Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the help, just wondering is it very difficult to replace my motherboard?? Should i be able to do it myself??
Also wondering is their any difference between my creative pci geoforce 2mx and dedicated agp mx's or is the difference solely down to the pci interface.
Also i want to buy a cdrw to make back ups of playstation games i don't need anything ultra fast or state of the art just one that works whaddya recommend. Also would backups made from a cdrw work on a chipped ps2 ;) i know they work on chipped ps1.
Finally :D i was wondering which next gen console i should buy should i buy a mod chipped ps2 or wait on x-box and game cube?? i know it's a dumb question and it's down to personal taste but i just don't want to buy a ps2 and for it to be completely blown out of the water by the x-box, is the x-box that powerful as to render the ps2 out of date???
Sorry again:eek: for all the questions but i've been needin to ask these questions for a while and this board is smokin:D

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
is it difficult to replace motherboard? hard to say

imho, the trickiest part is actually the mounting between case and mobo. i think there really isnt a consistent standard, and it's not the easiest to figure out.
once you get past that, however, it's a simple case of connecting the right wires. your new mobo should come with good enough instruction. diagrams should be simple, but you need some minimal knowledge about electronic circuit diagrams, to line up the pins of a plug correctly for example.
some connections are also not mentioned in paper, such as cpu temperature sensor. you should have someone familiar with this kinda stuff to double check your work afterwards.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ok, part of the following is my opinon so....

First off, the motherboard... It is fairly easy to replace, but you need some minimalistic knowledge like stated above... There actually is a "standard" (not offically) for mounting them. Do you have an orderd system (dell, compaq, gateway) or a computer shop system.. If you have an orderd system, it might be a little more difficult due to the specally desinged mobo's that most of thoes companies use to cut cost. Just remember not to shock anything with static electricy. I have never ruined anything in my 6+ years of computer hardware work (knock on wood), but it could happen to you... So be a wee bit careful.

Ok, now the console... I am personally waiting for the Game Cube *drool* ... I am a hardcore nintendo fan... The games on their systems are just simply wonderful to play... The PS2 is having some rough times, and i sold mine soon after i got it because it was a let down... Now the x-box is a diffent story.. Microsoft never made any good games. And now they are making a console system... So no matter what the hype says, its going to be a coin toss..

Also keep in mind the price range, xbox and ps2 are $300, while the gamecube is $200... The gamecube is going to be just as capable as the xbox and ps2. The specs that nintendo has issued may seem lower than the xbox or ps2, but they are real world performance, versus the specs that the xbox and ps2 are going by are purely theoretical.

You should check out http://www.ign.com
They can answer most of your questions... Good luck, and god bless nintendo..

·
Registered
230 Posts
oh yes, one more thing about the motherboard, if you decide to replace it, its a good idea to draw a diagram of where all the wires were plugged in at on your old motherboard so you have a good chance of telling where they go on you new one and if you have to, being able to put the old one back in properly...

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
As far as I can tell from creatives web site the only differneces between the pci and agp version is that of the slots themselves.

That said pci is a slower bus and as such you would not get the full benefit of the card.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
yep nintendo sounds to be a bargain, we'll see.

i would think the gamecube's as good as i'd ever want.
just see this actual in game shot. no kidding, it's not the movie.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
WOW!!! :eek: :eyespin: :smash: :eyemove: :love:

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
BTW rewritable discs don't work with PS1.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Along with PCI cards being slower, they cannot use system memory for textures.... if the need ever arose...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts