Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been happening for awhile, I just ignored it. But when I install games or big programs, my RAM usage goes up, and when the install completes it doesn't go down lol. And it makes my PC lag. And so I just restarted it. Is there any programs to fix this?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgot about that. Windows 7 x64 ultimate. Just added it to my signature. Pointing that out so people don't think It was in there whole time and think ur stupid for not seeing it lol.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Windows Vista/Windows 7 have prefetching, but it shouldn't be doing that. Do note that what Task Manager reports as RAM in use also refers to prefetched RAM. It should release said RAM if you run out and need more though. You also shouldn't be running out RAM just installing a game with 4GB (I never did). For reference, with 8GB, my used RAM in idle cases (after a fresh boot, or with Firefox and Winamp running) is often ~1.23GB (that's where it's sitting at now, and I just got done running The Sims 3, which can hog a decent amount of RAM), so it's not alot that should be in use if you're well equipped with RAM. Are you sure something you're running doesn't have a memory leak or something?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well I disabled a lot on my windows lol. Pretty much everything that this guide said, except the remote settings. Windows 7 Service Configurations by Black Viper . It goes to 3.8 and stops and thats when I lag a lot and can't do anything til it's done. then it goes to 3.2 and stays there. This has just happened like 4 times in a row. I have superfect disabled. I run difference games a lot, doesn't that waste RAM if I have it enabled?

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
No, it doesn't waste RAM. People think it does because they see Task Manager saying so much is being taken, and it leaves less RAM idle, but think about it. Idle RAM is wasted RAM at any given moment. Prefetching keeps commonly used things right in memory in case they are used, so the things you use are ready/done quicker. It puts your RAM to use. If you start running low, prefetching should drop said contents (probably the last/least used), so no, it shouldn't be "wasting" RAM. It makes better use of it than leaving it idle. I don't know the super details of it, but that's about it in a gist. You shouldn't disable it (unless maybe your physical total amount is 512MB or something crazy like that).

I never disabled prefetching, and yet still never seen it over ~1.25GB (maybe 1.5GB at most) when sitting idle or doing basic things, so I was honestly questioning how well it was even working? It doesn't seem overly aggressive. I assume Photoshop and some games bring it up over that obviously, but it goes back down after returning to the desktop. I'm wondering if some of the tweaking you did led to this. Maybe prefetching is working, but in a messed up way, and is prefetching things but not releasing it?

Can you check Task Manager when RAM usage is up and find out what is taking so much of it?

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
Im guessing youre using POWERISO? Happened to me, ram usage went up to 95% and wouldnt go down. Unmount the Iso, or use daemon tools.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah poweriso, I'm pretty sure installing a big program did it too tho... Or was it a program saved as a ISO that I mounted with PowerISO. Idk. Im gonna get deamon tools and see how that works.Cuz even when extracting from the ISO made the memory problem happen.

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
im 100% sure its poweriso. I had the same problem. Unmount the iso will fix it after installing.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You were rite about PowerISO. image maker, image extracter, image mounter, all in one program. Too good to be true lol. And I did have superfetch enabled.. I think. I googled how to enable it and it allready was. But my system boots up only using like 1.08gb RAM usage

·
クロスエクス
4,662 Posts
It's the same here, but only when mounting DDA images. I guess is alright, since it's working with a compressed image.

When using it's virtual drive to mount anything else, it doesn't take much ram at all.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
For 4gb of ram Windows 7 ram usage should idle around 25-30-ish percents.The best way to test it is a restart without any image mounting (unmount).

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Disable the IPHelper service completely.

i think i remember someone mentioning that PowerISO has a memory leak......

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
Disable the IPHelper service completely.

i think i remember someone mentioning that PowerISO has a memory leak......
I made a topic about it last moonth, remember? lol

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
We need a guide on which services can safely be disabled on Vista/7 which isn't needed the average consumer.

Just don't post guides that are complete fud, such as those mentioning to disable UAC or Superfetch, contrary to what some people believe those are actually very useful features.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you google black viper, that site has a list of everything you can disable on Windows 7 that you don't need for like regular use. I just re-enabled the remote stuff because I was working on virtual LANs with hamachi and I got a problem so i enabled them. But I'm sure my problem was port forwarding or tunneling. So maybe the remote settings still don't need to be enabled.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
I disabled the IPHelper service (IPv6) because i've noticed when its enabled both on Vista, and win7 it consumes upwards of 500MB's.

I made a topic about it last moonth, remember? lol

Yeah i know that :p but it was somewhere else.
its the Mount driver apparently.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.