Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a little bit of an embarassing story...but i tried to recover from it, and i just cant. i swapped out every part of my computer and yet nothing works. let me explain. PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE THREAD AND HELP ME.. IM PULLING MY GODDAMN HAIR OUT.

does anyone remember the "pr0nster"? if you read the "hushy/eternal11" thread you'd know. anyway, it's a computer i made with a 50 dollar Sempron 2200+ and ECS mobo combo, with a bunch of extra parts with help from eternal11 (i shall forthwith call him Chris, that's a little less weird for me).

so one day, he sold his RAM on ebay, but i still had it. before i gave it back, i put it in the pronster so i could use that computer for a bit. i turned it on and smelled something burning. what the hell....? OH ****!!!!!! i put one of the RAM sticks in HALF ****ING WAY :emb:

well we sold the RAM, no complaints yet, so i guess it's fine.

ok so back to teh story. i put MY samsung ram in there (from the 2500+, my main rig) and it didnt work. skipping ahead a bit, i've replaced EVERYTHING in the entire computer and it STILL wont work. oh, by the way, by "wont work" means that i turn it on....everything seems fine...but nothing shows up on my monitor.

here's what i changed:

hard drive, case, CD rom drive, case fans, HSF: SAME
TI4200 --> GF2mx
Sempron 2200+ ---> Tbred 2200+
Rosewill PSU ---> 300w Antec PSU
the Nanya RAM ---> Samsung DDR400
ECS (POS) mobo --> DFI AD77 Infinity

EVERYTHING has been changed. i've even tried it wtih CD ROM drive and HDD disconnected--- meaning that EVERY WORKING PART (well excluding casefans/HSF) have been replaced. NO GO. the monitor works; chris used it a couple days ago. the RAM works, it was in here. the GF2 worked last time i used it. the DFI mobo i got from a friend, and im pretty sure it works. the PSU worked last time i used it. the Tbred worked before i got it.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG? i've literally replaced every part, but in that case, nothing works. is there something i'm doing wrong? if worse comes to worse, i will check EVERY. SINGLE. PART. in this (my main) computer to see if every part works. that'd be a huge ***** :hdbash: but if i have to, i have to.

...any suggestions?

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
Man, talk about bad luck.
Its really hard to tell. The pc doesnt make any beeping sounds, through the speaker?

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm positive everything is connected properly. i went back and checked every connection, and i reconnected all those little cords for USB/power switch/etc carefully and with the manual in hand.

i also hear no beeps when it starts up...i turn it on, hear some HDD noise (crunch crunch old HDD...) then it just sits there.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dukelord said:
Is your mobo good?
not sure about that; i got it off a friend. it SHOULD be good but i cant be 100% sure yet, i've never seen it in action.

player-X said:
Take the whole thing apart MOBO included and put it back together piece by piece and see if that would help
well thats a grand idea, but you need ALL the parts to make it work...i cant just take one piece out and see if it doesnt work with it. if worse comes to worse, ill swap out all the parts in my 2500+ machine and see how that goes.

·
Registered
331 Posts
hm, well this friday we'll try to fix it as well as assemble my nitroux system for my computer. all will be well, and you can pay me too ;)

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
What about extra standoffs in the case? Maybe the board is shorting out on one. Did you use plastic washers when screwing down the board? A screw that is slightly offset could short the board out aswell.

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
I know you've probably done this, but have you tried using the little jumper on your mobo to reset your bios???

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
hushypushy said:
well thats a grand idea, but you need ALL the parts to make it work...i cant just take one piece out and see if it doesnt work with it. if worse comes to worse, ill swap out all the parts in my 2500+ machine and see how that goes.

I ment picec by piece carefully to make sure eavh component is seated properly

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reichfuher said:
What about extra standoffs in the case? Maybe the board is shorting out on one. Did you use plastic washers when screwing down the board? A screw that is slightly offset could short the board out aswell.
hmm, interesting point. i have no washers at all...the thing is directly screwed into the case....

Jldnr77 said:
I know you've probably done this, but have you tried using the little jumper on your mobo to reset your bios???
actually, yes i did do that. i even remembered to set the jumpers to 166 fsb (from 100).

Player-X said:
I ment picec by piece carefully to make sure eavh component is seated properly
ah, i see. and actually, i did do that. i put in the new CPU, new PSU, and i've taken out the gfx card many a time as well.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
hushypushy said:
i'm positive everything is connected properly. i went back and checked every connection, and i reconnected all those little cords for USB/power switch/etc carefully and with the manual in hand.

i also hear no beeps when it starts up...i turn it on, hear some HDD noise (crunch crunch old HDD...) then it just sits there.
No beeps means either a dead CPU or board. You should really try that hadware in your PC.

·
The seeker of perfection
3,628 Posts
If there is no beep the mobo may be dead but it could be due to another problem seeing that you changed mobos:

-----ECS (POS) mobo --> DFI AD77 Infinity

You may have not plugged something from the case to the mobo correctly.. It happened to me twice and i was doing it exactly the way the manual said and it turned out it was not that way. Sometimes the plugs are corresct but you have to plug them the other way around (did i explain myself or i'm too sleepy? :lol: )

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
what about the monitor?? ain't it damaged (in case you just can't see anything on it and rest works)

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
you could try to use a pci gfx card, maybe it is the agp slot.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kazuya Mishima said:
You may have not plugged something from the case to the mobo correctly.. It happened to me twice and i was doing it exactly the way the manual said and it turned out it was not that way. Sometimes the plugs are corresct but you have to plug them the other way around (did i explain myself or i'm too sleepy? :lol: )
well i went and turned all the cords around...i.e. the part that says "HDD LED" was facing down, now it's facing up. same result.

Kaneda said:
what about the monitor?? ain't it damaged (in case you just can't see anything on it and rest works)
thats what i thought, but chris was here a couple days ago and used his computer on that monitor and it was fine.

Typhoon01 said:
you could try to use a pci gfx card, maybe it is the agp slot.
tried it with an old S3 Trio, still no go.

Cooliscool said:
No beeps means either a dead CPU or board. You should really try that hadware in your PC.
yeah, that's what im gonna do when i get home. ill put the hdd in here (and take out the current ones) and boot it up, turn it off...replacing one part at a time (CPU last). man....i wonder what i did wrong...? :hdbash:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts