Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes...I finally get to do what I always wanted to do for 5 years...blow 500 bucks on the internet :p Starting Sept. 12, I will finally be 18...which means being able to set up a checking account/debit card so I can use PayPal, so that I can buy from Newegg/eBay :p Now here are my plans at the moment:

-----> http://www.compu-terra.com/store/product3244.html

- Athlon64 3400+ Socket 754 (939 are a little bit expensive for me, and I don't want no 3000+ ;) )
- Gigabyte GA-K8U (ULi chipset.....hope it's better than SiS and VIA ;) )

-----> http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion....asp?ID=1638401&WishListTitle=KIRBY+WISH+LIST

- Sound Blaster Audigy2 Value
- Rosewill 500W PSU (has very good amps on all rails)
- Aspire X-Dreamer II Case
- Logitech MX510 Mouse
- Thermaltake VENUS 12 (supposively noisy at full RPMs, but I'll take max cooling over noise anyday)

-----> Buying off of eBay

- ATi Radeon 9800XT
- Selling my 1GB of PC2700 RAM for 1GB of PC3200....at most will only cost an extra 15 bucks if I sell it high

-----> Whenever I get to the tech stores at the mall ;)

- Some sort of backlit keyboard...so I can see the keys at night (I'm no good at remembering where each key is in the dark :p )

-----> Things I'll be taking from my current rig

- 200GB HD
- 80GB HD (bought it after my 40GB got fried with all my hentai and romz on it :( )
- DVD-RW drive
- CD-RW dive

Estimated expenses (w/o shipping) = $600

I kind of like how this is wrapping up to be....no cheap motherboard this time :p I'm trying to keep the expenses around 600/650 dollars, so it's not very noticable to my parents (and that I only have 1700 in my savings account right now :embl: ).

Probably the only real thing I'm not certain about is the keyboard....which I will happily accept suggestions on. I'm trying not to spend more that 30-40 bucks for such a keyboard.

So suggest away....I got a few weeks anyways ^^

*edit* - Had to up the price by 50 bucks....forgot to add a good Heatsync and some 80mm fans :p

· Registered
1,936 Posts
Do you want a wireless keyboard?

· Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Kirby said:
Yes...I finally get to do what I always wanted to do for 5 years...blow 500 bucks on the internet :p Starting Sept. 12, I will finally be 18...which means being able to set up a checking account/debit card so I can use PayPal, so that I can buy from Newegg/eBay :p Now here are my plans at the moment:
I would wait a little longer. New, faster and cheaper technology is coming out soon and the upgrades you have outlined do not look like much of an improvement from your current computer. May I ask what you need more power to run?

- Sound Blaster Audigy2 Value
I think you are an audio enthusiast correct? If so I would definitely save up for an X-Fi FPS sound card. (With X-RAM) Go to a shop with a test system to hear the resampling tec. (bring your own CDs or MP3s to test)

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/x-fi/technology/

- ATi Radeon 9800XT
This is not a card that will last you the next three years. Are you impartial to Video Cards manufacturers, or will you only use one brand?

Probably the only real thing I'm not certain about is the keyboard....which I will happily accept suggestions on. I'm trying not to spend more that 30-40 bucks for such a keyboard.

So suggest away....I got a few weeks anyways ^^
Hmmm. I will check some retailers’ when I am out tomorrow

· band
5,270 Posts
i wud suggest katsuya to not bother. items' prices and availability in japan is very different from the rest of the world...(my mom tried to buy my dad a canon Powershot A75 a while ago when she went to visit some peeps and was told they cleared out of them a little more than half a year ago...). i agree tho that kirby shud wait since very nice technology is comging out as well as the 9800xt being not a futureproof card. in my opinion, a 6600gt wud be a better choice.

· Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Katsuya said:
I would wait a little longer. New, faster and cheaper technology is coming out soon and the upgrades you have outlined do not look like much of an improvement from your current computer. May I ask what you need more power to run?
games...what else (and also PCSX2)??? I heard UT2007 was going to be a hog :3

All I can think of if I wait is the price drop of the socket 939 chips.....but I really wasn't planning to upgrade with another Athlon64
I think you are an audio enthusiast correct? If so I would definitely save up for an X-Fi FPS sound card. (With X-RAM) Go to a shop with a test system to hear the resampling tec. (bring your own CDs or MP3s to test)

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/x-fi/technology/
no I'm really not...just for games and nothing else, and maybe some editing with audacity here and there
This is not a card that will last you the next three years. Are you impartial to Video Cards manufacturers, or will you only use one brand?
maybe so, but I'm just looking one year at a time....and from what I'm reading, the 9800XT seems quite up to par with the X800....just a bit older in parts (hell....if I do spend the extra 100 to buy a X800, it will be outdated in 3 years anyways :p )

Remember that I can't spare 400 bucks for 1 component.....

· Premium Member
1,933 Posts
D.D. said:
i wud suggest katsuya to not bother. items' prices and availability in japan is very different from the rest of the world...(my mom tried to buy my dad a canon Powershot A75 a while ago when she went to visit some peeps and was told they cleared out of them a little more than half a year ago...). i agree tho that kirby shud wait since very nice technology is comging out as well as the 9800xt being not a futureproof card. in my opinion, a 6600gt wud be a better choice.
Well, digital cameras are a much faster and volatile market then keyboards. But I can see what you mean.

Kirby said:
games...what else (and also PCSX2)??? I heard UT2007 was going to be a hog :3
For UT2007 I would not believe the hype. But if you want the best quality and performance ratio an SM3.0 card is said to be the way only to go.

