Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The watermarks on the darker colors I see through my monitor have somehow gotten pretty bad. To give you an idea, it looks like a step ladder on the left side of this forum, and it looks like the area to the right of the text is "warped" a bit. I don't remember it being like this before...I've tried settings my refresh rate higher and lower, changing resolutions, etc, but no go.:(

The monitor is a CRT that is less than a year old...Any ideas what might cause(or fix) this?(I hope you guys understand)

Thanks! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Have you ever put magnets or unshielded speakers near the monitor? Maybe there's some burn-in from something that stayed stationary on the screen for too long.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
n_w95482 said:
Have you ever put magnets or unshielded speakers near the monitor? Maybe there's some burn-in from something that stayed stationary on the screen for too long.
Not to my knowledge. All that's been around it has been CDs, cables, and papers.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
My friend's HP monitor got damaged (weird horizontal lines at certain resolutions/color depths) but that's because he cranked up the resolution way too high :p. Do you have a screensaver set to come on after a while or for the monitor to enter standby or do you just leave it on the desktop for a long time?

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
maybe someone came along and hit it with something? maybe you spilled a soda in there? it's pretty new, right, so i dont think it's old and dying. have you tried a different monitor to make sure it's the monitor and not the videocard (hey worth a shot)

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
Have you tried to degauss your monitor it might fix your problem.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think it's been hit...I've taken pretty good care of it since I got it. I tested the video card with another monitor and it works fine...I wonder what's wrong?:(

·
band
4,912 Posts
yea...given the circumstances (new and u've been taking care of it) definitey sounds like the monitor is defective. i think its something akin to "bowing" that some monitors have on the the top side only its on the side. After u've tried degausing it like typhoon suggested, i'd also try try these two (somewut farfetched) things just in case :

- changing the power cable to the monitor incase its defective and is affecting the power being distributed to the monitor

- checking the pins on the monitor cable to see if they're dirty/ misaligned.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I've never had much luck with CRT monitors. They're cheap, yeah, but every one I have had has died within a year to a year and a half. Their monitors are just really crappy. I'd recommend just giving up on that one and getting something like a Viewsonic brand monitor. Don't think yours can be repaired without sending it into a technitian, and even then, you'd end up paying more then than you would just getting a new monitor.
- Modem

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I called HP support and they said they're going to send a new one in 2 business days. Then I have to send the bad one back or else they'll charge me.

I'm thinking, for the long run, where can I get a good low-cost LCD display? 15" should be fine for me.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dammit, now they send a older reburbished copy of the same monitor model...it's less "sharp" than the other. It looks like I'm viewing it through an inch of vasaline.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts