Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting like 1800 dollars back from school tutition and I thought to myself I work and I goto school and I saved up a "sum" of money now that I'm getting 1800 back.. I think I owe it to myself to spend some to upgrade my PC.

so I shopped around for video cards and all that and here is my rig check it out everyone a good gaming, and offic app, solid all around motherboard and this Ram!! check out the DVD writer I'm getting and this Video Card since I already have a decent CPU I decided not to upgrade it til later total cost me about 950 which I think isnt bad considering the performance I will be able to get out of this rig and life expectancy!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Qing256,

If you plan to use your new rig for gaming, I suggest you buy an Amd AthlonXP or an Amd Athlon64.

IMHO, these processors are faster than Intel ones, when playing games.
Intel processors are best than Amd ones, for productivity rigs.

Max7.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well see I agree if I was really hardcore with up to date with the latest. But I have a 2.4Ghz HT processor so I dont see any reason to get an AMD 64 FX processor, I mean granted I do agree is it fast as hell, but I doubt I will recognize the performance difference that MUCH ya know, I'm not a huge HARDcore gamer, but I do like to have an updated computer. Athlon64 is just too much, plus most applications dont use the 64 bit addressing power it offers and I'm sure later on the application devs will employee the power, but for now 2.4GHz HT is good enough for Doom3, HL2 and whatever else games that are coming out. And plus throwing out 600 dollars for a processor u really need to give me a better reason than just gaming, I'm more into a well rounded machine. granted I love games, but getting an extra 10 to 20 frames on stuff thats already running 60 frames, just isnt necessary ya know

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi again Qing256,

The reason I suggested buying an AthlonFX, is because it has an integrated dual channel memory controler; but your Pentium4 2.4ghz is very fast, so you can wait until the next AthlonFX 57 arrives :)

About the RAM you are planning to buy, I would advice you to get a more known brand, such as OCZ, Corsair.

The Video Card you have chosen to buy, is very fast, supports Pixel Shaders v3.0 and has 256mb of RAM.

Max7.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the ram is actually better known in the overclocking community than u think, so dont worry I read like 20 pages from forums to forums and reviews to reviews! Give it a try if u got a chance, a friend of mine got one and he is loving every second of it XD
and yeah I'll wait til FX AMD processor's getts cheaper, 600 dollars is just too much

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Although I do have a question, I have 400watt power supply now, is it enough for the video card, motherboard, ram, sound card, HDDs, CD/DVDrom and dvd reader and 5 case fans?

·
Registered
217 Posts
2 questions what power supply is it and what are the rails

rails will be listed on the PSU and will read

3.3v
28A

like that give us those answers and we should be able to tell you if your PSU is enough

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
that 12v line is a little low but that 5v is WAY high i would try it with that PSU see if it works if it doesnt pick up an antec or enermax PSU rated for 430 or above and you should be just fine

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jldnr77: I have no idea what ur talking about with that link cause its a link about pokemon.

Ice: alright thanks dude!

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
Sorry about that, I must have copied and pasted the wrong thing.

Anyway, here are 2 links for dvd burners....they are essentially the same drive, just one is 16x and one is 8x.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=27-106-961&DEPA=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=27-106-953&DEPA=1

I have the 8x one, and it is SWEET!!!! EXTREMELY quiet too!!!! Anyway, just trying to show you you can get a much better dvd burner for a much better price. Oh, and both come in black and white faceplates, in case you were worried about that.

·
Registered
496 Posts
My 350 wt processor (I now have a 450) was doing just fine for my system. I was using 3 hdd's, the 6800GT and a couple drives in there, and had zero problems.
- Modem

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Just wanted to say that I recently bought a pioneer dvr-108 and it works excellent! Ive burned three dvd-r's at 4x with no problems at all and the drive is very quiet. It works fine with my 350w psu and the rest of my rig (see profile). I also flashed the latest firmware with ease. Its a great drive and you should keep it in your mind.

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
qing256: Yes they do. Look at the Write Speed description. It says DVD+R9 2.4X Which means it burns a dvd+r9 at 2.4 speed. Guess what a dvd+r9 is??? OMG!!!! A dual layer disc!!!! It's a miracle!!!! Or you can look at this:

Lite-On 8X Double Layer DVD+/-RW Drive, Model SOHW-832S WHT, Retail
Features: Supported Double Layer DVD+R9 Recording Function. SMART-BURN. SMART-X function. VAS system.

Lite-On 16X DVD Dual Drive, Model SOHW-1633S Black, OEM
Features: SMART-BURN, SMART-X, VAS system.DVD+R9 2.4X(Double Layer Support)

Double Layer Support....hmm....wonder what that means????

Sorry....but my day has been really crappy....and you get to be the one I take my built up sarcasm on. Life sucks, huh?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts