Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while I was playing TDU a while ago, my game was rudely interrupted when my PC just randomly restarted. I figured I'd check the temps, and then came a surprise.

After re-booting, the motherboard was running at 60C idle, and when I again started my game (with ASUS PC-Probe running in the background), my game was again cut short, but this time, it just closed to desktop. The temps at the time were 64C (after ~10 minutes of gaming).

I'm getting worried about this, by what people have said before, motherboard temps should ideally not exceed 60C, and mine's idling at 60. Checked the fan speed and voltage, but that was all normal. The CPU temp was also pretty low (at 41C)

So now I've opened up one of the side-panels of the case, and idle temp is now down to 52 C. I also ran the Prime95 CPU torture test (with the max heat option) but the temps didn't change, only thing that happened was that the CPU spiked to 61 (which is normal, isn't it?).

What I'd like to know is what suddenly happened that made my temps go so high, the temperature here lately has increased dramatically (my room temp is 33-34C) but still, it's like this every year, so there's no reason for it to give trouble just now.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well there is a s***load of of dust inside my case, I'll try cleaning it out. Removing the side-panel has made a significant difference though.

With side-panel:
Idle: 60C
10 minutes gaming: 64C

Without side-panel
Idle: 52C
50 minutes gaming: 59C

And if things still don't go well, then I have a 2 foot house-fan on stand-by :D

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
theres clearly not enough air circulating in the case.

how have you got the case fans setup?

pictures would help.

·
代言人
10,499 Posts
If you get heat cramped up inside your cage or chip, the temp will keep rising due to the properties of the hardware(more heat = higher conductivity = more current = more heat = more...). So, you'll end up with a infinite feedback loop until your comp reaches its shot down temperature.
You should get proper air flow and decent surface area for heat ejection.

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thankfully temps are staying <60 C now *breathes a sigh of relief*

@Squall: There's 2 case fans (apart from the one in the PSU that is) I'll get pics in a few hours.

·
The Hunter
17,202 Posts
I agree with the general suggestions.

1. Always try to keep your pc clean, it's like a baby arse, it needs to be wiped every now and then to keep it shiny as new
2. Bad airflow can rack up the temperatures in no time, badly. I see it with my GF's PC, which only allows a PSU fan to take out the hot air. And despite the 4670 and e4400 being relatively cool pieces of hardware, temperatures just rise like crazy. From my experience you will need at least a proper 12cm fan exhaust, and preferably something the same size as an intake. Though you may want to filter the intake, which helps tremendously. You can make your own filter by asking some old stockings of your mum if your case doesn't come with it :p

·
TEKKEN LORD
1,332 Posts
you should also check the fan direction if you have installed them yourself (suction or discharge )
try to keep the case open in sumer time if there is no problem with that (I love looking at the entrails of my pc this is why i always have the side panel removed ) plus the good airflow helps a lot since i live in the hottest place on earth

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
keeping the case open actually disrupts the air flow.

since 2 fans are extracting air from the case, you might benefit by buying a faster fan for the front to bring more air in.

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah there's room for 2 fans in the front, but there's an HD in its path that would disrupt the air flow. Oh well, I guess its worth a shot, doesn't cost much either.

Oh, and thanks for the advice guys :) Here are the pics if they help, as you can see there is quite a bit of dust in there.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
Gamefreak, regardless of whether theres a hdd in the way, it still would introduce cool air into the case.

your current setup is extracting more cool and warm air from the case, then you are bringing into it.

you should attack that heatsink with a vacuum cleaner btw. and clean those fans out regularly.

·
代言人
10,499 Posts
Clean it up and get new faster fan'S' and filter'S'.
If you are that lazy, just take a vacuum and vacuum the crap out of it...

In ideal situation, your fan should be fast enough to keep the surface clean and the only places you need to clean are corners and filters.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
indeed, an efficient cooling setup usually prevents much of the dust from settling :p

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay so I just cleaned the thing, I was actually surprised at the shear amount of dust that has settled in there. Seems like I was cleaning a drawer that hasn't been opened in years oO

And yeah, I'll put in 2 frontal PC fans, and also some dust filters along with them to get the thing clean.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
my advice. make sure they are atleast 0.24A case fans, such as the controllable fans from thermaltake(0.48A max). They are slightly noiser but the CFM is higher and they push alot more air. the differences of component temps with faster cool air intake is between 10-15c

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
You want pictures of the computer sitting across the room from me Spyhop? it belongs to my uncle,... i still have to fix it >.<

anyway.... gamefreaks pc is clean compared to it.

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How do people allow ANYTHING to get that dirty?
You haven't seen the shear amount of dust in the air here, seriously. Developed countries are squeaky clean compared to here. If someone doesn't mop the floor in 2 days, it becomes hard to walk on it!

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
sitting a wet rag on an upright fan helps to catch dust.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.