Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's old, but it's good... Ok I admit it, I just have the unexplainable desire to get every official version of Galaga there is :D

Anyway, here ya go, my 3 fav from this collection (there are 7 games)

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.6
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
GFX card: RADEON 8500 DDR x86/SSE
Resolution/Color:
- 1152x864 Fullscreen - Desktop changing [32 Bit]
- Internal X resolution: 1
- Internal Y resolution: 1
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off
- No render-to-texture: off
- Filtering: 0 - edge clamping supported
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- TexWin pixel shader: off
- VRam size: 0 MBytes - 196 textures usable
Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto
Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 1
- Framebuffer effects: 0
- Framebuffer uploads: 1
- Subtractive blending: activated
Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: off
- Screen filtering: on
- Shader effects: 0/1
- Flicker-fix border size: 0
- GF4/XP crash fix: off
- Game fixes: off [00000000]

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
try some texture filtering ... and if not in petes ogl2 2.6 than in petes ogl 1.75

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
ah yes, the 2D beauty. what does this game looking like with Peops? it seems like it'd be a bit cleaner.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Samor said:
do you have the one featured in the jakk's ms pacman miniconsole yet? ;)
(www.jakkstvgames.com)
not yet, but eventually i will, surely.
I had been waiting for it since the one with pacman and galaxian came out. didn't buy that one, but will definitely get the one with galaga and ms pacman :)

G

·
I got the pacman/galaga one....
waiting for the ms pacman one too...it's definately the better of the two, but not out here yet; the first is enjoyable as well though;
only little complaint I have is that the sound isn't totally accurate.
This seems to be the case with all of the jakk's mini consoles though.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
as for the questions about the graphics... I am the "pixel perfect" type. I wouldn't use heavy filtering to fuzz the pixels. That's why I chose a high resolution and enabled full screen smoothing in Pete's OGL2. This way I get just a tiny bit of "smoothing" which helps minimize the "pointy corner" effects, as well as looking like a slightly out of focus arcade machine (as they all were ;) ). I didn't add black scanlines cos I was never a fan of that particular effect.
Ahhh the beauty of enhancement emulation - everyone can tune it to their own liking :)

G

·
I have namco museum on the DC; my only gripe with these is that the resolution isn't the same as the actual arcade versions, but smaller.
Sound is spot on, though.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll see when I get some time to try texture filtering
but would that help? thought the 2d sprites aren't considered as textures.

I have Namco Museum on the GC, which has 3 screen sizes to choose from for most games (some only 2). The smallest shows everything, but the largest cuts a lot of stuff off the screen.

·
Prepare for Descent...
2,619 Posts
With texture filtering, you can filter 2D sprites (options 0,1 with Pete's OpenGL I think), there is also a setting which doesn't filter the 2D sprites (2,3 with Pete's OpenGL I think). Somtimes it looks nice, while at other times, they don't look that great (I recommend using Hig res textures, either using 2xSai or Stretching, that makes the text better imo). I should try and find Namco Museum and test it out with my setup and post screens :D Galaga does kick major ass :)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh i forgot all about making screenshots, hehe... lets see if i remember this time.

BTW, I tried the TV Games Ms Pacman at Toysrus a while ago. I'm a bit disappointed :( The button is at the upper left -- so I had to use the left hand to hold the thing and push the button, and the right hand to use the joystick. It is quite hard to hold the thing and rapid fire with the thumb of the same hand. Somehow it's easier to play Galaga with the Gamecube controller, or the color Gameboy, or my PC gamepad; but then again they have d-pads for direction... nothing wrong with that technically, just doesn't feel the same as joystick.

So I guess the lesson is that you simply cannot handheld a joystick, unless you play Pacman and don't need a button. I guess I'll buy the TV Games anyway and play it on the coffee table or the floor :rotflmao:

G

·
now that you mention it; it is a little troublesome ;)
..tell you what, when I first had a gameboy I'd put it on the table and play that way :rotflmao:

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hidden display mode for Galaga

Update: I definitely got my $15 worth!

At first I thought Galaga only had two display modes in this collection: the "arcade simulated" mode as shown in my screenshots before, and the "arcade mode" which is arcade resolution and orientation (yep that means sideways). The option is activated thru the dip switches, and explained in the manual.

Since no gpu plugins has option to rotate the screen, I didn't bother with the arcade mode. One day I played around with the switches, and to my surprise there's a third mode, undocumented, or in a sense, HIDDEN! When you go thru the switches, there's a box that displays the current settings for the switch. Interestingly, there are two switches that says "arcade simulated" when you highlight them. If you switch the first one, both switches will display "arcade", and the 2nd switch will have no effect...

But if your first switch is set to "arcade simulated", and you toggle the 2nd switch, it will display "wide" - the 3rd display mode! This mode will look just like the Galaga in the newer Namco Museum on next gen consoles: a slightly lower resolution of the arcade version (with scores and inventory above and below) and two graphic strips on both sides of the game screen. These strips look like the original arcade machine's cardboard arts around the screen, and they actually help see where the boundaries are, instead of black areas like in MAME.

But there's a slight problem with this mode. The whole image is 320x240. If you display it on a standard 4x3 ratio, the stuff will look too wide. See the normal screenshots. After a bit of tinkering, I found that if I used 1280x768 (which is 5x3 ratio), stretch it on the monitor to 4x3, and in the gpu plugin keep PSX aspect ratio, it'll look almost perfect. If you have a correct pixel shape, you will see my screenshots look too wide. To show you what it looks like after I stretch my monitor image, I made a 1024x768 version of the last screenshot, and put the big "simulated" word in the corner.

This is now my ultimate Galaga setting. :thumb: It's better than MAME and the GC Namco Museum.

* In the GC Namco Museum, the same problem occurs at "Normal" screen size. But they sort of fixed it by giving two more sizes to stretch the image longer, however the top and bottom part of the screen gets cut off somewhat :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts