Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Well I recently saw a review of the MSI K7T Turbo-R(which I'm planning to buy for an Athlon 1.33GHz too)and it seems to be a really good card.
If you want to see this review go to:
www.joystick.fr (french site,so for non french readers it's useless to go).

S

·
0 Posts
I have an Athlon T-Bird 1.2ghz which is only slightly above the 1.33ghz you're planning to buy. I use a Soyo SY-K7VTA Pro motherboard and have found it to be excellent. You might want to consider this board as well.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
680 Posts
Definitely Abit KT7 Series - you can max your Athlon with it

But there are always some choices: ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, and Soltek(my board - stable as it can get!) :cool:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I fixed a few up with the Abit KT7 RAID.. ohhh man... that motherboard will become a like a secret lover if your not carefull... talk about pure whole some goodness... as a matter of fact, almost all of a-bits bords are like that...

·
Registered
680 Posts
But Beware with ABIT KT7A Series (VIA 686B and KT133A chipset) - have serious Bug with Creative SoundBlaster Live.
this is a known bug (VIA clear this up - its on their chipset) . but anyway, ABIT is always da best! :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you are going SDR then the Iwill KK266
If you are going DDR then the Epox 8K7A or Gigabyte 7dx

they're the most stable, highest performing, best overclocking boards you can get.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'd been thinking about retiring a P3 500 of mine in lieu of a new Tbird 1.4Ghz proc. Can anyone suggest a fairly "basic" motherboard (that is, no onboard sound, RAID, etc.) that supports a 1.4Ghz proc and runs without too many issues? As you may have noticed, having alot of features really isn't a requirement, nor am I really interested in OCing (it's for a production machine, so I'm mostly interested in stability). Granted, if it's a good value yet includes RAID, OC ability, or onboard sound, fine, it's just not a priority. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The motherboards I mentioned will handle it fine. One issue people overlook with a 1.4ghz system is the power supply. The 1.4 drains enough power to require a 300w absolute minimum. In fact AMD recommends a 400watt PS for the 1.4ghz.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I don't know if other mobo manufacturers suffer from something similar (nor do I know if it's a problem only suffered by Slot 1 and Socket 370-based boards), but a recent batch of Abit motherboards are plagued with some incorrectly functioning capacitors near the processor. Just recently I'd helped someone with a problematic P3 using a BE6 II in such a situation. The caps had actually buckled and were leaking. If you have such a problem, sometimes underclocking your processor yields effective results, but be aware that you should try and have your motherboard repaired as soon as possible.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
How much did it cost(en francs) to you?(haven't bought it yet)

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
No need for this there's a shop near where I live where the prices are ridiculously low!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts