Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

I just got myself a new motherboard and I want to install it without reformating my whole system. Is there any way it can be done? I'm on win2k.

I have tried simply just replacing the existing motherboard with the new one and booting up. windows 2000 pro would just stop booting up after a while and say a file is missing and that i have to reinstall. anybody successfully done it?

thanks in advance.

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
the problem is probably due to the fact that 2000 isn't detecting your hardware right.

this works for 98, but i haven't tried it using 2000, here's an awkward way of doing it.
1. copy your default hardware config to a new name, maybe once or twice.
2. reboot.
3. at start-up, you should see a menu to choose which hardware config to use, choose "none of the above" and the o/s should start detecting your hardware.

well, i hope it helps, but i'm not at all sure if it'l work in 2000.
:)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the quick reply xeven. appreciate it.

the new question is :emb: how do i get into win2k with the new motherboard to do the hardware profile copy? it stops booting at the stage where it actually asks if i want to boot to safe mode.

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
umm, i guess you put back the old board right? if not, howbout trying that.. or just try to go into safemode, but i don't remember if you have a the hardware config tab on safemode...

guess the steps should be:
1. use the old board to copy the hardware configs.
2. put in the new board.
3. proceed with previous steps.

but, i tell you, even if this works, one way or another you'll prolly need to reinstall everything at one point or another, because doing this is just too "dirty" IMO. :)

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
i say a quick backup before replacement, then formatting and reinstalling the OS is a quicker, easier way.

hehehe, parang may alam ako ah! :p

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
You don't need to goto all the hassle of change the board or wiping your system. Boot into the win2k setup using the cd. Then reinstall the on top of the existing one. You won't lose any current setings and the setup program will detect the new mobo and install the nessesary support files.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts