Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Enthusiast
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to upgrade my PC to a Core 2 Duo from the Phenom II.

I will be running an Asus Rampage w/ 4 GB of DDR3 Memory, and either of 2 CPU's (I did not know which one would be better for this, so I got both) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 which is 3 Ghz stock, and the Core 2 Duo E8600 Which is 3.33 Ghz stock. MY video card is the GTX 295, or the 280, depending on if I really need the 295 to run emulators effectively.

I have my own PS2, and I have many games, the point is that I am not committing any crimes to play this. I just need to know if it will run on either setup, or would I need to OC the CPU to like 4 (in either case). I'm sure it's not multithreaded, but I don't know really.

Also, is there a list of games that do not work, and what language is the emulator written in? I may want to help design.

·
The Master of Disguise
811 Posts
For info regarding pcsx2 head to the oficial website PCSX2.net - News, u will find the compatibility list, tutorials on how to configure the emu, and much more.

PCSX2 only uses 2 cores so it doesn't matter which processor u use, u will obtain the same results when clocked at the same speed. Some games will require some overclocking, usually 4.0GHz is enough for most games.

If u want to contribute to the project, u will have to contact one of the team in the pcsx2 project, rama2 is mostly the one that checks the forums, so be sure to contact him.

·
Enthusiast
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For info regarding pcsx2 head to the oficial website PCSX2.net - News, u will find the compatibility list, tutorials on how to configure the emu, and much more.

PCSX2 only uses 2 cores so it doesn't matter which processor u use, u will obtain the same results when clocked at the same speed. Some games will require some overclocking, usually 4.0GHz is enough for most games.

If u want to contribute to the project, u will have to contact one of the team in the pcsx2 project, rama2 is mostly the one that checks the forums, so be sure to contact him.
Thank you for the input. I'm hoping oc'ing the Core 2 Duo to 3.86 will be enough. I am not too good at overclocking Intel Chips.

Again, thanks.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
Well, since you have both, you could always stick with the dual core for now, and clock it higher, and then drop the quad core in if you ever need to. Right now, things that take advantage of quad core CPUs is small. Unless you fall into the category of using multiple programs that show great increases in them, I'd personally go with the dual core. PCSX2 favors speed.

I have the E8600 at 4.5GHz and it does very well for PCSX2. I tried the first ~10 minutes of Final Fantasy X in single core mode, and it actually ran full speed most of the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.