Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a similar post before, but I can't help asking again, with my particular requirement:
Is there any way we can get the detailed documentation about NV20/2a? I mean the specification on programming the hardware registers, with, of course, the meaning of each command.
If not, do you think it's possible to make one by reading the existing source codes from nvidia? I did get some clue in this bbs that there are useful info in xfree86 project.
Even if we can, one problem of me is that I'm not fimiliar with how a video card ( especially a 3d accelerator ) works. Maybe some of you will do me a favor showing me some guide docs on this topic ( I do know something about cpu and device interfaces to software programmers ).
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Hi, and welcome to emuforums. I may not have the info you are looking for, but please try this link to the nvidia developers home page

http://developer.nvidia.com/page/home

I hope this is at least 1% helpful at the least :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I hadn't been on this site before.
There are really many stuff there, but with a quick scan, I haven't found the exact infomation I want. Maybe they don't provide this to public.

In fact, I always wonder how people can find such kind of info for, say PlayStation GPU. We know there are really good hareware-level emulators for PS, and I think they have to get the low-level interface documentation before they can emulate the GPU.
To my knowledge, it seems impossible to get the info by hacking---though I know little about hardware design.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Such low level information about hardware is often leaked one way or another, any such stolen material is most likely considered be illegal. If you make any drivers or similar with the information you will most likely be under alot of pressure from nvidia, if they manage to find out who you are of course (encrypt your data). Other ways would be to reverse engineer the drivers, not an easy task but quite possible if you spend weeks analysing the code that talks to the device and the data sent to it.

Oh and for the consoles, such information is often provided to the software developers making games. But now with microsoft on the market, they provide the sdk instead, so they can keep the actual hardware abstracted and therefore also information about it harder to aquire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Lento. It make sense to me.
But I guess only those who are fimiliar with these fields ( video card/3d accelerator programming and reverse engineering ) can do it in "weeks".
I always want to make something interesting, but I'm too used to progamming with full supports of documentation, and too lazy, by the way. It seems there are lot of things to learn.

And in our country, a nvidia can't give any pressure: you get arrested if you complain about the government in public. But CopyRight? damn it, the govenment and the court don't know what it is.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Reverse engineering can be really fun, I did it for a container-fileformat of an mmorpg. I did the mistake of posting my tool, with sources and description of the format on my website. A few hours later I got banned from the game, they never even contacted me. I removed it later because obviously they didn't want it around, I'll probably put it back on my website someday. But it was all good, I learned a little and it was a fun one-day project. ;)

reteam has some nice material on their website:
http://www.reteam.org

1 - 6 of 6 Posts