Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
the multi-player mode in RE5 is a hell of alot better than the one used in the outbreak games.

·
Classic Games Lover
5,280 Posts
It is, but RE5 is not Resident Evil anymore, let alone a survival horror game (the series ceased to be a horror game with RE4 becoming the shooter anyway). If you want a good survival horror game get Dead Space.

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
I don't know what everyone keeps saying, but RE4 does indeed have survivor horror elements. Resident Evil was never a truly scary game to begin with, you want scary then Silent Hill or Fatal Frame may be of your tastes.

Umbrella is still running the show in RE4 and likely RE5, although their presence is not as dominant as in previous RE games due to the fact that word spread and Umbrella for the most part was driven off the face of the earth. Wesker still maintains a presence behind the scenes working in secret likely to avoid suspicions or unwanted attention, Umbrella is alive just not in the way it was before.

The Plaga's in RE4 can be compared to a much older yet more advanced version of the T/G-Virus, it creates smarter, faster, and stronger enemies. The monsters and enemies themselves are similar to what we are used to in RE games.

The villagers while they were zombies in a sense are not considered zombies because of their agility and higher functionality than normal "brain dead" zombies who just want to chew on you.

Umbrella likely had connections to the religious cult in RE4, which was just a side show diversion. Umbrella likely served as a fall back plan in case Saddler and the others failed, to cover up the incident as they attempted to do in previous RE games. This allowed Umbrella to keep a low profile and still proceed with their research and experiments without drawing attention to themselves. It's likely the Plaga's were researched by Umbrella and used extensively in experiments.

The Religious cult were just the guinea pigs and a diversion for Umbrella to continue their experiments while keeping a low profile away from the eyes of the government.

I'm not too familiar with the story of RE5, but I plan on picking it up soon and playing it to see if it offers any further explanations to the events in RE4.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
I don't know what everyone keeps saying, but RE4 does indeed have survivor horror elements.
Except for RE 5 its the worst in the series at that.
Resident Evil was never a truly scary game to begin with, you want scary then Silent Hill or Fatal Frame may be of your tastes.
Actually your wrong here in fact it was a Horror series to begin with (if RE 1 wasn't horror...) but as the series progressed it lost that factor more and more.

The Plaga's in RE4 can be compared to a much older yet more advanced version of the T/G-Virus, it creates smarter, faster, and stronger enemies. The monsters and enemies themselves are similar to what we are used to in RE games.
Monsters some yeah (and this only in RE5) but as for the rest it just isn't the same without zombies and this plagas are everything but advance zombies, they have to much autonomy.

The villagers while they were zombies in a sense are not considered zombies because of their agility and higher functionality than normal "brain dead" zombies who just want to chew on you.

Umbrella likely had connections to the religious cult in RE4, which was just a side show diversion. Umbrella likely served as a fall back plan in case Saddler and the others failed, to cover up the incident as they attempted to do in previous RE games. This allowed Umbrella to keep a low profile and still proceed with their research and experiments without drawing attention to themselves. It's likely the Plaga's were researched by Umbrella and used extensively in experiments.

The Religious cult were just the guinea pigs and a diversion for Umbrella to continue their experiments while keeping a low profile away from the eyes of the government.

I'm not too familiar with the story of RE5, but I plan on picking it up soon and playing it to see if it offers any further explanations to the events in RE4.
I'm sorry but go in to rescue the president daughter from some religious wakos while meting some old "friends" who want to get there hands on a thousands year parasite is a way weaker plot then the previous RE's, heck even survivor which features an orangutan as the main character has a better plot.

Don't get me wrong if this had some other name then RE i probably wouldn't be so critic about it i mean gameplay wise its not bad heck if you look outside the RE world the game as a whole ain't bad at all, but comparing to all other RE games its really bad it isn't even the same genre anymore and gameplay is totally changed...

