Next Generation Emulation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I could help but think of the possibility of creating an emulator for n64 games for the Nintendo DS. One of the first things I thought of was if it is even possible for such an emulation. I know the DS is supposedly very similar to a n64 in terms of processing power, this leads me to believe that either the emulation would be simple or the DS won't have enough power to emulate the 64 and run games smoothly. Anyone have any opinions about this? Also, if it is feasable, I have no experience creating an emulator, so where would be a good place to start? I thought about maybe looking at an open source n64 emulator and going from there. The final, and perhaps most difficult part, would be to actually find a way to do development for the DS. I'm guessing I would need a DS SKD. Is it even possible to download one of these?

Thanks for your input...if it seems possible to create such an emulator, I would really like to give it a shot. Let me know what you think.

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
99.99% not possible. GBA doesnt even have an SNES emu. We dont even have "perfect" N64 emulation on our PCs.i hardly see how anyone could accomplish this, especially if you have zero knowledge on how emulators work.

Id forget the idea of an N64 emulator for the DS. but if your still willing to learn how to make an emulator, head over to the Chip8 thread we have on the board. i doubt that just looking at the source code of an N64 emu will make you understand it

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
Hmmm I think Nintendo's gonna make many little bit refreshed 'reeditions' of old N64 hits for their DS handheld, they are always doing it ;) so there's no need for n64 emu in my opinion of course ;)

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
I think he means snes for gba...

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think its an interesting idea, but like chrono said its 99.99% not possible, but if you are intersted in emulation and are a good programmer you should definetly persue in trying to write an emulator(for any system). As there arent inuff people that are actualy willing to sid down and put their time in emulation and help out the scene, who knows maybe youll like it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, looking at the specs I figured it would be impossible, but thought I would throw it out there anyway. Usually you need a much more powerful system to emulate another one. Well, here's to hoping that Nintendo ports Goldeneye 007, if nothing else, to the DS.

·
Registered
61 Posts
while I think an N64 emu for the DS it's not likely, a SNES emulator would be interesting...

KanedA said:
Hmmm I think Nintendo's gonna make many little bit refreshed 'reeditions' of old N64 hits for their DS handheld, they are always doing it ;) so there's no need for n64 emu in my opinion of course ;)
well why not play the games I already bought for the N64, in a handheld console? I haven't played those games for a long time now, but playing them in a handheld would be another story
though, again, I don't think it's possible

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
Ker said:
but playing them in a handheld would be another story
though, again, I don't think it's possible
Yeah, unless you *cough* dump them *cough* on your pc... and then.. *cough* I don't know the DS 'thing' witch will hold games and other data but I think *cough* It'll be possible to copy it there ;)

EDIT: of course this idea is just about putting those games in that handheld not emulating/playing them ;)

·
Oversized Cranium
25 Posts
everyone also said that gamecube, ps2, and xbox emulation was impossible aslo, yet there are now emulators for them too. you never know, there are people out there, that put so much time into these things, that it more than likely is possible. I mean, what hasn't been emulated yet? almost every system in history has an emulator, so what's to say this can't be emulated?

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
>everyone also said that gamecube, ps2, and xbox emulation was impossible aslo

No, people said that it'd take time. People have also oft asked for PS2 emus and GC emus on hte X-Box, and that is similar to what is being asked here. It's not possible. The machine is not powerful enough.

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
as Kane said, you can alway make your pc more powerfull, but I don't think you can upgrade your DS hardware or eaven so it would'n be worth :)

EDIT: or did you mean the DS emulation on PC? :) oh yeah that's gonna happen for shure

·
InnarX
2,756 Posts
That's why I love PC! You will always get emulation of most consoles at some point or another! People boast about XBOX, GC, PS2 etc...but in the end, us PC users will benefit and enjoy everything! MBWAHAHA!!! :evil:

Oh, and I have one question....is it just me, or IIRC there is supposed to be one final version of 1964 in the makes?

r2rX :D

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,457 Posts
while all that isn't possible the idea of n64 emulater running on a 64bit computer is interesting. Possibily better speeds. Running in a 64-bit environment would cut down on code and thus cut down on the possiblility of coding errors.

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
whaaaaaa oO.... what do you mean? did you think about N64 emu for DS or what?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.