Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally I got it :D

When I picked it up, the first thing I felt was ... coolness. No, really. The case seems to be made of some kind of metal. So it feels cool to the touch, and gives an impression of a tightly contructed electronic equipment, instead of a kid's toy like the other GBs (even the SP). The face plate is clear plastic, with the colour or graphics printed on the underside.

The D-pad and "a" & "b" (in lower case) and volume buttons are hard and smooth plastic, instead of the usual textured material in other Nintendo controllers. The L and R and SELECT and START buttons are chromed. SELECT and START text (within the buttons) light up blue or red to indicate charging or need charging respectively. They also light up and flash when you turn it on; otherwise they stay unlit. The D-pad and a b buttons are very springy, much more like the original Gameboys or GBA. The L R SELECT START are the clicky type like DS.

The screen has 5 brightness settings; so far I find the 2nd dimmest is good for me. The bad news is that it isn't as good as the new SP backlit screen; i.e. it's less contrasted. The good news is that it's still better than the DS, which is much better than all other GBs. The size of the screen is indeed less comfortable for certain games, namely text heavy games with small fonts, or shooting games with small targets and shots. However it only becomes a problem if you have to play it for a long long time...

It has a stardard headphone jack so it's nice if you need to hear your game, for example your co-driver in a rally game ;) But it has yet another new connector that combines the AC adapter with the EXT connection. Yep, new link cables (and wireless adapter) again. Also the GC connection doesn't work and I'm not sure if Nintendo or 3rd party will make one for the GBM, esp since the GC may die next year (lets hope not). As with DS, the GBM isn't compatible with 8-bit GB games. It's also not compatible with the eCard reader.

I took some pictures of it running SMB3 and Wario4; same games I used for the SP thread so you can compare. Also pictures with the GBC, SP, and a G&W MS (that's Game&Watch Multiscreen, young padawan).

· Premium Member
5,551 Posts
Cute, nice screen on it, and omg is that tiny, perhaps too tiny?!, but it's still just the same ol' stuff re-packaged, or milking the cow, at this rate why don't they make it like those old crap Nokia phones, so you can just change it's 'skin'...

Nice to see some old Game and Watch action though :D

· Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hehe, yeah the whole point is to make it tiny. The thickness is actually close to the SP bottom half; the GBM is a bit bulged up in the middle, while the left and right sides are as thick as the SP bottom. No, the cartridge is not almost taller... maybe 2/3. It is definitely taller than the screen tho. I'll take some pics next time comparing to all kinds of miscellaneous things I have :lol:

I found the D-pad and buttons more comfortable than the flat ones on the SP. And for some reasons, it's more comfortable to hold the GBM too... BTW, altho the DS is much larger, its buttons are much smaller :(

I grew up with Game&Watch (yeah I'm old) and like I said in the old GBM thread, Nintendo has finally brought back the form factor - something they've been unable to do with the GB, until now. If one day they can make a DS match the size of that Multiscreen, I'll be sold, again.

· Foundry/Foundation
11,824 Posts
takwu said:
I found the D-pad and buttons more comfortable than the flat ones on the SP. And for some reasons, it's more comfortable to hold the GBM too... BTW, altho the DS is much larger, its buttons are much smaller :(
Yes, in an ideal world, they would be slightly bigger ;)

· Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Enjoying the GBM very much. I do find sometimes I still use the SP at home when I want a more legible screen, which is unbeatable. But otherwise the SP is pretty much reserved for 8-bit games. Most of the time I just go for the GBM even when I'm home; it does have better buttons, and the reduced weight is nice too.

BTW I took some more comparison pictures: GB cartridge, GBA cartridge, my Smartphone (which has a 2.2 inch screen), some keys :rolleyes:, Gamecube controller, memory card, and game disc.

· カラム
365 Posts
damnit, thats so puny :p

· Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
i want to get one of these just to carry around to random places....if i get near one ill take a picture next to my hands...the only controller that fits my hands is the Xbox one so this will be interesting :p

· Aim 4 the stars...
574 Posts
somehow, i feel that the gba micro is WAY too small... i mean look at that thing... look at the size of the screen.sheesh.

no offense but i dont think that will be very comfortable to play with...
anyway, it seems that you liked it...and that is all that matters.

· Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Last night I got another reason to use the SP instead of Micro - when its battery runs out :p Not that it happens often at all. It lasted quite a few days before I had to charge it the second time since I bought it. And it only took 2 hours to charge it back up.

laserjohn, no offense taken of course :) But as I said before, the Micro is surprisingly more comfortable to hold and use compared to the SP. The D-pad and buttons are much further apart; plus they are not flat; and the corners don't torture your thumbs :p

Ah, but the screen... I just discovered that the screen is a little bit bigger than screen caps on the back of the GBA game boxes (for the ones I have anyway). And sometimes those printed screen caps have less clarity than the pixel-perfect LCD. So if you have a box, you can sorta imagine the screen, just a bit better. One more picture for today :innocent:

*edit* News! Walmart in my area (BC Canada) has gone nuts (walnuts?) and reduced the price of the GBM to $98.77 CDN. Ends Oct 7th - hurry!
http://walmart.crosscap.ca/wps-portal/storelocator/InlineLargePreview.jsp?imageid=2711&lang=

· Aim 4 the stars...
574 Posts
But as I said before, the Micro is surprisingly more comfortable to hold and use compared to the SP. The D-pad and buttons are much further apart; plus they are not flat; and the corners don't torture your thumbs

hm... u are right... maybe micro is good after all! :thumb:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.