Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to two drives: a cd-rom and burner/dvd-rom. Both are bad. Yesterday I was installing THUG 2 by the CD-ROM drive, then, in the 3rd cd, the setup crashed and the following message appeared (smth like this) "the file x couldn't be copied(cyclic redundancy verification)". I doubt my prob is with the disc, it is clean and I have installed this game a lot of times (needed to instal it yesterday due a reformat again).
Right now I don't have a buck to spare with another CD drive. Is there anyway I could "fix" it? I was thinking about doing a overclock in the cd-rom... what do you think?
ps: my dvd reader does not read dvds anymore.. lol.. it just burn cd-r now (when it is in good mood).

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
Er... Since you were installing on the CD-ROM drive, why not let the DVD-ROM-but-no-only-burns-CDs-now install the CD? It's still a CD-ROM reader. Unless of course, its on the fritz too.

CRC errors are usually caused by 2 things. Either the CD is bad, or that the drive is weakening already. It can't reliably read data especially if the data isn't in ideal conditions, but should supposedly be still within the readable range (not yet officially bad). If you keep on reusing the CD, of course, it'll be damaged by wear and tear. That's why you should make backups. Weakened drives are unfortunately much more expensive to repair than to replace.

To check, get a friend to lend you his/her CD-ROM drive.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I've already tried to use the DVD-driver-thingie (as I always do in cases like this) but no work. The two drivers seems to be doomed.
Also, both drivers have lecture problems. Not all CDs I have works on them.
BTW, is this related? - sometimes when I start Windows, both drives are ON, but none recognizes the CD I put in. Is this related to lack of energy? Can lack of energy damage a CD drive? If so, you must change my PSU too. :)
Any ideas for this noob mind?

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Check if your IDE cables are loose. Unplug it and replug them well, even the motherboard head.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Maza: Checked cable. Everythng ok.
@KanedA: I've tried to make the iso using both drives... but no work =\. In the normal drive, I can get 65% of reading, but then the program crashes and can't finish the image. With
the burner, it "reads" the cd, but the reading range/data transferency is 2kb/s... I still need to try making a image from this cd in my friend's drive, his drives is in a better state than mine.

But I was reading that there are programs that can read even the most scratched of the cds :D I heard that IsoBuster do it well. Which software like this do you recommend?

Ah, and for these lasts tries of making an iso, I've used CloneCD.
Thanks ^^

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.