Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone out there working on getting the arcade versions of Mortal Kombat (MK4 not included) to run on any other arcade emulator besides MAME?

I'm getting really annoyed with the fact that MAME's the only emulator that can run these games. MAME is an extreme CPU whore. Right now I'm stuck with old computers, and I'm running the MK arcade games in FastMAME 0.71b. It's the only version of that emulator that my computer can run the games at full speed on. Even then I have to suffice with the graphic corruption in Ultimate MK3, even though it was fixed in later (laggier) versions of MAME.

If Mortal Kombat could work in Final Burn Alpha, which I've always loved because of its speed and compatibility, that would be great. I'm just sick of trying to fiddle with MAME. One douche bag on MAMEWorld said he was glad that MAME's the only emulator that can run MK. I really want to upset him by persuading devs to make the games run on another arcade emulator.

Back to my question: Anyone out there working on getting MK arcade to work in a different emulator besides MAME?

·
lazy shmupper
897 Posts
Well, just pick teh PS1 versions and play'em on ePSXe or PSX 1.13

Choose Mortal Kombat Trilogy if you're very hardcore...

Warning: there are many revisions of that 'compilation' (with bugfixes etc) so try to find the lastest one: the 'Greatest Hits edition'.

MK Trilogy's gameplay is mostly based on Ultimate MK3, so not everybody may like it.

Fortunately, MK2 & MK3 also exist as standalone editions on the PS1. ^^

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate your help, but the PSX versions just aren't the same.

I forgot to mention that I bought Midway Arcade Treasures: Deluxe Edition for the PC, which has Mortal Kombat 1, 2, and 3. However, this isn't the CD-based version that's got StarForce protection on it and no music. This is the UK DVD version, which removes StarForce and adds music to all the games.

On Midway Arcade, the games run really smooth. No tearing or stuttering while the screen is scrolling, something MAME always had trouble with. The game speed is slightly faster and the music and sound is really crisp.

There's only three problems though:
-UMK3's not included. I like regular MK3 better just because the game feels more complete and consistent, so I can live with that. I've got UMK3 on PS2 anyway as part of MK Armageddon.
-Character shadows glitch up. This was always a problem with every release of Midway Arcade, but I've also got the compilation on PS2 and PSP, so I'm used to it now.
-Some computers I've been on label Midway Arcade as a virus. I don't know why, because I've scanned the game with numerous anti-virus programs and none of them said it was infected. I brought this matter up to a tech support forum, so they should be able to help me with it.

So now, when it comes to playing Mortal Kombat arcade on my computer, I'm gonna play it via Midway Arcade Deluxe Edition, because I'm so happy with it. As for MAME, I'm just gonna boycott it until someone finally decides to stop being lazy and make the games for another arcade emulator. I'm NOT dissing the emulation community, I just think that MAME's been the only MK arcade emulator for way too long. Don't you agree?

·
lazy shmupper
897 Posts
Well the PS1 releases aren't that far away from the arcades IMHO, but i'm not that big a MK fan to notice all of the differences.

MK2 & MK3 looked like decent ports to me...

It's true that Mame's a cpu whore, but the old ***** actually does a lot of things right.
You just need the power. ><

I still believe ePSXe is he best alternative... or else you'll have to get a faster cpu. TT

·
Registered
42 Posts
the closest to Arcade Perfect MK2 is either Midway Arcade Treasures on PS2 or the 32x port, UMK3 has never had a decent port except the one that came with Armageddon, and Trilogy is broken beyond repair to begin with; having said that, i dislike MAME for being so damn heavy and kinda tricky to configure even if it runs the actual Arcade games

my dream is to have Midway T Unit and Midway Wolf Unit emulation on WinKawaks, however i've never gotten a response from the developer(s), perhaps this is a good chance to start a small movement and maybe change their minds ;)

the public adresses for the CPS2-Shock team (the WinKawaks devs) are these:

[email protected] and [email protected]

·
Registered
42 Posts
You guys can also try to purchase the genuine arcade bords you know. ^^

They're not that expensive today...
they are expensive, if you have to import them to a third world country :(

besides, what's the point of posting in Ngemu if i wanted to buy the actual arcade machines? :p

·
lazy shmupper
897 Posts
Yes that can be expensive depending on where you are (insane shipping costs) and the currency exchange rates... but still, the boards can sometimes be found really cheap (cheaper than a PS3/360 game) if you watch eBay regularly and carefully.

The point in owning real arcade boards is to be able to play the real deal if you're not satisfied with emulation (wich is the case for many MK fans it seems).

Personally I own all kinds of games and hardwares, including arcade boards, but I like emulation too because it's necessary and convenient.

Anyway, the first reason for posting on ngemu is to like (love!) video games isn't it ? :p

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've actually had nothing but positive responses everywhere i mention the idea of adding Midway T and Midway Wolf Units to WinKawaks, unfortunetely nobody, including myself, has the technical knowledge to do it :(

man, i wish there was a way of reaching the developers

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
and what the devs will do it for you, they went through the mundane tasks of emulating cps systems and neo geo as well....

as for getting a performance increase, it is impossible.... look at the performance difference to neogeo and cps2 games on mame and to other emulators like winkawaks and you will see a small performance improvement, the performance improvement will be less for midway games since their games run at a higher resolution is more complex to run

also it is is easier for the devs just to make a new emulator for the midway games as it emulators like fba, winkawaks and the others are obviously optimised for cps systems and wil require a complete rewrite to support midway systems

·
Registered
42 Posts
while it's true that it would probably be easier to just write an entirely new emulator, i'm counting on the fact that the devs will most likely add CPS-3 and Atomiswave emulation to Kawaks at some point, what i'm trying to request is that, if they do add more hardware to their project, why not include the T and Wolf Units while they're at it? :wub:

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
Kawaks should be given up on IMO, it barely updates and pretty much only to update the DAT definitions as according to the latest MAME definition revision.

