Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started to learn flash in school about 3-4 months ago. Now i have my first flash game/project done (or at least decently playable) may add more later.

it's a platformer like super mario.
it only have 5 levels so far.

please tell me what you think?

feel free to comment about the flash source code if you want. (if i can make anything better, or if i'm doing something completly wrong :innocent: )

heres the game with source my flash game

·
Registered
694 Posts
the game bugged out on me after the first game over and whenever i tried to restart, the game would end again within a couple seconds of restarting. i have to admit, i raged pretty hard when i saw that message about having to go back for the coins before being able to complete a stage.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm i haven't gotten that bug yet, restart always work for me.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
The game should be called "Basketballania" for all intents and purposes. :p But seriously... pressing up continuously gives that bouncy feel that reminds me of a basketball... heavily. And then the "pacman" is even orange. Oh god... :lol:

No but seriously, a bouncing basketball as substitute for Mario or Pacman isn't half bad.

That aside, nice start. ;) Though in my opinions... you should either have put all of your codes into the 1st frame of the game... (even the enemy codes and such) and make global variables, or use external document classes altogether. :p (personal preference, I guess, but whenever I go OOP, procedural just looks like an ugly mess, and whenever I go procedural for experiments, OOP just looks like a fat, sloppy pig in a suit)

That and maybe try taking a look at the ByteArray and BitmapData classes. Those might be able to provide you extra kicks of performance.

A large list of if statements might actually be... quite annoying to look at, so maybe the switch case... statements seem more attractive?

Last but not least, do consider learning about timings and the Timer class in AS as they would help liberating you from the framerate of the clip. ;)

And saving for last, I'd love to point you towards actionscript.org and its large library of articles about ActionScript good practices as well as sample codes. Though nothing beats DIY, ya? :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when i started this project i had only the basic understanding of how to code we have a actionscript 3 book in class from basic commands like trace to more complex and when i started i was only about 1/3 through the book and knew the basics of if statements, variables, basic flash related stuff and so on. so this has been a learn while you code experience.

when i had a problem i looked it up in the book or the internet or even thought about it before i went to sleep...

well in the end the code ended up a bit messed up.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
double post....

·
Registered
694 Posts
ive been playing this game for hours and was just wondering if it was supposed to bounce you back down if you hit a ceiling.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well yes isn't that what usually happens if you hit a ceiling normally.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
when i started this project i had only the basic understanding of how to code we have a actionscript 3 book in class from basic commands like trace to more complex and when i started i was only about 1/3 through the book and knew the basics of if statements, variables, basic flash related stuff and so on. so this has been a learn while you code experience.

when i had a problem i looked it up in the book or the internet or even thought about it before i went to sleep...

well in the end the code ended up a bit messed up.
Yeah, learning while coding was pretty much what I did for ActionScript 3.0, too. Last time I tried to do anything advanced, I ended up with an emulator.

But hell, I think your first work beats mine by miles. I started out a golf game, and ended with like... pretty much 1001 ways to glitch collision detection. Since then until I completed an emulator, it was like... 3 months, so I think that if you really put your efforts into it, you can master the language in no time.

Plus it's really shaping up to be something awesome. Come with Flash 10, there's a few stuffs that are too cool not to mention:

1) 3D! Well, still suffer from the slow-ness of most 3D engine since Flash 9, but who knows... there's one that is effortlessly distributed.

2) User-generated sounds, advanced sound manipulations... Boy... did this not make my father, a music junky, jump up and down in joy.

3) Other stuffs... well, animator in 3D, vectors, etc... oh, and hardware acceleration, too, though I doubt that does much of anything at all.

Looking forward to seeing more from you. :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
here is a little sideproject i worked on while i made the first game, got bored this weekend and worked on it.

it's a space shooter where you shoot meteorites as they fall down and you must shoot them all or you will lose a life (more instruction in the info.txt)

anyway here's the game with source space_shooter.zip

i have a problem determining what kind of background music i should use. if you have any suggestions please tell.

btw. i don't know if it is just me but when i play the game it seems to skip a frame whenever a sound is played, anyone know if i'm doing something wrong in the code (i just make a new variable with: var snd:Sound = new Soundfile() and snd.play() where it is played) or if it is just my AAO being a bit slow.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
No music is fine. Not like Space Invaders had any. As for the sound lag, I think it's something else interfering with your Flash content.

My Eee has no problem poking through that game... as it was simple enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts