Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Heretic
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. So some time last year I created a thread asking what people would think of a remake of FF7 in 2D. There was mixed reception, for some it wasn't their cup of tea at all, and for others it was exactly what they were after (if well executed). What I failed to mention in the thread was that I was gauging the reactions people would have for the project - as it was what I was undertaking. So I've been working diligently for about 6 months on replicating the FF7 menu in everyway possible. Its taken a lot of research into the exact mechanics of many features that previously weren't well documented at all. And for those wondering, this was done in Rm2k3.

In anycase I've reached the stage where I need a swarm of people to test the menu in order to iron out bugs resulting from insane combinations of things, which I could never hope to find by myself. Also looking for inconsistencies with the real FF7 menu, such as sound effects being in the wrong place, absent features, etc. The only thing that comes to mind that really differs is the config menu for obvious reasons.

Controls:

F4 Full Screen/Window Mode Toggle
F5 Large/Small Window Toggle
F12 Return to Title Screen
Cancel on Title Screen quits the game
Z, X, Shift, 1, 2, 3 are the only keys used in the menu. You should be able to figure out what kind of functions they're bound to and hopefully it will become intuitive after a bit.

Bugs Found Already:

-Item Menu: Can't sort by quantity
-Config Menu: MP3 support NYI
-PHS Menu: Can have an empty party, this is done on purpose (for now)
-No autoscroll aside from config menu. This is intentional, the menu does too much on-the-fly calculations to make autoscroll viable. However you can quick scroll with left/right arrows and 1/2 on all menus. I doubt you'll notice the lack of autoscrolling after a while.
-HP<->MP materia not fully functional. HP and MP is swapped, but MP still only shows 3 digits instead of 4.
-Limit items NYI

Download here (4mb)

Screenshots:

·
Level 9998
10,591 Posts
Nice job.

From my testing, it works well. Minus the bugs you have mentioned. Problem here is that with a menu of this scale, there is no way anyone would be interested enough to fully test everything there is to it. If anything, maybe you should add other new features to pique people's interest? ;)

And a 2D remake is always welcome... if it's a quality one.

·
Drowning in a red state.
11,919 Posts
Yeah, between this, uni, and the social life I've suddenly discovered I have little time for forum posting anymore. D:
I commend you that must of took a ridiculously long amount of time.
Amazed at the accuracy considering you did it in rpgmaker.....
The menu itself is probably one of the hardest thinks to replicate.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Do you have square's permission to do this, if not i think if they ever hear about this, there are probably going to put a c&d order on you.

·
Curiously Cheddar
4,521 Posts
Do you have square's permission to do this, if not i think if they ever hear about this, there are probably going to put a c&d order on you.
Why? He's basically making whoever won't play the original game because of its rubbish 3D graphics, consider the franchise (and thus every 'expansion' of the franchise). I'd willingly play the game in 2D... ****, I'd probably pay for it.

Awesome job Vanit, I just gave it a quick spin. Looking mighty slick xD

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
alast you haven't seen what they did to that chrono trigger fan remake that got stoped by them.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
from what i understand they were almost finished it aswell. There was also a beta released at some point, will have to check if it was leeked at any point. (not like i would download it for copyright reasons i wouldnt)

a video that might interest demi fiend

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
if i remember right Namco now own the rights due to some weird turn of events. (Chrono not ff7),

but to get this back ontopic, i think this is an exelent project, and a big middle finger to square enix, hope to see it completed soon.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.