FinalburnAlpha updates more often and runs as well if not better.
For everything else, MAME Plus Plus/MAMEPPK would work faster than the 'vanilla' MAME/MAMEUI.

·
Registered
42 Posts
the problem with any MAME distribution/fork is that it's a waste of space, drivers, capacity etc. to have ALL THOSE DRIVERS and the rest of the stuff, when i, for example, only care about NeoGeo and the Midway boards, not even the CPS boards

Kawaks is the best arcade emu for people like me, it ONLY has CPS and NeoGeo support, it's super light, super easy to setup and configure, super accurate, super user-friendly... must i go on?

hence why i wish razoola or... whoever is in charge would add Midway T and Wolf Units to the Drivers :(

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Kawaks is the best arcade emu for people like me, it ONLY has CPS and NeoGeo support, it's super light, super easy to setup and configure, super accurate, super user-friendly... must i go on?
easy to setup and configure? get mame front end or try the many distros, and you get the same....

super accurate? err wrong, very wrong there mame is all about accuracy so i cant see where get that from, heck i see real timing identical to arcades, therefore accurate ai response to the real arcades... maybe you need to play arcades again... you wont get this with either winkawaks or final burn because they use speed hacks that put the timing off

super user-friendly? look at what i said for setup and configure

i didnt say anything for super light because it does have to support allot of systems, but for in my opinion it is light considering it does support so many systems that no emulator can compare, plus did mention the accuracy and the fact they try to avoid using speed hacks...

so come one are so cheap to not afford a comp that is fast enough to run mortal kombat games on mame, also are you really so dumb that you cant figure out mame, heck i knew people who figured out how to use mame in command line and ditched the gui

but hey you just cant be happy with what you got and just like to annoy the dev to spend months to support mortal kombat for you

·
Registered
42 Posts
easy to setup and configure? get mame front end or try the many distros, and you get the same....

super accurate? err wrong, very wrong there mame is all about accuracy so i cant see where get that from, heck i see real timing identical to arcades, therefore accurate ai response to the real arcades... maybe you need to play arcades again... you wont get this with either winkawaks or final burn because they use speed hacks that put the timing off

super user-friendly? look at what i said for setup and configure

i didnt say anything for super light because it does have to support allot of systems, but for in my opinion it is light considering it does support so many systems that no emulator can compare, plus did mention the accuracy and the fact they try to avoid using speed hacks...

so come one are so cheap to not afford a comp that is fast enough to run mortal kombat games on mame, also are you really so dumb that you cant figure out mame, heck i knew people who figured out how to use mame in command line and ditched the gui

but hey you just cant be happy with what you got and just like to annoy the dev to spend months to support mortal kombat for you
...what?

dude you need to work on your grammar, further more, chill out, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, if you disagree because you're a die-hard mame fan-boy, that's ok, but don't go calling people dumb; and if you're gonna make claims of anyone using "speed hacks" and x-emulator being more accurate than y-emulator, you better show some proof

btw i have a Quad-core, 4GB RAM computer with a 1TB HDD, so it's not "i'm so cheap i won't buy a comp that runs MK on MAME" i just dislike MAME

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
The same benchmark MAMEUI uses can be reproduced for MAME 0.138 and MAMEPPK 0.138 for MK games.

Arguing about accuracy is of no use if speed and ressource consumption was the actual issue. Kinda sad how "cycle accuracy" replaced the "instruction accuracy" that has been the norm in emulators since the dawn of those and had compatibility measured against. Latest buzzword, I guess.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
if you disagree because you're a die-hard mame fan-boy, that's ok, but don't go calling people dumb; and if you're gonna make claims of anyone using "speed hacks" and x-emulator being more accurate than y-emulator, you better show some proof
i am not a fanboy of mame, all i was stating was facts, but hey you can have you opinion but all i was stating was you said about mame is false

as for proof, dont you know mames development policy, its about accuracy but hey you need proof, fine play the metal slug games and see it slow down in mame just like the real arcades and play it on fba or winkawaks and you see there is no slow downs unless you got a really slow comp, why it is using speedhacks and things like emulating the neogeo cpu at higher speed....

also how about the start of games giving you accurate bios screens or the fact that you have to install cps3 games that arent cracked

calling me fanboy is an insult, i am not at fan of mame, i didnt say anything of the sort or made any biased claim that mame is superior to any emulator but with you having a troll after troll about having mk on another emulator when there is a perfectly working emulator for it well calling me a fanboy is no big surprise as you just dont want to accept fact

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
Superior implementation that generates the same practical result is not 'speed hacks', nor does it have to sacrifice 'accuracy'.
Now enough with the bickering, and back to the actual topic.

Anyone out there working on getting MK arcade to work in a different emulator besides MAME?
No. Regarding FBA, adding a driver would not suffice. I believe the devs elaborated somewhat on the surface technicalities, and their lack of interest in undertaking such a task for a game they don't even like.

You could ask the people behind FBA Shuffle. It's more experimental and would be a fitting testbed for a tryout inclusion.

·
Registered
42 Posts
so far i've tried reaching the FBA, FBA Shuffle and of course, the WinKawaks devs, no response :(

...i find it strange that MK is not as popular in the arcade emulation world as say, the NeoGeo games, surely anything made by Capcom is wildly popular but i was under the impression that MK and KOF were about tied in public-awareness

oh well, maybe someone will read this topic and start his/her own project for NeoGeo and Midway hardware exclusively :wub:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts