Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is referring to the one RobSupertones made <a href="#EppVZlluuk">yesterday</a>, about the announced N64 emulator for the dreamcast.
Well, first off, I personally wondered if I should even mention it, as it seemed to obvious to me that this couldn't be real. Having talked with several authors and scene insiders, it seemed like impossible to me that something like this could really work out. But after Cyrus64 from <a href="http://www.boob.co.uk" TARGET="_blank">Boob</a> talked to me today, I thought it'd be about time to post our thoughts on this.

Now why should this thing be fake you may ask yourself, <a href="http://www.bleem.com" TARGET="_blank">Randy Linden</a> already prooved that emulation of a compareable console on the DC is possible. But first off, Randy is a VERY skilled coder programming for years already. Then, looking at the second list of games, which are supposed to run at around 90%, you'll come across Perfect Dark ... if you followed the scene during the past weeks, you'll know that Perfect Dark is a bitch to emulate, and even some of the most skilled N64 coders from the scene weren't able yet to get it running properly.

What else is there to wonder about ... first off, the problem of the speed: This post claims that he's actually able to get many, many games running with perfect (100%) speed on the dreamcasts SH4 processor, running at 200mhz (don't get confused by that Mhz number now though, you can NOT compare it to the one on the PC). Other issues you might come across is the memory handling, which would require some heavy and very difficult coding to work correctly, like many other parts of the emu (if you're interrested in more details, check <a href="/article.php?sid=19&mode=thread&order=0" TARGET="_blank">this post</a> over at Emu64).

The bottom line ? It seems pretty obvious that it takes a genious coder or a lot of time and research to succeed in such a difficult project. No N64 author we know of, however, was contacted by this guy yet, what means that he basicly claimed to do this with any outside help. Therefor, this emu is pretty obviously fake, and you shouldn't waste your time waiting for it - another try by someone to get attention he doesn't deserve. Feel free to leave your thoughts on our <a href="/forums/index.php">message board</a>.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This situation of a new emulator reminds me the one of Nebula, wich is a CPS1/2 emulator.

In fact, Nebula's release was annouce several weeks before the real date, then Dave cames in all the forum stating that it was a fake because he was thinking that it was the only one who had the ability to code a cps1/2 emulator wich was Final Burn. And he ws claiming that even if Nebula Team was posting rel screenshots. Then Dave was so uspet when they released it that he stoped updating Final Burn in collaboration with CPS2SHOCK arguing that anyway it was only meant to be an Afer Burner emulator. Wich is abolutely true by the way.

So N64 coders that are popular now, are making the same mistake like Dave. Instead of being complaining and huh trying to demolish the reputaion of that new coders/emulator, try to make real interview with him.

And must of all. Wait for the release, then complain if it never.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You should know by now the DC is MUCH easier to work with than a PC. Albeit a few problems with memory, those can be worked out easily.
Let's not jump to conclusions, alright?
Wait on it.
BTW, from personal experiences, Coders from Prince Edward Island or anywhere near that vacinity usually are geniuses.

K

·
0 Posts
I personally think it is a ploy to gain more hits and try to gain more money for a crap site such as DC Emulation ... 007Cheater is probably up to more of his stupid tactics. :p

·
Registered
102 Posts
That was terrible.
Terrible, terrible rudeness.
DC Emu is a good site, and ofr a time, it was the best for Dreamcast emus and prog info. Lay off.
Geese. I'll stop wasting my time to talk with your kind. Already this has degenerated into a flame. You people should be ashamed of yourselves. I know I sure am for even participating.

K

·
0 Posts
Might have been a bit rude, maybe even a bit uncalled for, but then again it was just my personal opinion ... excuse me for being a critic. :p

Then again if you flipped the coin over, you will see you complain about the very same thing you are guilty of. You assume to know me, and to stereo type me into a category, without knowing a single thing about me. By your statement if you were referring to rude people, maybe you should change your comment from "Your Kind" to "Our Kind".

Don't get me wrong I am not trying to start a flame, my other post was my own personal opinion of the site, and those who run it. Having an opinion, be it negative, doesn't always make the person a bad person. Sure I could have said it in a nicer way, but then I would be holding back my personal feelings, and that wouldn't be right to myself ... kind of like lying to yourself. :p

Anyway don't take it so personal next time, people just need to lighten up ... :D

edit: I guess I should also mention my opinion comes from what I see behind the scenes .. what many people don't ever see or hear about.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm talking about the site itself ^_^;;
Misunderstanding. The message board peepz are pretty dumb, IMO, and they could be a bit more proffessional.
All the old, better staff moved to another site. I shall go there.
*throws on his travel cloak and switched bookmarks*

R

·
0 Posts
OK, OK, OK!!!

Yeah, it's me RobSupertones from here at www.NGemu.com, the Steiner Software Studios www.sssprograms.cjb.net (as Robert Steiner, and Swift Death), the Emulator Zone www.emulator-zone.com/forums (as Swift Death), and the Game-Domain (as Swift Death).

As you can see, i am a member of a lot of sights, and most of them are partially mine, or all made by me. I am as emulaton-fanatic/game fanatic as you can get.

From what I can see, there is just no way to prove this. I agree with a lot of you. Squid (from dc emu) has a good point that this website is cheapy, and has 007 makin lots of money. I really agree with hornpipe2 (from dc emu)! Man oh man, I wish people could stop bickering, and just give their oppinions. There is NO WAY to prove if this emu is lagit. only perhaps if there is a beta. I hate the F*** YOU cussing and stuff, and people need to get a grip, and stop insulting other at the cost of sounding cool on the internet! OMG, a lot of people could really care less about all your oppinions (mine included) just because they don't know us, cause I guess we all think we are elite/31337 (Warez Webmaster: someone that could not quite make it as a hacker). Because you are 31337, and everyone else is STUPID, that makes us all elite idiots! --- Very confising isn't it?

-Well, what my point is:
My pentium 1: 200 w/ a voodoo 3 could emulate N64 VERY well! Almost full speed! So if the DC has a 200 (a bad processor thought), and probly a not too bad of a graphics card (seeing that it is a GAMING console). Keeping that in mind, also think of this: IT DOESN'T NEED TO RUN WINDOWS (THE RAM HOGGIN/CRASHIN/HD SPACE TAKIN OS) IN THE BACKROUND!!! I think that this is very possible, but this programmer must be VERY skilled, and must have A LOT of experience!

-RobSupertones

1 - 8 of 8 Posts