For PCSX2 not even an AMD64 4000+ would be enough (without heavy optimization and even then it is unlikely) do not make any decisions based off of PCSX2 development.

All I can think of if I wait is the price drop of the socket 939 chips.....but I really wasn't planning to upgrade with another Athlon64no I'm really not...just for games and nothing else, and maybe some editing with audacity here and theremaybe so, but I'm just looking one year at a time....and from what I'm reading, the 9800XT seems quite up to par with the X800....just a bit older in parts (hell....if I do spend the extra 100 to buy a X800, it will be outdated in 3 years anyways :p )
You need not be in such a hurry. Save your money. If the system you have now is doing what you need, then just hold on a little bit longer.

Kirby said:
Remember that I can't spare 400 bucks for 1 component.....
I would never suggest you pay such a price.

· Back from the dead
3,743 Posts
If you've got a 17-inch+ monitor, I would say go for a surround sound system, so you can watch movies in your room.

Katsuya, I don't think that X-Fi sound card is for sale yet. I clicked on the creative shop and it's not listed in there.

· Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fivefeet8 said:
The 9800xt is a good card, but how much are you paying for it and what other cards are priced similar to it in your buying? I think you could get a better card for the same price nowadays.
I was seeing final bids around 125 bucks on eBay....for the X800, it was about 225 bucks. I will admit I haven't been looking into Nvidia as much as I should....just maybe there is a solution out there that might even be faster than the 9800XT and is the same price
For UT2007 I would not believe the hype. But if you want the best quality and performance ratio an SM3.0 card is said to be the way only to go.

For PCSX2 not even an AMD64 4000+ would be enough (without heavy optimization and even then it is unlikely) do not make any decisions based off of PCSX2 development.
you can call that statement sarcasm....I know PCSX2 will never run at full speed with todays' processors. I like writing down things that come into my head ^^
You need not be in such a hurry. Save your money. If the system you have now is doing what you need, then just hold on a little bit longer.
true...true....might wanna wait till the 939 chips lower in price abit....also I had college expenses I'm still not sure how much it will cost.....

· Emulation Junkie
847 Posts
The only thing I have an issue with it the ATI 9800....You could get a 6600GT or a vanilla 6800 for somewhere around the same price off of ebay probably.....I love my 6600GT...it rocks....on it overclocks well too.

BTW....you'll love the MX510 mouse ;)

· Premium Member
8,592 Posts
Kirby said:
I was seeing final bids around 125 bucks on eBay....for the X800, it was about 225 bucks.
Your problem is that if you're sticking with AGP, nvidia cards in agp are currently cheaper.

6600gt - $145 + free shipping
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...e=M&Product_Code=190327&AFFIL=pricewatch&NR=1

Plus, how much are you getting your motherboard for? At this time, you should really think about upgrading to a PCie motherboard. Nvidia has already phased out AGP cards for it's High end 7800gtx/gt.

· Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so.....
9800XT = 6600gt? - $20

I thank everyone for convincing me to hold off untill the Socket 939s drop off in price.....as for PCI-Express, there is a possibility. Actually, I just might buy the processor off of pricewatch, and then the motherboard on newegg (cause most of these CPU/mobo combos don't give many options for different mobos, and usually they are overpriced....also adding on the cost with a stock heatsync I will just be removing anyways)

thanks to all......I will hold off for a month or two now ^^

· Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
fivefeet8 said:
9800XT < 6600gt - $20
I'll say....

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1755.3/

btw....does the PCI-E version come at the same price as it's AGP counterpart?

*edit* actually....the ATi X800 isn't that more expensive, and seems to beat the 6600GT in several different benchmarks...still not too sure about the difference between a 128MB and a 256MB card

· Registered
7,840 Posts
6600GT seems to perform better, and add to this it supports shader model 3.0, I think it's worth the 20$ extra ;)

Or you could get a 6800nu if you want to play recent games with lots of PS effects, 12-16 pipelines is better than just 8 :p

· Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
K....doing alot of research (2 hours worth :D ), I came up with a decision:

9800XT < 6600GT < 6800 Vanilla <> X800

so I guess it's now down to if I want to spend an extra 30 bucks for a 6800 Vanilla...or not :p

· Registered
7,407 Posts
Socket 754.. big no-no. Save for 939, you'll be glad you did.

· Quad Core FTW!!!
782 Posts
cooliscool said:
Socket 754.. big no-no. Save for 939, you'll be glad you did.
I agree with cooliscool. The processors are 64-bit, but if you upgrade to 939 in the future, you cant use the 754 processors(duh). Not only that but 754 is limited to AGP, which is still good in todays game but I'd reccomend going PCI Express, since I have a feeling after the Xbox 360 hits the shelves, (and to a bigger extent PS3) companies will utilize this technology more on the computer. Also, Socket 754 is going to be discontinued. If you ask me 754 is a complete waste of money. Save up for 939 , but I'm sticking to Socket A until this newer technology (SLI...etc..) is used to its max. Right now I believe it's a money trap.
You do what you want however.

I would reccomend going with NVIDIA, but that's just my opinion.

· Registered
177 Posts
i advice you to drop the audigy sound card (worse drivers ever seen!!!) save money and buy a better mobo look at mine (click links on signature) for example has got 5.1 and eax built in!(and a lot of in/outs) in addition go for 939 socket and pciex gpu(almost same money as agp)

and definitely buy 2 ram sticks instead of one for dualchannel and sometimes x2 512 sticks are a lot cheaper than 1 1gb stick

so better expandibility and performance... almost same price

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.