Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have strange problem with FFVII. In battle mode in upper-right corner there is blue rectangle (blue is exactly the same like in battle menus). I tried all configurations but i can't make it dissapear. I'm using Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.76.

·
Registered
654 Posts
When you say "all configurations", does that include checking the "special game fixes" option, and on that subscreen checking the ff7 framebuffer fix option?

If it does, could you post a screenshot of the problem so I can try to reproduce it?

Dan

·
Registered
654 Posts
I tried the config you posted, and sure enough I got the same blue box you did.

So I played with the settings a bit, and when I had what I thought worked I played the first half-hour of the game or so (up to the meeting at the hideout). Since I got the same glitch you did with the same settings, you'll probably get the same stuff I get if you use my config - unless you have a performance problem. I'll deal with potential performance problems further below.

The first thing I need to tell you is to use sssPSX 0.0.26 instead of ePSXe. This should fix the slowdowns that happen in ePSXe when battles start. It did for me. These battle-intro slowdowns in ePSXe are not because my PC or gfx card can't keep up; if I uncap the framerate, I get superfast gameplay and the intros are superfast too (though slower than the gameplay). It's a timing issue.

The second thing is that with OGL 1.76, there are a couple of glitches you'll never get rid of (or at least I was unable to). One is the green line around the edges of image overlays. Another is that during the battle swirl, the black bar across the top of the screen gets overlaid with data from the first frame of the swirl. I've included screenshots that illustrate both those problems. In the battle swirl screenshot the red arrows point to the problem area, while the blue arrows point to the corresponding area at the bottom that looks correct.

Lastly, the offscreen drawing and framebuffer settings I used (4/2/3) take advantage of your gfx card's capabilities. If you get too much slowdown with these settings I suggest trying Hushypushy's suggestion of 4/0/4, and picking the one that works best for you.

Now, for the config itself:

Problems I've seen that this config resolves, and how it fixes them:

- Hitches and pauses while CD spins up (Mooby2)
- Slowdowns during battle intros (sssPSX)
- O is action/confirm, X is cancel/run opposite of normal (sssPSX pad plugin configured through ePSXeCutor to switch X and O)
- Missing battle swirls (Offscreen drawing = 4)
- Blue rectangle in battle screen (special game fix FF7 adjust framebuffer access, no other special game fixes)

I know that the pad functions can be fixed in the in-game menu, but it's not 100% consistent. Switching X and O in the pad plugin is consistent.

Gfx: ATI X850XT PCI-Ex
Snd: C-Media Rear Panel Audio
CPU: Intel P4 HT 3GHz 800Mhz FSB
RAM: 2G
PAD: DualShock2 on RadioShack USB adapter

Emulator: sssPSX 0.0.26 (so that rumble will work, otherwise ePSXe 1.6 would be fine)
GPU: Pete's OpenGL 1.76
SPU: Eternal 1.41
CDR: Mooby2 (image made with Alcohol 120%)
PAD: sssPSX PAD plugin 1.6

GPU settings:

SPU settings:

CDR settings:

PAD settings:

Dan

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
the reason for the green lines is the texture filtering. try messing around with it in game to see it change. i was actually doing this about 2 days ago...i like to turn off texture filtering entirely. in battles, the "floor" looks pixelly but i dont feel like switching it to 6 every time a battle goes :p

anyway, ive seen better results using sw fb techniques, you are liking the hw fb there dbhankins?

·
Registered
654 Posts
hushypushy said:
the reason for the green lines is the texture filtering. try messing around with it in game to see it change. i was actually doing this about 2 days ago...i like to turn off texture filtering entirely. in battles, the "floor" looks pixelly but i dont feel like switching it to 6 every time a battle goes :p

anyway, ive seen better results using sw fb techniques, you are liking the hw fb there dbhankins?
It just seemed faster for me. Apart from that, I couldn't really tell a difference. But then, I'm not trying to get along with a GeForce 2 MX, either. Depending on his processor, it could well be that the 4/0/4 setting would be faster for him.

In any case, now that I've solved the problem this thread was opened for, I'm going back to my OGL2 config... :)

Dan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thank you people :eyemove: I didn't think that I will got such complex help :) Well, I tried both 4/0/4 and 4/2/3 and 4/2/3 is much faster in battles. And of course blue rectangle dissapeard :p And hushypushy, you know, I just forget to turn off other sgf's :emb:

·
Registered
654 Posts
No problem, I've gotten good help here in the past, and I return the favor by helping others here when I can.

I'm curious about a few things -
  • Were you having those battle intro slowdowns (like the music and graphics slowing while the camera circles the battlefield)? If so, did you switch to the sssPSX emulator? And did it fix it?
  • Was the battle swirl effect missing with the config you posted? Did my config fix that?
  • Are you seeing the battle swirl glitch at the top of the screen?
  • Do you get those green lines? Does twiddling with texture filtering fix that?

Dan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
  • Yeah, I was having battle intro slowdowns. And switch to sssPSX didn't fixed it. But it's no problem for me.
  • Yes, now I have battle swirl effect. Thanks for your config :)
  • Yeah, it's still there.
  • Well, green borders occured only when i was using "remove black borders". But when I'm using other options background is very pixelized.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Sounds like a performance issue then. You probably won't be able to cure it short of a better CPU and gfx card, or trading appearance (resolution and quality of rendering) for speed. Sorry I couldn't be of more help on that front.

Dan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.