Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to decompile N64 Roms?
I have seen in this Forum a similar thread but, I can´t find information about this.
There is a tool to decompile N64 ROMS?
Thanks for your time.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
I'm fairly sure this kind of thing is against the rules.

·
Emu author
1,488 Posts
Why would this be against the rules?

fslynx; If you're looking for a program to conert an N64 ROM to source code in a language such as C then you won't find one. The best you will find is one to convert to assembly language, commonly referred to as a disassembler. There are probably several disassemblers that are compatible with N64's CPU, although it wouldn't necessarily be able to differentiate between code and data so you'd end up with a lot of garbage in the result. Also, all but the best disassemblers (like IDA) will probably not attempt to inject any symbolic labels for anything.

This would also only accurately reveal code for the main CPU (not the RSP coprocessor) and only code that is raw in the ROM and not compressed.

I doubt it'd be very useful for anything you want to do, unless you're ROM hacking.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
because its against the law to decompile software in general.....

·
Emu author
1,488 Posts
About as much as it's against the law to emulate software, and yet...

I'm pretty sure using a decompiler or disassembler on binaries of public domain code or even code you wrote yourself (it's actually useful sometimes) is not illegal, to say the least.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
makes sense, i guess its just another grey area then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.