Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its only happens when i'm in the web using more than two IE windows or three or more programs...it crashes and everything stop...(and i have to reboot...)......

Do u think i need more Ram (i've 64) or could be an internal windows problem or hardware???

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
well you do need a lot more ram, but it shouldn't crash because of that, maybe it's just slow...

anyway you can try updating windows and IE if you havent done so lately.

a dying harddrive can also cause problems if virtual memory is accessed a lot. you could use a fixed file for virtual mem to speed things up.

oh, yeah, defrag :)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx...i were about to buy ram anyway....My IE is the last one ...(is updated as well) , in this case i'll try a defrag...(again...)

a dying harddrive can also cause problems if virtual memory is accessed a lot. you could use a fixed file for virtual mem to speed things up.
oh and didn't undarstand what u wrote....like, fixed file?

·
Registered
632 Posts
If you have several diff. brand of RAM in your computer go to your bios and disable read around write, this should solve your problem or try removing one of your ram and see what happens.Dont try to mix diff. brand of ram cause some mobo just dont like it, like mine.

·
Premium Member
2,776 Posts
I have 64MB ram too, and I can run 3 IE, winamp, icq, morpheus and outlook at the same time without crashing(ok, it gets very slow). Formatting the hd should help you, but maybe you don't want such a drastic solution. You can reinstall IE, and you can use those Norton Utilities-like programs, that check your registry, the hd integrity, and all this maintenance stuff.

PS: shouldn't this be in the Software Discussion?

·
Registered
635 Posts
well, this cold be caused by differents things, for example, I have Win98 SE running in my main machine with 96 MB Ram, 533Mhz Celeron, and a Maxtor drive, and when I load some webpages that have flash content with sound, it crash my PC instantly!!! yeah, it doesnt matter how much memory or drives, or if there are 20+ programs running at once, it simply stops responding suddenly!!! I have even downloaded the last version of IE directly from the Micrapsoft website, and so with the flash, and never get the problem resolved!!! even changed the sound card and nothing!!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
A VERY similar thing is happening to me rite now!!! Well, when i use aol (omg is sux!) i can open more than one window at a time, but whenever i get a popup screen or sumthing, aol crashes with this message:

WAOL caused an invalid page fault in
module RPCRT4.DLL at 019f:7fbd0894.
Registers:
EAX=021100ab CS=019f EIP=7fbd0894 EFLGS=00010212
EBX=0210bf70 SS=01a7 ESP=0210bd90 EBP=0210bf80
ECX=77124438 DS=01a7 ESI=00000484 FS=1917
EDX=bff76855 ES=01a7 EDI=7712454e GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
ff 30 ff 75 d4 8d 85 1c fe ff ff 50 e8 cb 0b 00
Stack dump:
0210c28c 00000000 00000000 0210bed8 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000001 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000

so yea it sux. but when i use something like netzero, i cannot open more than one window at a time. if i get a link that opens in a new window, or a popup, it simply wont load!!! i defraged my hds, i downloaded and installed ie 6.0! i have a tbird 750 and 128 ram. can someone help me?? oh yea, and one of my hd's isnt "configured correctly" so i cannot use norton on it.

Thanx sooo much for the help!!!
btw- i am aware i have a lot of probs with my computer at the moment :(

·
Registered
12,014 Posts
NuGgEt: That has nothing to do with your system, AOL is just a lousy browser. Use a standalone browser like IE or Mozilla instead. That way, if it crashes, you don't have to go dial in again. While I'm at it, I'll move this to off-topic software.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ryos: Like i said, i have used a stand alone when i use things like netzero!

but when i use something like netzero, i cannot open more than one window at a time. if i get a link that opens in a new window, or a popup, it simply wont load!!! i defraged my hds, i downloaded and installed ie 6.0! i have a tbird 750 and 128 ram. can someone help me?? oh yea, and one of my hd's isnt "configured correctly" so i cannot use norton on it.

So yea, IE is screwed up too, what should i do? i have already installed IE 6.0

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
Originally posted by SadAngel
mayba you should try another options!! I used one named OPERA and another called NEOPLANET and worked very well
IIRC Those browsers use ie's rendering engine anyways (to keep file sizes down among other things) so I doupt that swapping to them would help much.

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
Thanks for the clearup. I was sure of neoplanet , but I only heard a rumour concerning opera. Either way I'm sticking with Mozilla. On my machine it's quick, stable, no popup windows but has an MDI. But it simply its the business.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
jonys,
what i meant was to specify your own virtual memory options. it's in control panel, system, performance, virtual memory.
i'm not sure but if you do that i think windows will use a fixed file

i got a friend who even created a seperate partition just for the virtual memory. he says it's faster because it was on a seperate fat. and since he's not using it for anything else, it doesn't get fragmented.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.