Next Generation Emulation banner

My internets?

2K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  Squall-Leonhart 
#1 ·
My internet will stop working (or start working very poorly) on my pc and my mothers pc until we reset the computers after a certain period of time. I'm connected by wire (to router) and shes using wireless. When we call our isp they say its something on our side, what connection setting could be causing this problem?

#27 ·
Its impossible to stream videos at full speed and download torrents at full speed simultaneously. I think what he meant was, is that you can limit the d/l speed of your torrents so there's enough left for you browse the net comfortably as well....though personally, I think uTorrent somehow automatically puts itself on low priority, cuz whenever I download something via HTTP, the torrent speed automatically drops to almost zero to allow the other download to run smoothly.
I always thought the web browser had priority of bit torrent downloads......

#30 ·
I've only had that be done when my router was on the wireless setting. If I was connected to a cable, then everything went smoothly. I'm sorry. I guess I'm no help.
lol being surrounded by tech-geeks is unwillingly gonna turn you into one too after some time :p Your posts are starting to sound a bit like it :lol:

#31 ·
I did not notice before but my internet would go dead often and I thought my isp was just extremely crappy. There was a point in time when downloading multiple bit-torrents did not kill my connection. I use the bit-torrent program, BitTorrent :p BTw, when I saw kill I don't mean all my band-with is in use, I mean my usage drops to 0 kbs.
Your ISP has implemented a P2P detection algorithm. My ISP has the same deal. Basically, if your computer is opening a bunch of ports in rapid succession, you are uploading a large amount of data in sporadic intervals over a set period of time, and/or you have downloaded a large amount of data over a set period of time, your ISP's gateway will begin throttling your throughput bandwidth. If you don't close the P2P client or cease downloading (several large legitimate downloads can trip the algorithm), the gateway will disable your connection and force an early expiration on your IP address lease, essentially putting you in time-out. When that happens, shut down all computers or disconnect your cable/DSL modem for an hour or so.

#32 ·
Your ISP has implemented a P2P detection algorithm. My ISP has the same deal. Basically, if your computer is opening a bunch of ports in rapid succession, you are uploading a large amount of data in sporadic intervals over a set period of time, and/or you have downloaded a large amount of data over a set period of time, your ISP's gateway will begin throttling your throughput bandwidth. If you don't close the P2P client or cease downloading (several large legitimate downloads can trip the algorithm), the gateway will disable your connection and force an early expiration on your IP address lease, essentially putting you in time-out. When that happens, shut down all computers or disconnect your cable/DSL modem for an hour or so.
No.
Its the max connection limit in the router itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.