Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I recently downloaded and installed Dolphin SVN R 3402 and have attempted to run Mario Strikers Charged for Wii. The early loading screens have about 35-45 fps, but once it reaches the main menu, the fps slows to 7-12fps and it only slightly improves during actual play (during match) to about 11-14fps.

Now, I have tried tweaking the video settings, and have made sure everything is set for maximum performance. I followed the instructions of the set up guide and installed the runtime libraries, as well as the latest driver for my video card. I have already tried no sound (which causes my game to crash), enabling dual core, trying Direct X plugin and many other things, but nothing improves my fps.

I am betting this is due to my hardware, most likely my video card, but I am not a computer whiz so this isn't for sure. If a cheap upgrade is possible (<$100) for any part of my comp that might make it run faster, please let me know. If you know any other possible solutions, please let me know.

P.S. Unrelated to this problem, my computer turns off with no warning whenever I am playing a game that is graphically demanding or causing my comp to work hard. This happened with Left 4 Dead as well as Mario Strikers if I played the game for more than a couple minutes. Could this be due to a bad power supply...? Bonus points if anyone can offer possible problems/fixes?:)

My Comp Stats:
Windows Vista 32bit
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ (2.6GHz)
3GB RAM DDR2
nvidia Geforce 6150SE nforce 430

Thank you so much for reading this.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Would you mind giving replies worth reading (And actually helps) instead of that crap? Anyway, i agree with what BigIg said. Just know that you need to have some experience in over clocking if you plan to do that, or you WILL damage your processor.

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Would you mind giving replies worth reading (And actually helps) instead of that crap? Anyway, i agree with what BigIg said. Just know that you need to have some experience in over clocking if you plan to do that, or you WILL damage your processor.
Yeah, since it's likely he has an OEM computer he may be unable to overclock, but it might not necessarily be impossible. If anything he could pick up a cheap AMD motherboard that has some overclocking options and it compatible with the rest of his hardware.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Totally agree on the extremely helpful `No.`response, I`m sure you (and probably only you) found your response funny, but it only makes you appear rude and immature. On to more useful responses...

Is overclocking really hard to do, or can I learn it from a guide or something? I want to do whats possible, but if I need to have a great deal of tech experience than maybe I`ll just forget that route and buy a new graphics card. Any ideas on a good one for about 50-100 bucks? (most likely buying through ebay)

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
As for the GPU, something like this should be acceptable: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187030
Overclocking isn't that hard, but if you have a brand-name computer it may not be possible. Look up AMD Overclocking Tutorials for some information about it.

Also, you may want to install a 64bit Operating System, I believe Dolphin 64bit builds are a tad faster.

·
Time Lord
2,067 Posts
I used to have a Athlon 4000+ dual core and that worked ok with dolphin, just get a decent graphics card. A Geforce 8xxx or 9xxx should do. Don't overclock if you don't know what you are doing and especially not if you are already having problems with overheating.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used to have a Athlon 4000+ dual core and that worked ok with dolphin, just get a decent graphics card. A Geforce 8xxx or 9xxx should do. Don't overclock if you don't know what you are doing and especially not if you are already having problems with overheating.
So are you saying my computer was shutting off due to overheating? Is there anything I can do/replace to resolve that problem?

So if I buy a Geforce 8xxx or 9xxx (probably gonna go with the one BigIg recommended), is there any way it WON'T work on my comp (any possible compatibility issues)?

Oh and thanks to everyone for their help, truly appreciated.

·
Time Lord
2,067 Posts
It's one possibility why you're computer is shutting off yup, leave the side of your computer off and see if it still does it. Those cards will work as long as you have a pci express slot on your motherboard

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's one possibility why you're computer is shutting off yup, leave the side of your computer off and see if it still does it. Those cards will work as long as you have a pci express slot on your motherboard
I actually used to keep it off but it still happened. I just cleaned my comp for the first time ever and removed a pound of dust..lol (most of it covering my cpu fan), so I'm hoping that will help fix the problem.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
7,022 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, I guess I'll go out and buy the 9800GT tomorrow. Quick question: In general, does the model of a card determine performance far more than the amount of memory the card has? (i.e. is the difference between 9600 and 9800 card greater than the difference 512mb and 1gb would have?)

·
No sir, I don't like it.
7,022 Posts
The amount of video memory (VRAM) is important for ingame textures, shaders, and anti-aliasing (AA). 1GB cards offer a performance improvement in a few PC games like GTA4, Half Life 2 with the "HD" pack installed, Oblivion with Qarl's texture pack, etc. Other than these examples, a 512MB card is perfectly fine, especially if the primary reason is PS2 emulation.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)

·
Join the Dark Side!!
266 Posts
correct me if I'm wrong but the OP didn't stated what PSU he have, and his original card options was lowend models that doesn't have PCI-E connector...

careful if you pickup that 9800GT, you'll need a 450W? descent PSU with 28Amps? (didn't remember exactly) to keep your system stable, also don't expect too much improvement 'cause you have a rather weak CPU to emulate Dolphin/PCSX2.

If you plan to upgrade your VGA for more purposes like PC gaming a 9800GT will be a huge boost over your IGP, but for emulation will not be so huge.

For emulation a CPU upgrade will be better, but I recommend you to start with the VGA anyway, It's a more wise desicion overall.

PD: Have you think of getting a HD4670???, performs a little less than a 9800GT but It doesn't use PCI-E connector, or a HD4770/HD4830, performs almost equal to a 9800GTX.

ATi options that maybe save you a couple of bucks and delivers GREAT performance.

CHEERS!!

Well, in my position, which card would you choose between these two:

Newegg.ca - SPARKLE SX96GT2048D2-HP GeForce 9600 GT 2GB 256-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.ca - SPARKLE SFPX98GT512D3 GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Does the fact that one is 9800 outweigh the fact the other is 2GB VRAM? While I am getting this card to help in my Wii emulation, I would like it to perform very well on other demanding PC games.
for those two the 9800GT for sure, the 9600GT uses slower DDR2 so having 2GB It's COMPLETELY USELESS.

9800GT FTW.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well first off, this is my power supply:

HP 250W POWER SUPPLY 5187-1098 (HP-D2537F3R)

..and my motherboard:

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs -  Motherboard Specifications, MCP61PM-HM (Nettle) 

Would these newer cards work on my computer or do I need additional components? Also I've upped the price cap (<150ish) on my video card and these are the 2 I'm deciding between:

Newegg.ca - ZOTAC ZT-98GEY3P-FSR GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.ca - XFX PVT98WYDFU GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Although they are both nVidia, I am not biased (mostly because I don't know the difference) and would ideally like to buy the best performance card for my dollar, whatever the company.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.