Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think companies should really consider moving into the digital age. Rather than spending all their money on sueing people, why not give them what they want? Music downloads for less than a dollar a song would be preferrable, but it isn't the music industry that moved themselves into the digital age, it was Apple, and Steve Jobs. Now I have heard that there are movie sites too where you can pay to download movies....but even on broadband, downloading a DVD would have to take a while....then we have the videogame industry, who so far has done nothing but send cease and desist letters to rom sites. Now we know that the video game industry is aware of emulators....why don't they capitalize on them? Here is my idea....

You go to a website, or like itunes, download a software....you browse a collection of video games. Say you want a copy of Chrono Trigger for the SNES. So you give them your credit card number, and pay...let's say $5...to legally download the rom to play on your emulator of choice. I mean, come on!!! The emu authors have already made it to where the industry doesn't have to do anything themselves except run a server and pay for bandwidth!!! Imagine being able to download old Sega CD games, or NeoGeo, or even Saturn, if someone ever finishes an emu for it. So they don't want to sell these games in physical form anymore....why not in digital form??? They'd make a killing!!! Same thing with PC games too, not just for consoles.

Although I do think I have one idea why...especially in the case of Nintendo. How could they get people to pay $30 for gba remakes of nes games, when they could pay say...$3 for the same game in nes rom version online? But, on the plus side, it might also force game companies to come up with new stuff, rather than milking the old.

And also..if I understand correctly, companies wouldn't even have to translate the games either, as fan translations aren't illegal, just the roms are....so you could download a japanese rom legally, then patch it with a dejap translation.

And also if this system did ever happen, and it worked, then maybe the companies would even be able to help the emu authors by providing them with hardware documentation, thereby making the creation of emulators faster and easier.

The main reason for all of this: Who want's to have all these old systems still hooked up to their TV's, (and considering tv's only have a certain amount of ports, who want's to always be hooking up and unhooking different systems all the time???) all the game cartridges sitting around taking up space, when harddrives are becoming HUGE nowadays, you can have everything on one machine, and they could still make money off of it.

The biggest reason why piracy exists isn't because of money...it's because the companies aren't smart. They could still be making money off of the atari if they want to if they had a system like this set up. I don't complain that they want to make piracy illegal. I complain that they want to make it illegal, but still leave us without want we want....even if we want to pay for it.

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Well the thing with ROMs is, what prevents people from sharing ROM files with others? Why would someone pay to download something when it's available for free (especially when it's only a couple of megabytes)?

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the thing of it is, we all know that here soon they are going to completely illegalize file sharing and enforce copyright violation, plus I really have the feeling that alot of people (especially the ones here by the way they talk) would actually pay just to know that they paid for it, rather than having to resort to piracy. I firmly believe alot of people don't pirate because they want to, but more because they feel that they need too. Which is the whole point of this thread. I feel the illegalizing piracy is a GREAT thing to do, but I feel that it would be totally in vain if they made everything illegal, but then didn't offer us a legal way to do it instead. And as long as they had decent prices, I'm sure most people would be more than willing to pay them. Say 50 cents for old atari games, and maybe $2-3 for nes games....$4-5 for snes games.....between $5 and $10 for playstation games....I think people would buy them....if not for nostalgia alone...and also for one other major reason. They would be getting it from an offical server, and would not have to worry about virus and trojans, and anything else people have to worry about when going to sites like that.

·
Banned
177 Posts
Sharing old games, new games now is already extremely simple. I think the corps should take advantage and try to extract at least some money from it even if they will be shared... they already are :p

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
If they made mp3's cheaper and at nice bitrates I would purchase them. In canada there aren't many choices, and the bitrates are horrible for what they're asking. PC games drop in price (retail) very fast, so that's not a bother for me to buy them. But if they were ready for legal download for good competitive prices (like $45.00 - $50.00 instead of $60.00) I would definately download games and such ... Right now, they are asking too much for digital goods.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I agree they should capatalize the stuff so people can download them like with movies,instead of having to pay extra cash everytime you want to see a movie in the theatres just one time low fee to download and watch when ever you want with no extra fees.As for games with ps2 and whatnot i just wait for them to be on sale or buy them used later on so they will be alot cheaper.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
I think it's neat that Rockstar has some of their older PC games available for free download (GTA1, Wild Metal, and recently GTA2). Maybe some other companies could do the same thing :).

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Razor Blade said:
If they made mp3's cheaper and at nice bitrates I would purchase them. In canada there aren't many choices, and the bitrates are horrible for what they're asking. PC games drop in price (retail) very fast, so that's not a bother for me to buy them. But if they were ready for legal download for good competitive prices (like $45.00 - $50.00 instead of $60.00) I would definately download games and such ... Right now, they are asking too much for digital goods.
What bitrate do you have your tracks in? Anything from about 160-192 kbps and up you really can't tell the different between it and the original .wav file, expecially if it's in VBR....you'd have to really be an audiophile to hear the difference.

@n_w95482 I think it's great that rockstar is doing that too....but I was kinda looking at the bigger picture. Like Sony could run a website for all ps2 stuff, Nintendo could do theirs....you could have most stuff on just a couple centralized servers....then they could take care of all the other companies (Squaresoft, Capcom, etc) getting their money. As to who would run the main server for pc games...I don't know....don't really want to say Micro$oft....

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Jldnr77 said:
What bitrate do you have your tracks in? Anything from about 160-192 kbps and up you really can't tell the different between it and the original .wav file, expecially if it's in VBR....you'd have to really be an audiophile to hear the difference.
I have all my mp3's at 192. Anything higher I really can't tell. Even 160 would be nice. But some sites are charging .99 for 128kbps. I can't stand that. It's supposebly 'CD Quality' But believe me, after listening to a CD than that, it's not.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
I got a program that creates high quality 128kb/s MP3's which sound like a normal CD, or very close to it. But I also heard 192kb/s files that sound like crap.... It depends a lot on the program. And yeah, I'm a critic when it comes to quality of digital music.

@ NW: Does Rockstar also provide the DC version of GTA 2?? :innocent:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts