Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really new to all this, I downloaded ePSXe and I got the plugins I needed, now I need a bios. Can someone tell me what that is, and where might I get one? Also, when I get to the point of playing a game:

Do i need a controller thingy to play the games? If not, tell me how I can config my keyboard to my personal settings.

How the hell does saving work!? @[email protected] It's so confusing and the way you people explain things on the forums, it's like you think all the newbs know what everything is....

I may have more questions deeper into the process but, for now, thank you all.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I think its funny you even said that u know its probably been answered before. Try the search freaking button. This thread basically read. Im new so its ok for me to be lazy and just ask. No sir its not ok to be lazy, research ur answer. If you cant understand the answers given then thats to bad. RTFM go take a class or use google and look it up. As for all those other question, I would try doing a search first.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
ChaosCode said:
RTFM go take a class or use google and look it up. As for all those other question, I would try doing a search first.
isn't google a form of search?? GOSH STOP BEING A DUMBASS!!! (i hope you realize im making fun of you)

now I need a bios. Can someone tell me what that is, and where might I get one?
BIOS = Basic Input Output System. you'll need to dump it from your PSX. ask google for help :)

Do i need a controller thingy to play the games? If not, tell me how I can config my keyboard to my personal settings.
a controller thingy...well you can just use a regular controller. to configure, go to config-->gamepad-->pad 1 and then go for it. if you dont have a controller, just use the keyboard buttons.

How the hell does saving work!?
you have a playstation, right? it's exactly the same. i mean, it's different for every game, but the method is the game. go to the menu or a save point or whatever, and just save. you can also use the more risky save states, but i would advise you to do so at your own risk, because they can introduce problems. if you are getting game glitches, stop using save states. to save, press F1. to load, press F3. to switch state slots, press F2.

It's so confusing and the way you people explain things on the forums, it's like you think all the newbs know what everything is....
well, like Chaoscode said, RTFM. ePSXe actually comes with a very comprehensive help file. for example, go to search and type in "save state". you will get a lot more information than i just explained. and i dont see what's so confusing about saving. F1, save, F3 load, F2, switch. and i dunno, many many other people find help from this site. maybe you should speak for yourself ;)

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
The BIOS lets the PSX's hardware talk to each other (if it functions the same as a PC's BIOS, which I would think it does :p). You're supposed to dump your own BIOS but I would imagine the tools for it aren't too easy to come by anymore. There are other, not so legal ways of getting it, but all I will say about that is Google is your friend.

No, you don't need a controller to play, although in my experience it does help greatly. Playing PSX games on a keyboard sucks in most situations. To configure the keyboard, go to Config->Game Pad->Pad 1.

With saving, you have two choices: savestates and regular memory card saves. With savestates, you use F1 to save, F2 to change the slot (up to 5 slots per game), and F3 to load. Be careful on relying just on savestates, they can get corrupted, leading to problems with your game, such as black screens, crashes, and so on. With regular memory card saves, you just save your game the exact same way as you would on a real PSX. These are much more reliable than savestates but they lose the convenience factor.

Edit: Damn, hushy beat me :p. Spent too long researching the dumping procedure and other stuff.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
ChaosCode said:
I think its funny you even said that u know its probably been answered before.
i was thinking the same thing. it think when people signup for this forums that along with showing the rules it should show a list of tutorials so threads like this stop popping up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, thanks guys. I got the bios, blah blah blah. I don't think I'll need a controller, I'm more of a person who will be playing turn based RPg's like FF7 and so on. So now that I got everything, I just put a CD into my Pc and play?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Coolsvilleman said:
i was thinking the same thing. it think when people signup for this forums that along with showing the rules it should show a list of tutorials so threads like this stop popping up.
I know! I think there should be a sticky with a post for each tutotrial. And for really stupid people like me, If someone would be kind enough to maybe do a basic vocabulary sticky... I know at least I would a preaciat it.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, I've tried FF7, and at first I got it running but really really fast. So i set the framerate limit to 60 like in other threads that it said, but now when I load it, the main menu is totally black. I can press the buttons and here sounds so I know the cursor is moving, but it's confusing to me to figure out the stuff... what should I do?

·
Narcissist
725 Posts
Just edit your post and paste your settings in it, no need to doublepost.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
actually Celine, the previous post was from the end of december ;) if he had simply edited, no one would've seen this thread (it wouldnt've shown an update). this is a rare time that doubleposting is ok ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, I got the thing to work... but now when I play it's really laggy, when it gets to going into a fight, or more characters moving at the same time, it laggs and waits a bit then continues. I know this is because of the CD, as in it has to start up and then it stops spinning, but I can't make an ISO because:
1= I'm broke
2= No space for 3 discs of FF7 and othes games

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
1= I'm broke
that's 100% irrelevant. that's like saying you can't read because you're broke. the library is free, duh. on the same note, there are free ISO creators.

anyway, you can get Nero Drivespeed and then tell it to never spin down your CD drive, that should work.

·
Some Scottish Guy
4,276 Posts
hushypushy said:
what do you mean once in a while, we get em all the time :p
Day turning into night, the planet spinning, people asking for BIOS files...

As for the "I'm broke" scenario, get ISO Producer and Pete's CD plugin. Free and less than 100kb download. As for the lack of space, just keep one ISO at a time on your PC.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.