Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
代言人
7,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Researchers cool CPUs with nano-size fridges
Temperature has become an issue for CPU development for a while. Heat has the potency of shortening the lifespan of the chip by changing the property of the transistors; excessive heat can even cause the chip to burn. As companies like Intel scale down the size of CPU and increasing the number of transistors, more and more electrons are crammed into a smaller and smaller space, and increase the clocking frequency, more electrons transferred per unit time, the temperature of the CPU gets higher and higher. As a result, Intel and other companies stop increasing the clocking speed of a single core and move onto multicore processors. In order to overcome this issue, these companies are currently introducing nano-size fridges into the market of cooling for CPU.

The current air cooling devices, such as heat sink and fan, are not capable of cooling something above a hundred degree Celsius and are pretty loud, and the current liquid cooling devices, such as water cooling or even liquid nitrogen cooling, are too massive, expensive, and power drain. Nano-size fridge, however can be incorporated into the CPU and offer low cost, low noise, and low energy consumption. In addition, these nano-size fridges are there to complement the current cooling devices, where they are placed in the 'hot spot' of the CPU, such as the core die or the back part.

This nano-size refrigerator will be on the scale of 10 microns. Unlike conventional macro fridges, which are made with mechanical heat pump and liquid coolant, the nano-fridges are made with thermoelectric molecules, ie. Bismuth telluride and Antimony telluride. One special property of thermoelectric molecules is that they are capable of converting thermo energy into electricity; in other words, "you're using electrons to pump heat away," said researcher Venkatasubramanian. With the aid of excellent thermo conducting nano materials such as carbon nanotubes, these freezer can decrease the CPU up to 40 degrees Celsius, which will greatly lift off the work load of large cooling devices.

and you all know what it means... HIGHER CLOCK SPEEEEEEEEED!!!!

·
Registered
640 Posts
There is a patent in the works that has the potential to completely rewrite our approach to transistors today - going from a 2D transistor to a 3D transistor (to give the transistor a fourth input/output leg that stands at 90 degrees to the rest of the structure), meaning that every layer of transistors that makes a core will be connected to it's sister from above and below all over the surface instead of just at the borders of the layers and key data/control points.
This can actually allow super high clock speeds that we can't even get with liquid nitrogen to become stock clock speeds, and we won't really have to move to 32nm, 22nm, 11nm and 6nm to make more powerful CPUs.
Don't know whether the patent has been approved and whether there is a prototype, but you have to agree that the prospect does show some promise...even though it requires the complete rebuilding of all the knowledge in the world concerning transistors at a molecular level, a task of unimaginable proportions...but someone's got to do it, right?

Edit: The micro fridge is a pretty nice idea, but with todays additions to the area around the CPU socket it might make the task a bit difficult.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Meh. I bought a frat fridge (small fridge for college) and I can fit my radiator inside. That's good enough for me.

·
Registered
640 Posts
LOL!!!
Reminds me of the cinematic from the first StarCraft where a platoon of terran marines opened a large metal case that turned out to be a fridge with beer cans, tons of ice cubes and an armed tactical nuke!!!
:lol:
Brings such nice memories from much simpler times...

PS: Fadz, I just remembered one of your posts where you asked for advice on a new workstation GPU...something about a FireStream card, can't remember the model...any news on that?

·
Registered
640 Posts
I can sell you a nuclear reactor for a reasonable price of you want;)

·
代言人
7,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Note this nano fridge is 'an addition', it cools off extra 40C on top of others.
@dim
the ATI FirePro™ V8700 seems pretty hot for workstation card :wub:

·
Registered
640 Posts
How much you want lol
I'm putting the finishing touches on the circulation system and then it'll be ready for shipping - it has an output of I think 4MW, so you can actually power your entire home with it...

I still have to compile a user-friendly guide that will point out every possible thing that might go wrong...:evil:
Worst case scenario is a little bit of radiation poisoning in an event of a leak:dead:, but there won't be any explosion or fire because there isn't enough material there to reach critical mass...:???:

I'd say the price at the moment is 10K$oO, but I might lower it down once I perfect the construction methods.:thumb::cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts