Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Clumsy And Stupid
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
nah, i'm not that angry. and about time too, that gfx card has been showing signs of problems lately. so now i'm in need of a new gfx card so i can test the full functions of pcsx2 and recent pc games link POP:Warrior Within and NFS U:2. What do you guys suggest? i'm looking for a decent but powerful gfx card within range of RM150 to RM300. that would be $75 to $150 in us dollars.

I was using Nvidia GeForce Fx5200 before. i'm thinking of changing to ATi.

·
Registered
359 Posts
You can always get a FX 5700 ultra, if you still have faith in Nvidia. If not, you can get ATI Radeon 9600 xt for about $110.
Beware that all the new and powerful card are a bit higher, like 50 bucks.
so before doing anything, just look for the cards and prices.

·
Registered
92 Posts
AmienZero said:
nah, i'm not that angry. and about time too, that gfx card has been showing signs of problems lately. so now i'm in need of a new gfx card so i can test the full functions of pcsx2 and recent pc games link POP:Warrior Within and NFS U:2. What do you guys suggest? i'm looking for a decent but powerful gfx card within range of RM150 to RM300. that would be $75 to $150 in us dollars.

I was using Nvidia GeForce Fx5200 before. i'm thinking of changing to ATi.
Hi,

was it your geforce fx5200 card that got burned due to overclock without cooling ? With your budget, you can buy an used ATI R9600 or nvidia fx5700
through hardwarezone.

·
Clumsy And Stupid
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i still have faith in Nvidia, seeing that their gfx card are tuned to play Doom3, but right now i'm interested in playing Half Life 2, POP:WW, NFSU:2. I can't even play Star Wars KOTOR using my GeForce 5200. My Specs are good enough to play SW:KoTOR but the game lags to much. That's why i'm thinking on changing to ATi. Is the ATi Radeon 9800 xt quite good?

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
The 9800 XT is pretty good if you can get one for that cheap. ATi cards run Doom 3 pretty well, I got 31 FPS on the timedemo with my 9500 Pro (1024x768, high settings). During actual gameplay it's usually a little lower.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
better get radeon instead of nvidia if ur r thinking of the fx series...r955xt should be good...

·
Registered
88 Posts
ati radeon 9800pro/9700pro if you can find one cheap enough... nvidia fx series aren't so good

·
Clumsy And Stupid
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sportster00 said:
Hi, was it your geforce fx5200 card that got burned due to overclock without cooling ? With your budget, you can buy an used ATI R9600 or nvidia fx5700 through hardwarezone.
nope. i didn't overclock my gfx card. i think it got burned because the fan is somehow broken. because when i checked the card, the fan didn't spin at all. anyway, my friend told me that i should get the newest gfx card using pci express rather than the old agp card. what do you guys think?

Neo-Zacar said:
ati radeon 9800pro/9700pro if you can find one cheap enough... nvidia fx series aren't so good
why is the fx series aren't so good?

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
The only thing I can think of that's not good about them is their poor DX9 performance compared to the ATi and GeForce 6xxx cards. If you were to get a PCI-Express video card, you would have to buy a new motherboard (and a new processor, unless you already have a Socket 939 Athlon 64). The Intel PCI-E boards use Socket T and the nForce4 boards (Athlon 64) use Socket 939.

·
Clumsy And Stupid
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay, that means i won't be buying the PCI-E cards as i'm sticking to my P4 2.0GHz and my MSI 6787 8x Agp Mobo. how much is the Nvidia GeForce 6xxx series? is the ATi r955xt good enough for me?

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
The 6600 GT is above your budget and the plain 6600 seems to be PCI-E only right now. Newegg has some 9600 XT cards for $134-149, they are good cards and are faster than the 9550 XT. If a 9600 XT is too expensive, try looking for a 9600 Pro.

·
Clumsy And Stupid
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what's the difference between 9600 XT and 9600 pro?

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
The XT is clocked higher and has an internal temperature diode, as well as the ability to use ATi's Overdrive overclocking utility.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I hart my 9600XT. :2love:

·
Registered
92 Posts
AmienZero said:
okay, that means i won't be buying the PCI-E cards as i'm sticking to my P4 2.0GHz and my MSI 6787 8x Agp Mobo. how much is the Nvidia GeForce 6xxx series? is the ATi r955xt good enough for me?
Go for ATI R955XT in this case, because GF6 series is outside ur budget, high power consumption and system requirment to take advantage of it would require system upgrade.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
some r955xt is clock nearly r96xt (400+/500+),and i dont believe that my friend 5900xt perform worse than r9550xt in half-life 2...too bad...afaik the price of r9550xt is 2/3 of r96xt price...

·
Clumsy And Stupid
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so now, which one is better? R955XT or the 9600XT? i think i can overbugdet for another $10 or $15 :p. I'm going to buy it this evening as i just got my payment, so i need to know which is better before i buy either of them.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
i dont know the price at your place...u have to compare it urself:p but here,the price of r9550xt is about 2/3 of r96xt,maybe around $80+

1 - 20 of 21 Posts