Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Okama Way!
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stupidly let my brother use my computer and now it's been infected by something! If I let my computer just sit on the desktop I get pop-up ads for things in flash, they don't appear in the start bar and happen even if I don't press anything or am playing a game or anything. also I am getting pop-ups in my browser from sites that don't normally give pop-ups and even when I am just idle with my browser open.

I have run Ad-aware and Spybot Search and Destroy and Avast Anti-Virus, I got 1 result from Ad-aware, 49 from Spybot and nothing from Avast, I removed everything I found.

I have checked my add/remove programs and nothing is there that shouldn't be. I think altering registry settings is the only way to fix it that I can think of but I do't really know how, I know I can use programs to look at my registry but I don't know what's safe to remove and what isn't. is there any progrma that will check for bad settings? or any other advice anyone could give?

· Prepare for Descent...
2,844 Posts
You could try and check task manager to see if there are any processes that you think might be causing the pop ups. If you find a few, start windows in safe mode and make sure they aren't running, use the search feature to find where they are and delete them. Restart normally and hopefully you'll get no more pop ups. I hope this helps.

· Registered
317 Posts
You my friend have a fun litle thingy called a messenger service(great "service" isnt it?), congratz! Go to services in your controll panel, find it, stop it, and dissable.

Messenger services wont show up as a virus or anything, because theyr not they are a service. :hdbash:

· Okama Way!
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Zen, I already had that disabled :(

Snake, I googled everything in my task manager that I wasn't sure what it was and found one called winlogon.exe was supposed to be a a virus however even in safe mode it loads automatically and won't allow me to close it or delete the file. Is this actually a windows file or could it be my problem? if it is my problem how would I go about getting rid of it?

· Registered
6,829 Posts
AFAIK, winlogon.exe isn't a virus. Is a normal application.
I did not understand what is happening to you exactly so, hmmm, here goes my opinions:
maybe there's a lot of spywares in it. Run in safemode, then use HijackThis ( but be EXTREMELY careful! it doesn't detect if the object is good or not), your anti-virus, and SpySweeper (its a shareware prog, but i'm sure you'll only use it this time ;) ). After all that, see what you know that is weird and delete. Remember: you need to do this in Safemode.
and good luck! ;)

ps: if SpySweeper get rid of all your troubles, don't use HijackThis ( i think it won't be even necessary anymore)

· カラム
365 Posts
Most people don't want to spend over an hour reinstalling windows and then have to reinstall all they're programs.

· Moo.
455 Posts
zen_master said:
Or you could teach your brother a few things about using a PC.
Scary thought, that.

I'd recommend HijackThis. Get the program, run it in Safe Mode, and let it delete everything. When you restart your computer, some things that normally start up might have to be reconfigured, but it's worth it, because it generally gets all the bugs. Other good programs are AdAware and HouseCall which is on TrendMicro's website.

Of course, if all else fails, reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows. That'll always kill the bugs. Personally I like this option. It's basically a fresh start. Just make sure you backup anything important. (External hard drives are great for this purpose)

· Okama Way!
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been using Firefox for ages and was using my anti-virus resident, my firewall and spybot resident as well as scanning regularly to keep my system clean, he downloaded a .exe from somewhere that installed evil files and he disabled my spybot resident because it was giving "annoying" messages about registry changes.

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
He's a n00b alright :rolleyes:

I had the same experience with my brother, he started complaining about all those annoying messages Spysweeper gave him after he had been playing those online Java/Flash games on dodgy websites.

I'd say you give him a very good warning about what he is allowed to do and what not, and if this will happen again he should not get online anymore simply because he's too stupid.

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Player-X said:
At least my brother is actuaily good at avoiding spyware and some light system tuning
Mine has the same intellect as Homer Simpson:

Homer Simpson said:
{Press any key to continue}

Where's the any key? oO
He's been using internet for years now, he's 16, and some weeks ago he came to me asking what to do with a RAR file -_-

Last week I had to do something on the family computer, immediately I got a popup saying there's low disc space on the C drive. I checked and there was only 130 mb left on it :???:

And guess what... When it doesn't boot anymore I am the one who can figure out what went wrong.

IMO there's nothing wrong with being a newbie to something. Even I asked my cousin to guide me while installing the first piece of software in my life back in '98 (when we got our first pc). But when you're a n00b and don't even take the time to read what certain messages say, that's where things go wrong. (I even check privacy policies when someone gives me a link to some subpage of a dodgy website before I click the actual link)

· Banned
10,931 Posts
Mine has the same intellect as Homer Simpson:

Quote:
{Press any key to continue}

Where's the any key? oO

He's been using internet for years now, he's 16, and some weeks ago he came to me asking what to do with a RAR file -_-

Last week I had to do something on the family computer, immediately I got a popup saying there's low disc space on the C drive. I checked and there was only 130 mb left on it :???:

And guess what... When it doesn't boot anymore I am the one who can figure out what went wrong.

IMO there's nothing wrong with being a newbie to something. Even I asked my cousin to guide me while installing the first piece of software in my life back in '98 (when we got our first pc). But when you're a n00b and don't even take the time to read what certain messages say, that's where things go wrong. (I even check privacy policies when someone gives me a link to some subpage of a dodgy website before I click the actual link)
Try changing the Windows shell to something like BBlite and see if that helps with your problem j/k
Seriously if you do change the gui see how long before your bro figures out the basics without your intervention, mine did that pretty gast

· NextGenerationGaymulation
2,934 Posts
Don't use firefox, it has a lot of secutiry leaks, if you don't want that use opera, it's the safest one. As for brothers, and mothers and others, get them their own computer, you can ussually get an old one almost for free, so they don't screw up yours!

· Okama Way!
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
he has his own computer until about a week ago, broke it somehow, I formatted and tried a full windows re-install but it crashes as it's copying the files over, he claims he didn't do anything to break it but then again it took him over a year to admit to breaking my old system by trying to upgrade it.... he was in the BIOS increasing clock speed =/

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.