to it. I used to get dizzy while playing Doom when it first came out. Though it was so much fun and so new at the time that I kept playing regardless. I got completely used to it after about a week.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
SiN and Soldier of Fortune using the Quake 2 engine did that too me. But that was probably because I didn't like the games.

·
エリートキラー
392 Posts
My friend gets headaches when he plays fps games. Breaks work. After a while you get used to it...well, my friend did :p

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
get your eyes checked.

just because you can read, doesn't mean you have 20/20 vision.

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,117 Posts
Hey everybody.

No, this is not a hate thread for fps games. :p

I would like to know more about my problem and if there is a solution.

Ok, so since ever that I've played fps games or more specifically games that have a free camera, they always make me kinda nauseous and I have to stop playing.

I recently tried fallout 3, but even after I switched to a third person view, I felt bad in my stomach.

I don't know what is my problem, but moving the camera around and trying to focus makes me feel bad.

Games like God of War and Prince of Persia which have a camera that auto follows you are okay.

For the record, I don't feel bad driving or when riding a motorcycle.

So, what can I do?

Take an anti-nauseous pill before gaming. :???:
I am having the same problem too.

About my problem :

About 8-9 years ago, when i first looked at Tomb Raider 1, i felt nauseous, i stop playing it after a few mins. Then one day i saw tob Raider 2 and attracted by the opening movie, i bought the game and forced myself to get used to the camera, and then i am ok and since then have no problem with FPS or 3D action games. The only game that could made me felt very sick and nauseous was Quake series.

I stop playing 3D game for a long time (2-3 years). And then this year i tried to play WOW, Resident Evil 5, Tomb Raider UnderWorld, Crysis, Alone In The Dark 5 etc (All with Vsyn turned on), no matter which game i play, i will feel nauseous. I forced myself to play RE5 for 1 week plus, but until today, i still feel nauseous looking at the screen. (not so serious nauseous tho, but still feel unconfortable)

I suspect it is either my eyes' problem or life pressure too high/body too tired that causing this.

My solution is : I stop playing games for now :p

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok I'll try to get my eyes checked.

Also thanks for the recommendations.

I always play with vsync enabled.

Seems I have to get used to it.

·
UnCool
59 Posts
No there's nothing wrong with your eyes (I think). It's a just normal motion sickness, and i'am sorry to say that I don't really have a solution for this cause I too have this problem. Heck I get car sick just by sitting in the back of a car for a few minutes.
Hideo Kojima had this problem too, that 's why he made metal gear in 3rd person or so I heard.

·
The Nexus of a Crisis, and The Origin of Storms
767 Posts
This has been an issue on and off for me too. The first game that ever did it to me was Perfect Dark. Got a lot worse after a cigarette (back when I smoked), or after too much caffeine. Playing the game I could stand for maybe an hour or two, but watching someone else play made me want to vomit within a minute.

My eyes, btw, have been regularly checked and are still 20/20.

For the most part I have found that I can play FPS, some give me a slight feeling of "stuffiness" in the head that borders on nausea. The only game off the top of my head that is totally unplayable is the original FEAR, with all settings maxed on this system I am currently using. I was dizzy for a F'ing hour after playing it for 15 minutes. Brutal.

Still can't watch other people playing FPS for very long, but curiously only the 1st person view messes with me. Never had a problem with 3rd person view, in any situation.

I just recently ran into this problem this morning, after installing the new wolfenstein game. The effects were mild in the 30 minute play session before work, but still present. I have been mulling it over in my mind.

Most of everything I came up with has already been brought up in this thread, but other than Depth-Of-Field effects, full screen blur and/or shader effects, the only other possibility that I can think of is too high a frame rate. It seems like when I am running games that lag more in the 40s instead of maxing out at 60 (because I always play with vsync on as visual "tearing" is very annoying to me), I have little or none of the nausea.

Like everyone else, I have never succeeded at pin-pointing a specific cause for this phenomena.

I'll report back any info I find while configuring Wolfenstein, but my suspicion is that each individual will have to find specific settings per game, and in addition to that some games will just remain unplayable for certain individuals. :???:

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Take some Dimenhydrinate beforehand. :p

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
I find its first person perspective games that give the motion sickness.

Some games have head bobbing. That slight up and down motion certainly contributes to it. If the games you can disable the headbobbing that can help, might take you out of the immersion of the game though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.