Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
Well I recently saw a review of the MSI K7T Turbo-R(which I'm planning to buy for an Athlon 1.33GHz too)and it seems to be a really good card.
If you want to see this review go to:
www.joystick.fr (french site,so for non french readers it's useless to go).

G

·
I have an Athlon T-Bird 1.2ghz which is only slightly above the 1.33ghz you're planning to buy. I use a Soyo SY-K7VTA Pro motherboard and have found it to be excellent. You might want to consider this board as well.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
230 Posts
I fixed a few up with the Abit KT7 RAID.. ohhh man... that motherboard will become a like a secret lover if your not carefull... talk about pure whole some goodness... as a matter of fact, almost all of a-bits bords are like that...

·
Registered
680 Posts
But Beware with ABIT KT7A Series (VIA 686B and KT133A chipset) - have serious Bug with Creative SoundBlaster Live.
this is a known bug (VIA clear this up - its on their chipset) . but anyway, ABIT is always da best! :D

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'd been thinking about retiring a P3 500 of mine in lieu of a new Tbird 1.4Ghz proc. Can anyone suggest a fairly "basic" motherboard (that is, no onboard sound, RAID, etc.) that supports a 1.4Ghz proc and runs without too many issues? As you may have noticed, having alot of features really isn't a requirement, nor am I really interested in OCing (it's for a production machine, so I'm mostly interested in stability). Granted, if it's a good value yet includes RAID, OC ability, or onboard sound, fine, it's just not a priority. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The motherboards I mentioned will handle it fine. One issue people overlook with a 1.4ghz system is the power supply. The 1.4 drains enough power to require a 300w absolute minimum. In fact AMD recommends a 400watt PS for the 1.4ghz.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I don't know if other mobo manufacturers suffer from something similar (nor do I know if it's a problem only suffered by Slot 1 and Socket 370-based boards), but a recent batch of Abit motherboards are plagued with some incorrectly functioning capacitors near the processor. Just recently I'd helped someone with a problematic P3 using a BE6 II in such a situation. The caps had actually buckled and were leaking. If you have such a problem, sometimes underclocking your processor yields effective results, but be aware that you should try and have your motherboard repaired as soon as possible.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.