·
Classic Games Lover
5,280 Posts
I don't know what everyone keeps saying, but RE4 does indeed have survivor horror elements. Resident Evil was never a truly scary game to begin with, you want scary then Silent Hill or Fatal Frame may be of your tastes.
I have to disagree here. I played the series since day one and it was scary, it had the athmosphere of trying to survive your way out of the Spencer Mansion, Raccoon City, etc. where conserving ammo was vital to make it. It wasn't SH scary, it was RE scary as I put it - different kind, but still. Starting with RE4 we just shoot our way through. Play some RE Remake, then RE5 and you'll suge huge difference. RE5 isn't scary at all, RE4 was a kinda scary but it had great atmosphere.

Umbrella is still running the show in RE4 and likely RE5, although their presence is not as dominant as in previous RE games due to the fact that word spread and Umbrella for the most part was driven off the face of the earth. Wesker still maintains a presence behind the scenes working in secret likely to avoid suspicions or unwanted attention, Umbrella is alive just not in the way it was before.
Umrella isn't running the show in neither of those games. In RE4 Wesker tries to obtain Las Plagas sample but Umrella had been done for long before that. Dunno where you got it from.

Las Plagas is the parasite, T/G are viruses. That's a huge difference. Can't really say which one creates more powerful monsters, that's a different story. I mean Saddler was quite powerful when you think of it but so was Tyrant, so were Hunters. You can't compare those two by looking through the zombie glass - zombies were only a by-product of the T-Virus, never intended to be used as B.O.W.s

There's no proof to backup this theory anywhere in RE4. Umbrella is non-existant there, except for some references from Krauser. But that only hints to Wesker wanting to revive Umbrella or making Krauser to think so. However Umbrella never put their hands on Las Plagas, that's certain.

·
Demon
1,204 Posts
I haven't played in co-op so I can't comment on the multiplayer portion of the game, but I enjoyed singleplayer. Sure, Sheva wasted a lot of bullets (bitc.h :D ) but she saved my beehive number of times. I usually gave her 3 health canister thingies, pistol and sniper and it worked like a charm.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
to me it was worse than re4, re5 had way too much action and little else well except graphics.... i knew coop will be crap because the game was way too linear, if the game had more open maps with multiple patchs where the team can split up (I dont mean those moments the game forces you to split up)...

the things what i liked most out of re4 is that it allowed back tracking to some extent whereas re5 has close to none, also i call re5 an action game than adventure because all you shoot 95% in the game... where is the puzzles (i dont call the crappy puzzles in re5 'puzzles' and more of finding the item)

·
Drowning in a red state.
9,083 Posts
to me it was worse than re4, re5 had way too much action and little else well except graphics.... i knew coop will be crap because the game was way too linear, if the game had more open maps with multiple patchs where the team can split up (I dont mean those moments the game forces you to split up)...

the things what i liked most out of re4 is that it allowed back tracking to some extent whereas re5 has close to none, also i call re5 an action game than adventure because all you shoot 95% in the game... where is the puzzles (i dont call the crappy puzzles in re5 'puzzles' and more of finding the item)
Pray do tell, what is the point of co-op if you split up.......?
Back tracking is epic fail to extend the game.
The development realized that ****ty minigame puzzles just fustrate the average gamer and nerfed them.

Your complaining about the good features in the game........?

You must like pointless

DE

·
Demon
1,204 Posts
Puzzles are often used to change the pace of the game and relax the player in the knowledge that he's not likely to get attacked until he solves the puzzle. Games like God of War and Zelda do this perfectly (changing of pace) and that combined with great level design is what makes those games enjoyable and fun.

While I'm talking about level design, one of the bigger problems RE5 had is that it was constant shooting in small corridors. Sure, the scenery changed but the basic layout of the levels remained the same. Small, crowded areas. They're not even maze-like. They're pretty much always a straight line with few turns to the left and right. In my opinion, the game would have been much more enjoyable if they focused more on level design than on Chris's triceps and biceps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.